Thanks
    Thanked 1,221 Times in 134 Posts

Question questions for painter and photoshop users

Allot of you have been arguing over wich program is better.

Imagiane if Procreate and Adobe joined forces together to create one master program that combines all of thier options and strenghts together?

would you buy it?

would you have a chioce?

would you stick with what you have now because you are comfortable, and miss out on thier combines advantages?

would this be a good thing or a bad thing?

would you buy it if thier price was combine?

what would stop them from charging whatever they wanteds?

what are the dangers of such a monopoly on 2d digital creation program? what are the advantages?

do I think about this stuff too much ?

have fun.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Probably not.

Multi-purpose generalist software is usually notorious for preforming under the bar in individual areas. It's good for amateurs who don't care about professional level performance, but not for people who want the software to go the extra mile. The Corel Draw package is a perfect example of this. Corel Draw itself, is all right but fails to measure up to the adobe equivalent, and Corel Photopaint, which is shipped with it, just plain sucks. I believe PhotoPaint itself is basically what you described. It's a combination image-editing/ Painting program that does neither every well. It's like they were only concerned about the basics and the real emphasis was that could take advantage of being able to sell five programs in one and have it be considered a "bargain."

Personally, I believe it's good to have software designed to handle a single specific task. There's no question about what develepers should work to improve and perfect. Those buying the software will have the same expectations too. If you buy painting software, you're going to expect it to do just that. When a new version comes out, you're going to expect it to do it even better. No extra gimmicks at the expense of proven features. Simplicity is also important. When you generalize, you lose a level of control. Ephasis is then also put on simplifying. You just can't have two programs in one, especially not calibre of Photoshop and Painter, without it becoming blindingly complicated and impossable for novices to learn. Like it or not, simplicity and user-freindliness is becoming more of a selling factor. But what that means is that you're going to lose more of your options and control in any of the softwares (multi) purposes. A jack of all trades is a master of none.

My two cents. I'd be interested in people's thoughts too. This should be a good discussion.

-Noel

Thanks
    i think it could be cool... but only if you basically meld both programs without taking away from either. ive only played a little bit with painter and photoshop... but i have to admit i love painter way more. the layer system in photoshop is definately top-notch, but i love the painter feel .

i remember loading up painter classic when my grandma bought me my tablet... i played around with it for a little bit, then showed it to my grandma (who is a great artist/painter) and she was absolutely amazed at the look of the 'paint' it generated.

unfortunately, im too poor to afford either program, so i dont have any real experience in this... personally i think that if painter improved thier layers to be on level with photoshop, then nothing could beat painter.

just my opinion though,
    chris

Thanks
    Exo, I love that line...."A jack of all trades is a master of none."

I think you are right on it...

Also I don't think you would be able to appreciate or find the great parts of each program if there were just One. And what if another program came out next to this Melded one... that had some option that was better.. what then.. incorporate that.... I think you have to keep both.. and just bicker about it till your ears bleed...

And as Someone said either Jason of you Andrew...Look at the names of the programs

PHOTOSHOP

PAINTER

One is for editing photos and the other is for painting.. go figure...

I think that the reason people started using photoshop for a painting/coloring tool was it was widely known .. *lots of comic artists used it* and its a larger used peice of software.. Plus it comes with drivers for scanners installed.. so you can scan your drawings in and "color" them... there also happens to be tons of "photoshop tutorials out there.... so its just a common sense thing that people would use it to color... But once peopled realized they didnt need to scan there pictures anymore, and they could just draw straight in the program.. well shazzaam... they started to use it as a "painting" program... even though its original intent was to be a photo manipulator program... I think with this theory.. Adobe realized that there was a huge amount of people using it as a paint program that they decided.. well lets at least make a better brush engine...

