Sketchbook: A teenager's attempt at drawing

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A teenager's attempt at drawing

Welcome to my humble sketchbook! Please critisize away. (but ignore the lame digital arts, because I suck at digital art (for now) My name is Merlin and I'm 17 years old. I live in Antwerp, Belgium and I want to become a 3D Modeler/Concept Artist. At the moment my drawing skills are,... fairly bad, but I'm sure I have the right attitude to get better. I'm not in any drawing classes, because well, I don't have any at my school or in the neighbourhood. I went to a drawing class when I was younger but all we did was mess around with clay and I wanted to draw!! So I quit that. However, I do wish I had done KSO (The arts direction for highschool in Belgium), but I can't attend it now, because it's too late. (They won't allow me in, I think.) Right, enough ranting, check out my drawings!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Myrridin; December 30th, 2007 at 04:39 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brain fart (I think):

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The fact that you're posting a sketchbook on conceptart.org means #1. that your willing to learn, #2. that you'll be getting some great critiques and help on your work, and #3. that you'll have a lot of opportunities to help and be helped by other artists around your age also! (check out the teen challenges: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=101460)
    Also, don't paint exclusively on the computer. If you don't already own one, get a sketchbook and pencils, and start drawing everything around you (people places things animals etc.) And also spend some time using traditional mediums and paints before moving to digital. The experience will help you to be a better artist and give you a heads up on the digital programs you'd use normally.
    Anyway, good start, welcome to the forums, and keep drawing!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with everything that chaotic said....

the fact that you have a tablet means that you have plenty of money to go out and buy some traditional media... haha

do you have a scanner? a digital cam can work too but scanner is better to place all of your work up in this sketch book...

draw as often as you possibly can and then go ahead and post it up here! then go and draw some more!

Keep working at it... take a look at some master drawings and some anatomy books to help with your anatomy...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a bunch! I still draw a lot with pencil on paper though I don't have a scanner. I don't know about other "Traditional media" though,.. painting and what not.. maybe I should get in to all that, but I fear my room will turn in to an even worse mess than it is already so.. maybe, when I have some more room. Some one also told me I should draw as much life as I can. Either way, thanks again for the warm welcome! I'll probably put something up later tonight. As for the contest, I'll see about that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a teenagers attempt at drawing? Id say these are drawings. try to have a bit more confidence in yourself, if you don't think your work is good do you expect other people too? You should enjoy drawing and getting better.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do enjoy it... and I don't think they're bad. It's just hard to say "Look, I drew something nice" in a place like this. I'll get better of that I'm sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eh, Rummity, I think he has enough confidence for now. I usually find it takes away from my confidence if I have people reprimanding me for low confidence.

I agree that it's better to be modest. Just because you like your stuff or not, has no effect on what others think of your art.

That aside, I'm also around your age, Myrridin, so I hope we can both become better than we are now. I know you will if you draw daily.

Keep it up!~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will most certainly draw daily I'm just working on my piece for the teenage contest, so I don't know if I'll have anything else up tonight. We'll see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW DRAW

thats my advise work done for tonight....*ZzZzZzZzZz*

HEHE..but seriously, do just draw what you see and post it on this SB you can get scanners quite cheap if you look in the right places even if you think it is a hunka chunka shit-it might be, BUT the advise you will get means that if this SB reaches the sorta 40-50 page mark then you will look at the first page...then the last page and think .."shit"..."i used to draw like that?..i sucked" thats a target you should set from first looks you need some anatomy work and to learn a bit about colour and blending colours, but some of that comes with experience and time so dont have a panicattack over it yet ...and anatomy isnt as intimidating as it may sound, if you look it the right places (books, sketchbooks on this forum, bridgeman especially) then you will pick it up quite quickly-

the anatomy on that first piece is faily good, just some of the muscle formations and movment of the body needs looking at a bit, E.G-the foot he is standing on looks a bit dodgy and his six pack..is a bit crooked

the colours need to be a bit stronger try working with very soft opacity first and building up with different shades of colour to produce your final piece this thread kicks ass for photoshop ideas and starting out "DIGITAL PAINTING IN PS" (i presume your using PS?)....ALSO...did you use a filter on those two?..whats with the little spotty bits around and on it looks very pixelated..finaly avoid using black to convey shadows ...its makes the picture very dirty and dark, try using darker shades of that colour and use lines very carefully .you will learn with time..

hope ive been slighlty helpfull..usualy i just babble but pick from that mumbo jumbo what sense you can welcome to CA welcome to the sketchbook forums

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to life on the sofa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with DRD, because he's cool. I'm 18 also, and i've only recently started taking my art seriously so I have to plow-down everyday y'know? or try too. There's alot of pressure when you read this site because alot people say you "need" too, which is true, so it's like "omg i need to draw every second I'm awake" but if I don't draw for a few days I'm all "OMGI'MAFAILUREWHATTHEHELLARRTWHGU".

Keep posting your work, even if people ain't giving ye feedback.

Oh and go to Life Drawing classes.

Sorry if someone has already said this earlier but i'm too lazy to read everyones post.

Quote from.....some guy in disney.

"Observe Everything."
    "Communicate well."
    "Draw. Draw. Draw."

