Thanks

Cool Thunder and Lightening (very very frightening)

Who else here is completely terrified by severe thunderstorms? (lightening in particular)

Man, I just had a storm come through here that was so bad that it was hailing, and the lightening was striking so often there was barely a half-second pause between each bolt. It took out the cell phone tower near my house and several tall pine trees nearby. The air was so charged with electricity I could feel my hair standing on end.

We get an awful lot of afternoon thunderstorms down here in FL and they generally don't faze me, but when the clouds boil, the sky turns a lovely shade of greenish brown, the rain comes down sideways and the air has that certain electric twinge it sends me scrambling to pull on my rubber-soled shoes and pull off all of my metal jewelry. I was just wondering if anyone here shared my sentiments.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I love thunderstorms!

Thanks
    I love thunderstorms too, infact I like going out in them as well. Lightning is one of the coolest things on earth. Its just an awesome raw display of natural power. Theres nothing quite like an outrageously loud thunderclap. The kind that makes you dip down a bit and cover your head. Especially when it makes that crackling sound leading up to it. crackle crackle crackle CRACKKA BOOOOM! I love watching storms roll in as well, awesome, angry, beautiful power. I've been through a couple of hurricanes as well and I always wished there was more lightning in them...although the lurid green glow of exploding transformers works too.
    Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn

The Sketchbook Lives AGAIN!

Darkergreen, My environment, and concept art portfolio

"Its all Fish-Men in the end anyway" -Sara, my wife

"Whenever one finds oneself inclined to bitterness, it is a sign of emotional failure."
    Bertrand Russell

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    I am a little more scared of lightning than I used to be, ever since my grandfather got himself struck by lightning. (He says he doesn't recommend the experience.)
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    I don't like to be outside during one, but mostly they just piss me off, because no surge protector is really safe for your computer, so I always have to shut off my comps. (As a gamer, thats bad T_T lol)

Thanks
    I agree that thunderstorms can have an unrivaled and awestriking beauty (like the one in this pic from Australia) but after having my house struck twice (a lot of expensive electronic eqipment was destroyed [even WITH surge-protectors installed] and the insurance company wouldn't believe me the second time) and living through several hurricanes my entheusiasm for storms has been somewhat 'dampened.' Ok...well, I do admit to standing outside in the middle of a hurricane taking pictures of the clouds because they were so beautiful...

Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Very cool picture!!!

Thanks
    How can you not be in total awe of the beauty and power of the top of our world coming down to greet us?

Some weeks ago, I had a party at my place. We were outside on the terrace with our drinks, having fun. Suddenly the world became dark and a clear line - protruding forward - divided the dusk sky and the chaos of the incoming thunderstorm. Me and a friend were so amazed, we danced in the rain and thunder. My gf and another friend didn't like it and were constantly telling us to get inside (well, actually they just said that we're drunk idiots, but hey, you know what i mean)...

I used to be afraid of everything louder than a china-cracker. New years eve was the worst day of the year. It faded over the years, now I'm a thunderstorm-junkie. If it wasn't for the lighting-bolts able to kill me in an instant, I would jump in the storm, using curse-words to battle Zeus and show him my bare butt.

Thanks
    oh man i freakin love thunder and electrical storms. best time to sit and watch, and listen, and draw.

when a very powerful thunder claps and you can feel the vibrations in your chest and the windows rattle... ohhhhhh it gets my heart racing. freakin love it - JAG
    it's only after you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything..

Thanks
    Thunderstorms are great. Gotta unplug everything in the house when one comes by which makes it a perfect time to draw.The lightning is inspiring too.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I fall asleep better when it's raining and thundering.

Thanks
    I can't get enough of the stuff, and I am 20 miles north of Kat.

We get nothin here. We have had maybe 8 storms in the past 2 months period. Very unusual for florida. So much for super hurricanes. I love the stuff, saw a bird get struck once on a beach, it was awesome.

Large masses of floating ice that shoot lightning. Gotta love the earth huh?

