Thanks

The Protector [Now with Jet Li vs. Tony Jaa video battle]

EDIT: just saw the sequence where Jaa is versus the crazy-88 (minus kato masks). HOLY SHIT!

---------

Finally watching this movie. Great fighting by Jaa of Ong-Bak fame as expected, but. His stuntment, aka kick-to-the-head living targets, are anticipating his moves too soon. Like they freeze waiting for the hit, except for the first heel-to-the-head dude. I think he didn't get much of a chance to set himself!

So far, chase sequences are alright, butt kicking by Jaa...crazy! But stuntguys, they suck. Definitely not a Hong Kong crew.

Talk about HK...they should make a movie where Jaa rescues his buddha or baby elephant in Hong Kong. And make Jet Li the bad guy (see, he doens't have to wear a pigtail so he should make this movie with Jaa )
    Last edited by FlipMcgee; July 23rd, 2007 at 09:57 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    that would be pretty fuckin tight actually.

Thanks
    THe fight scenes in that movie are amazing, the story and acting were eh, but thats not really why we are watching em in the first place. I liked ong bak a bit better .But in TYG the final fight where he breaks about 40-50 different arms, legs, and god knows what other kinds of bones is just friggen awesome.

Thanks
    ... and he gets to kneecap people in the face. That's awesome.

Thanks
    I thought this would be ok to post in here. If anyones a Tony Jaa fan I'm sure they are a fan to Bruce Lee.

Chuck Norris Sucks...
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Jaa is fantastic to watch. his movie plots are usually always the same and the acting and stuntmen are indeed a bit 'inexperienced' but who gives a crap. its still freakin awesome to watch him kick so much ass and pull off those crazy stunts this guys got serious skill..

to see Jaa and Li go at it would be interesting. throw in a little jackie chan and your eyes would be jumping all over the screen.. but Bruce Lees is still the master - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JAG. View Post
    Jaa is fantastic to watch. his movie plots are usually always the same and the acting and stuntmen are indeed a bit 'inexperienced' but who gives a crap. its still freakin awesome to watch him kick so much ass and pull off those crazy stunts this guys got serious skill..

to see Jaa and Li go at it would be interesting. throw in a little jackie chan and your eyes would be jumping all over the screen.. but Bruce Lees is still the master - JAG

quoted for the truth, i don't think anyone will ever top Bruce Lee. Not only was he an amazing martial artist, but he had one of the most vivid and unique on screen personalities. He brought martial arts alive and wasn't just another guy who was really good. Plus not many people realize how small he was, and for such a small guy he could do insane things, plus he was ripped beyond belief.

Thanks
    Yeah, Bruce lee kicked ass but Martial arts movies got kinda soft over the years until I discoved Ong Bak. Tony Jaa Hiyaaa. Remember all of Jackie Chans old movie Witaaay. And all of Jet Li really old movies. Biyaaa Kiyaaa. I love em all.

I fixed it.
    Last edited by Micaiah Nelson; July 20th, 2007 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks
    lol i'm sorry micaiah I had to do this...

Ong Pak= Ong Bak

Jackie Jan= Jackie Chan

Jet Lee= Jet Li

Still though. Let your spirit live on...Kiiyahh!
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

Thanks
    WHataay.pld: LOL my bad. My bad. I'm lazy. I blame it on text messaging.

Thanks
    Tony Jaa's dat dude. The moment he flies into the screen at the first hideout the ass-whoopins don't stop.

After going through a few years of wire-fu and CG, it's refreshing to see some actual real life action. That's what made Jackie's movies so cool.

Muy Thai is the $#!t.
    "Afraid not of none of you cowards but of my own strength"

Gallery

Thanks
    anyone watch that show Human Weapon that just debuted on the history channel? [or whatever]

it was all about muai tai and man those that practice it are nuts. kids as young as 15 are competing professionally and 8yr olds are in training! and any one of them could woop my ass.

next weeks episode should be cool, but im a fan of all martial arts so they'll all be cool.

the two hosts are douche bags though.. - JAG

Thanks
    The protector blew my mind, best martial art movie I've seen in a long time. I'm pretty much sick to death of wire-fu and CG-fu.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LateNiteHype View Post
    Tony Jaa's dat dude. The moment he flies into the screen at the first hideout the ass-whoopins don't stop.

After going through a few years of wire-fu and CG, it's refreshing to see some actual real life action. That's what made Jackie's movies so cool.

Muy Thai is the $#!t.
    Muay Thai is pretty amazing, but Muay Boran is crazier. I think Tony Jaa incorporates a lot more Boran then Thai. I'm not sure though, as I've not studied in either.