Coo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually have just recently recieved a bridgeman book. (Coolz0rs, no?) I'm borrowing it from my sister. It's a complicated story, but she's 33 and draws also. So, yey for that. As for a program for drawing, I don't have PS.. yet. I'm currently using Corel Painter. And they look so pixelated because they're GIF-files. How else can I get the under the maximum file size? (I'm a nooble-zwooble..) Anyways, It's 4:30 am... I got back at 2 am from having a drink with my sis and have been drawing since. I'm going to call it a day. I will however draw more tomorrow! (My TC piece is up, to tired to give link, sorry!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrridin View Post
    I actually have just recently recieved a bridgeman book. (Coolz0rs, no?) I'm borrowing it from my sister. It's a complicated story, but she's 33 and draws also. So, yey for that. As for a program for drawing, I don't have PS.. yet. I'm currently using Corel Painter. And they look so pixelated because they're GIF-files. How else can I get the under the maximum file size? (I'm a nooble-zwooble..) Anyways, It's 4:30 am... I got back at 2 am from having a drink with my sis and have been drawing since. I'm going to call it a day. I will however draw more tomorrow! (My TC piece is up, to tired to give link, sorry!)
    Very coolzorz
    Seeing as I don't have any of Bridgman's things =(

Can't wait to see what you can knock up for that contest, would be cool if you won.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm not winning since I'm not too pleased with what I drew. Anyways, I guess I'm not going to bed then. 5:15 is too late to go to bed. So I'm pulling an all-nighter. I'm going to draw some stuff I see in the Bridgeman book on sketcher.. I'll see. (Don't mind my nooble-zwooble, anything with -0rz, type of expressions, I used to play and MMORPG... Old habbits die hard. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasn't bloody Legend of Mir was it.

Coo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No no,... far worse Tibia, if you must know. Here's a study of the male body. It's not that good, but I think I'm improving. I took a pose that wasn't in "Bridgman's Life Drawings" but I used the book as a reference, a lot. I'll be doing more of these, but I should get a better feel for the poses too, mine are usually out of balance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your off to a good start but your anatomy looks really weird. The way you do torsos is looking good... just a little repetitive. Its the arms and legs that look a little weird. I reccomend doing some anatomy studies.... which reminds me that I need to do some too hehe ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess the legs are a bit out of place.. I need to work on my poses too.. I really do. Well, that's for later. First we read Bridgman's Life Drawings and Loomis' Figure drawing for what it's worth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another study, again, please pay no attention to the head. I hope I didn't make the muscles look too over the top:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Used my own hand as a ref.. I have a nasty scar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I try not copying everything from the books I got, but I think maybe I should though just for the sake of having done that too. Anyways, here's another sketch with lightning smudged into it. Meh... Head seems a little on the small side.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The bridgman studies.. not entirely satisfied with how they came out. I think I'll get a Hogarth tomorrow or so and see about learning from that.

"You know what we need a tracker for? The amount of unnoticed sarcasm" -deamon
    My sketchbook
    My Mentor Thread
    My Thesis Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Already I can see improvement in your drawing from the first post. I too am a teenager trying to get into drawing more. All I can say is keep updating you sketchbook and you will recieve plenty of good advice. The main thing to do is to keep drawing no matter what. Keep up the good work.

Oh, and just out of interest how did you get the scar o your hand?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good. I can definitely see some improvement from your first posts. You've got some great studies in that last one.

At this stage, I would recommend that you focus on your line quality. Slow down a little and draw your lines with confidence and purpose. A great exercise you can do to improve line quality is to do blind contour drawings. (http://drawsketch.about.com/cs/drawi...ntourblind.htm)

Also, try to start thinking about line weight variation and how you can start to incorporate that into your drawings.

Most importantly though, keep drawing! Drawing from life and anatomy studies like the ones you're doing are a fantastic start, so keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Spazazo: Heh, thanks! I got that scar in France. I was running around in the dark, on rocks with a big bottle of beer in my hand. Need I say more? I hit an artery. The blood was gushing out like mad. Scared me quite a bit. But, I survived.

@voxelfog: Thanks for the advice. It's great to hear what I can improve and how. I will keep drawing ofcourse.

My sketchbook
    My Mentor Thread
    My Thesis Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haha that sounds like quite an injury. I have a big scar on my knee where I fell on slate and tore it down to my kneecap, that was pretty nasty. Um, anyway about the art. The Hogarth studies are looking pretty good but with anatomy its not only about muscle shape and positioning but also about getting the general proportions of the human body right. For example in the first drawing you posted the legs in general are too small and the shin on the left leg is tiny. Also the hands are a bit small and the right forearm is too small. Keep up the anatomy studies and small issues like these will start to disappear. Keep up the good work man.

Miles

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgman,.. I use Bridgman's Life Drawings as a ref for those . Yeah,.. I guess. The leg is supposed to be twisted back, like he's driving the knee forward.. but I guess that's not really clear Anyways, I'll work on that.

My sketchbook
    My Mentor Thread
    My Thesis Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, so I've been away to Italy and I tried to draw there, but.. I'm a lazy bum so I didn't really draw a lot. I'm back now though and I promise I'll draw some more! Also, my system crashed and I switched computers and whatnot so all my "data", including drawings, was lost.

My sketchbook
    My Mentor Thread
    My Thesis Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The green fart monster dude is awesome I would prefer too c abit more drawn from your imagination, looks verry promising!

It is also cool that you are working with color...but it seemed like u saved your colored work in a low format? (cause i c dots...)
    Anyway sweet stuff, would love too c a mom that goes with that green slimey moster-dude..,

Greetz
    Kir

_.·´¯`·-> Choose Life <-·´¯`·._
    Check me out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, GIF, so it wouldn't be too big to upload using this site. Anyways,.. computers seem to have the tendency of dying around me. As in, my second computer just... stopped... working yesterday. So, I'm now systemless and I await the computer repairman. I hope to be up and running again by tomorrow and hopefully my drawings will not be lost.

My sketchbook
    My Mentor Thread
    My Thesis Thread

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2