how fast do you have to be ?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: how fast do you have to be ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

hi there.
    I was wondering if someone could give me an idea on how fast you have to be at drawing if you were hired as a fulltime concept artist. More specifically, if you had to do 10 to 20 different concept sketches, thumbnails, and then a final rendering of the chosen concept thumbnail. If anyone who replies to this message has a specific situation they would like to give times for that would be very helpfull. The reason I am asking is because I understand the speed at which one draws is very important to the employer, and hopefully I can get an idea to see at what level one should be at with in terms of speed.
    thank you very much
    Glen

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have an answer, but I'd like to second the question since speed has always been a huge problem of mine, and a big worry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks Turokess for seconding my question hopefully someone will give us an answer. I work in the vfx industry and the speed at which you work very much outways most other skills. I guess having a good ballence of all the skills required is important but I think the one most overlooked is speed because from my personal experience speed is the last thing creative people have enough of. And it is a skill that can be developed which will help for anyone trying to get a job and impress those demanding bosses and directors.
    anyway hope to hear a reply soon,
    chow
    glen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the small amt of experience I've had with ID and game concepts speed seems the most important thing..
    if you can do 10 concepts in the time it takes someone to do 1, you'd be more a choice..

a lot has to do with the media you use, lots of IDers use markers because they lay down values quick....... I can get the same values in a 45 min marker sketch that would take 3 hours in pencil...
    for instance I often find myself doing at least 30 drawings to come up with one concept.. and sometimes 100

I don't know if you've had more experience in the industry.. but speed seems to be the most inportant aspect.. considering that concept art is more communication than just a nice drawing.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Sammy for the reply I think you summed it up pretty neatlly by say "considering that concept art is more communication than just a nice drawing." I appreciate the input you gave about the media one chooses to use. I have noticed how markers seem to be the choice like you say you can get much faster results [ values ] as appose to shading those values with a pencil.
    thanks alot for your reply it has answered alot of my initial question
    chow
    glen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Think it through first

Listen, ask for the deadline, think, doodle, sketch.

Time is only part of the issue. What seperates one production from the next is its style, story and characters.

Make the product unique. Concept art is still the art of creating a unique IP, which will make money.

Instead of rushing through things, make sure you make good things from the beginning by talking things through, having meetings, of minds and hearts, and knowing what you are supposed to do, where you are heading with the product. Then you can begin the journey of creation.

Professional employers know that it takes time and energy and inspiration to do things like this and have budgeted for the right amount of time for the process to mature and for the team to find the look of the product. Like Disney Feature Animation.

In general a concept sketch in B/W takes about an hour for me, sometimes more sometimes less depending on the subject at hand.

Good luck,
    Leo

www.fabpics.com/leo

Last edited by Leopoldo; August 19th, 2003 at 08:58 AM.
    www.fabpics.com

"To achive the impossible you have to attempt the absurd."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Leopoldo is right, everything you do will revolve around this creative process...
    so it's always a good idea to be on good terms with your director... a director you can talk and chat with , maybe go out and have a beer.. get talking about the project and have some laughs is a great thing and puts soul in the project.

My secret weapon has always been Thumbnails, I will get out some marker paper and do a sheet of about 20 sketches 3 min a piece.. usually with limited art supplies... one pen, one marker, and whiteout....
    This will let you explore many regions of a design on one piece of paper in a short amt of time...

here's a thumbnail sheet for some wacked out space dremel tools .. just done to experement with forms... 3 to 5 min each.

my website

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Leopoldo and Sammy for your extra info, sorry I havent replied earlier but I have been having internet problems. I understand the speed factor is only part of the process but I know for myself it has always been, from the point of view of the client, the most important, they just wanna see results. Leopaldo I guess it is important to set up good relations with the client to allow them to be aware of how the process works if they are not alreay aware, so they dont expect the impossible. Thanks Sammy for the practicle example of your thumbnails they are really awsome and I am very impressed at the speed at which you produce them [ 3 - 5 min ]. I am practicing thumbnail concepts at the moment and it is good to know how long it takes you, a professional, to do them, to make sure I can loosen up and speed up so I can impress the clients and also allow them to see their ideas come to life.
    Thanks again guys I hope others have read this post as I find it very helpfull for anyone beginner or pro.
    cheers
    Glen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem, it's an interesting topic that needs to be talked about more...

I however can't take credit as a Proffessional : ) .. I do apreciate.. but I'm still in college, I just manage some independent work every now and then..
    But most of what I've learned thru concept stuff is directly from my Industrial Design studies.. which is more focused on working with a client, and selling as a business...

I'm holding a thumbnail rendering class down here in savannah pretty soon... I'll be sure to upload any tutorials

my website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Sammy
    What college are you at and what are you studying?
    As I have already said I am very impressed with your thumbnails, and they have inspired me to focus on practicing my thumbnails. It would be great if you could upload any tutorials after you have held that thumbnail rendering class, because unfortuantelly I cant make any of the classes as I am not anywhere near savannah, I am at the bottom part of Africa, hehe.
    cool all chat later
    Glen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Back again to keep this post alive,

Spinpatrol, I go to Savannah College of Art and Design in Georgia..

I've uploaded a thumbnail process of a rather complex form to show how quickly it can be broken down... The whole process takes about 10 min.
    Here I've used recycled paper from my sketchbook, one pen, white pencil, and a 40 value marker..

I first lay down some sketch perspective to loosen up and define the 3d space in which I will work.

Then I block in the shapes... be loose with it.. put forms in that might not make the final. experement. you can work over mistakes...

I go in and add detail to the forms I would like to define.. I work over parts of the design that I don't like anymore..

I figure out a simple lightsource and add a shadow... I use a white pencil to highlight areas..

I use marker to define the shadows and I add a size reference..

And there you have it.. a quick thumbnail .. this will allow you to explore many designs... this is the essance of conceptual design, the process that is, and is 100 times more important than the final (money shot) rendering..
    here's a link to thumbnails of one of my current projects... http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...threadid=10407

Last edited by Sammy; August 19th, 2003 at 12:51 AM.

my website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats brilliant Sammy thanks for the step by step process, yes I guess the reason I kept this thread going was because it was very informative to me and hopefully others.
    cheers see you on the forum.
    good luck with your course
    Glen

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.