Thanks
    dont know about thunder and lightning but if you want insane wind that sounds like a squadron of f-14s are continuously passing over your roof simultaneously firing all their missiles..come and live in Wellington NZ in the winter...
    which is great in the summer as it clears the air yielding unbelievably crystal clear bright summer days..which in turn can burn you to a crisp if you dont douse yourself in SPF-1000 sunblock.

the weather here is schizophrenic

and ooh yeah...not to mention crazy clouds

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville View Post
    Hm hm, me too

Whenever there's a thunder and lightening storm coming up, i light some candles and enjoy the show.. makes me realise how small and insignificant we are...
    X

Thanks
    I love thunderstorms we had one here day before yesterday, the last one with lightening and thunder i remember was a some point last year. The thunder was so loud i could almost feel it. Then there was actual lightening don't get much of that here either. Twas awesome, just the raw power of it. My gran is terrified of thunderstorms though normally goes to bed and hides under the duvet.

Must be a pain getting all your electrical equipment fried though.

Thanks
    Had one this morning! yippy.. great time for being in bed.. err uh *sleeping* uh yeah.

Thanks
    I think they are one of the wonders of nature, but I prefer watching them from a distance and from within my home rather than being outside in one. Lately here in London we've had loads of small localised storms, we've literally had no summer yet...constant flash floods and rain, I blame global warming! Anyway...I'm not so keen on being outside during a storm becuase once when I was on holiday in Corfu a HUGE storm broke out and flooded the whole area under a few inches of rain and I was quickly walking towards the main bars along the beach front road (a wide open space) to try and get to shelter when a bolt of lightening hit the car parked about five metres away from me...the earth shook and the noise was instant and deafening. I was in shock at first then I remember running the fastest I've ever run in my life to get inside somewhere!!! It was a close call and really scarey, the car alarm started going off after it was hit!

Cx

Thanks
    i love thunderstorms...waiting for one about 2 weeks now..its awefully hot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Katfayheirti, that cloud picture you took looks kick ass! Life if god himself were saying "You're fucked."
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Oh, no I didn't take it. I found it on an internet search. Ahaha. I wish I'd taken it or....maybe not. I've seen storms like that while i was out at sea before, but thankfully they were many miles off (but they WERE so beautiful!). Some of them had a waterspout or two which for some reason are not nearly as terrifying as tornados. The only thing that really gets to me about tornados is that where I live the water table is so high that it's impossible to build basements to hide in. I remember during Francis the wind was so loud I wouldn'tve been able to hear a tornado coming anyway so i was just like 'oh, screw it!' and went to sleep.

Chirmilla- Oh man, having that lightening strike so close must've been crazy! Well, if you were in the car you wouldn'tve had to worry 'cause that's like the safest place to be.

Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville View Post
    Yeah, same here. Davi sent me a recording of a thunderstorm, and i sleep like a baby when i play it.

At first i started downloading some nature ambience sounds to play at night so i wouldn't hear my computer running, but then i realized that they are perfect for sleeping and relaxing. Some of them also works very well for drawing, because they put ambiance to the worlds you escape into. (or the worlds that escape you..) Thunderstorms, forests, jungles, rivers and waterfalls, tropical beaches with breaking waves... i recommend them all!

Sorry for derailing.. thunderstorms, i love them. As others mentioned, its an awe-inspiring display of raw power. And the air becomes magical before and during them.

Thanks
    Aaah! I saw an awesome thunderstorm just yesterday.. Everything just turned dark and there was a lot of wind, and the clouds were just going crazy, very dark, and changing shapes. I could see rain coming from clouds a few kilometres away, while it wasn't raining yet over here. And I saw these tiny flashes far away from the lightning. Then the storm reached our place and all I saw was loads of rain coming against the window and some lightflashes.

We don't have thunderstorms here so often, so I'm kinda happy to see one every now and then. We have one usually after a very hot and damp day.. So I'm very relieved when there's a storm also because I hate that hot dampy weather.

Well.. Not so interesting story
    But I liked typing it anyways

Love
    Marleen

Thanks
    apparently there were 2 tornadoes in new york today. i didnt know we got tornadoes.

Thanks
    We had this amazing electrical storm about a week ago that was very impressive. It's not that often we get these kind of storms anymore so when I saw those storm clouds rollin in I grabbed my camera and went outside, snapping lots of pictures to see if I could capture any pretty bolts. Out of all the photos I took, I got only one really nice photo.

That was the last picture I took because after I previewed it and squealed with glee I sort of realized the lightening was getting a little too close. So I ran back in the house and unplugged my electronics. XD

Thanks
    I know you didn't ask, but I love 'em.