Bruce Lee is still the best.

Thanks
    Jet Li vs. Tony Jaa....the youtube battle !!!!

VS.

Thanks
    I'm sorry, I've been a fan of MMA for so long I can't even watch this type of crap anymore.

Thanks
    Screw both of them, go elephant!
    Jaa's elbow moves are always amazing IMO

Thanks
    what about donnie yen?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    I'm sorry, I've been a fan of MMA for so long I can't even watch this type of crap anymore.
    Can't really compare the two as they're not the same. MMA is fighting and this is choreography, it's more like dance, think capoeira.

Thanks
    donny yen definitely has the moves. but i dunno that he could take Jaa in a full on fight. Jaa's hits are just so hard, but Yen is definitely fast. itd be cool to see though. of course, Bruce Lee would kill both of them.. - JAG

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by armando View Post
    Can't really compare the two as they're not the same. MMA is fighting and this is choreography, it's more like dance, think capoeira.
    The number of people who think it is fighting though, astounds me. That flying spinning kicking crap impresses a lot of people.

To me though, there's nothing more beautiful than a beautifully executed choke =)

Thanks
    Are you saying that Bruce Lee was not a good fighter? i guess it's a pointless argument since he is dead, still though. Even Tony Jaa seems to be able to kick someones ass in real life due to his training in real life. But, i dont know how much more he focuses on showmanship compaired to actual execution in a real fight. i will say this though, MMA heavy weights are boring as hell to watch.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Chimp View Post
    Are you saying that Bruce Lee was not a good fighter? i guess it's a pointless argument since he is dead, still though. Even Tony Jaa seems to be able to kick someones ass in real life due to his training in real life. But, i dont know how much more he focuses on showmanship compaired to actual execution in a real fight. i will say this though, MMA heavy weights are boring as hell to watch.
    Are you saying that Fedor, Nog, Kharitonov, Randleman (as inconsistent as he is), Crocop are boring to watch?

I certainly hope not.

And Bruce Lee, honestly? I think the guy was completely untested, but that doesn't mean I don't think he was influential, he was very influential. I just think that he wouldn't stand much of a chance against even B-grade professional MMA fighters.

- m

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Man View Post
    Are you saying that Fedor, Nog, Kharitonov, Randleman (as inconsistent as he is), Crocop are boring to watch?

I certainly hope not.

And Bruce Lee, honestly? I think the guy was completely untested, but that doesn't mean I don't think he was influential, he was very influential. I just think that he wouldn't stand much of a chance against even B-grade professional MMA fighters. I know there may be strategy involved, but I like it when fights are quick and to the point.

- m
    i do admit those guys are good. i try to watch them, but i can only take so much of two guys throwing wild punches then hugging as they knee each other in the side, thus leading to the ground for a 10 minute slug fest and submission. Being in the fight may be very exciting, but watching it it wears off quickly. I'd just rather watch somthing that has more strategy to it, rather than a fight ending up as a high school wrestling match. I know that submission may be more realistic in a true fight, but come on... To me heavy weights rely more on who can take more crap than the other instead of strategy. It reminds me of this.

video was a bad example, but all jokes aside...

I actually really want to see if Wang Chun or any other type of Kung Fu, can stand up to someone who studies tae kwon do, Karate, Muay thai, or that deadly Krav Maga.

Bruce Lee though, taught that a person should study his own path in fighting trying to avoid tradition and set ways to do things. I've read and heard that he was always challenged even by a random person at one time, and the fight would be over in under at most a minute. He only ever lost one fight and that was when he was 13.

Edit:: Come to think of it, I'm probably talking more along the lines of a real fight than a ring bout.
    Last edited by Costau D; July 26th, 2007 at 05:16 AM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER

Thanks
    ok im sure this is gonna get messy but i'll deal with it..

MMA is over-rated. in fact i cant stand that its even called that and that the fighters claim to have skills in so many different [and mixed] marrtial arts.. when the whole fight ends up being two guys caressing and stroking each other on the floor all night long, their arms and legs lovingly intertwined together as they hold each other close.

as was stated.. its like a high school wrestling match. these guys need to get some balls, or at least REAL skills and PROVE they know a martial art. they dont show any more skill than two random drunks having it out on the sidewalk.

there are many other competitions that truly test skills. focused competitions like tae kwon do and even tai chi competitions that really test your skills in THAT style or discipline.

it seems like a cop-out to say "im in MMA but i only ever iuse the same 3 moves and my favorite style is high school wrestling"

Bruce Lee may have been untested.. but that doesnt change the fact that he DID know wtf he was doing. Jaa and the rest are equally as skilled.. though maybe not entirely combat proven. - JAG