But its all a theory and just my 2 cents.. and its all your fault Android.. you got me thinking now way too much about this stuff.
    -Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    buying the prog mainly depends on "if i can feel at home" in the program like i do in painter.
    although, making the interface in a painter manner(presenting next to all information on screen for direct change) will disturb a lot of photoshop(displaying information in a more streamlined way) users.

the pros for a prog like this is that it is one standard for everone. it's not "one for the painters, messing with digi paint & one for the graphic people, layering like mad" but it's then "one ring to bind them all"
    no matter with plugins, file formats (the native file format of both painter and graphic guy are the same, not like rif and psd) and incompatibility issues.

the cons are a monopoly. monopoly hinders progress because no one needs progress when there is no one who could draw buying people from my prog.
    at the moment, procreate has to make painter stronger at photoshop's strong aspects and vice versa. that's the engine for both to make every new version better.

i think that it's better for the industry to have at least two strong programs.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    One more comment. It's seems so obvious that I'm supprised I didn't mention it earlier. I think gekitsu is right when he said, "it's better for the industry to have at least two strong programs." When you think about it, isn't progress always the result of competition? When you have two programs that are both responsable for raising the bar of industry standards, the consumer always wins. Monopolies, once having secured their hold on an industry, simply cease to progress. They tell you what you need from their product because they can afford to. That's what makes them monopolies. To strong products struggling for that spot on top leads products that become progressively better. If that's not the case, then the weaker is burried. Look at the infamous OS wars with Microsoft and Apple.

Apple was in a bit of a lull when Windows first took off. Mostly because IBM was still strong and Microsoft had the perfect window of opertunity to provide IBM's computers with an OS that would compete with Apple's user-freindly Mac OS. IBM and Microsoft took off, seizing the market. Apple, though was left to keep trying to make those critical improvements. And eventualy, microsoft landed in the spot on top and became complacent. IBM wasn't so fortunate since they still had to compete with new PC manufacturers like Dell and HP and Compaq. Meanwhile Windows became the standard in every office and people gradually were failing to see it for the piece of crap it really is. Apple, on the other hand, has made a very strong and stable OS but will never be able to squeak into the lead because it be too much of a shock for everyone who depends on Windows. Mac OS X is currently the single fastest, most stable and most flexable OS on the market. I'm not saying this because I'm Bias but because of simple statistics. It's based on freakin UNIX! This all makes for a very big Catch 22 though.

Thanks

All in one plus 12% free

and maybe a web creation functions too - right?
    No way - the examples like: Photoshop has that, you Painter and viceversa are for the sake of making better the specific tool.
    Ex
    - Photoshop has a better layer code - Painter Do that!
    - Painter has a better color pick system - Protothop - add that

Keep them compatible. Make riff files accesible to viewers (AcdSee, Compupic, etc) patch here and there and that's it.

Oblio

AndrewMyers Guest
    YEAH!!! riff compatibility! It's about time someonse aside from me mentioned this. I talked about it in the intro thread... and seriously, Painter's been around for at least 10 years and yet nothing can view .RIF files but Painter! It doesn't seem like that much, ACDSee can view hundreds of file types that are WAY more obscure than .RIF (.EMF anyone? Extended Meta File? What the hell is that anyway)

Anyone have any idea as to why this is so? Could it have something to do with the ownership issues of Painter, being that it has gone through 3+ different companies?

Andrew

Thanks

Arrow hmm...

that funny you ask that andrew...

since i got to college i have been wishing painter and photoshop would merge..... whats the next merger paintershop and maya questions for painter and photoshop users

AndrewMyers Guest
    Oh don't even tease, man!

Paintershoya Max 7.5!

That would be the best ever.

-a

Thanks
    I think it would be a good thing esp since I'm trying so hard to figure out Painter...Im constantly tempted to switch back to PhotoShop...becuase Im more comfortable with it. I feel that PS interface is a bit more streamlined and sooo much better for image maniputaion, image tweaks, and so forth. For painting though I love the airbrush...its just feels better then the painter airbrushes. Thats about it...everything else in Painter is superior...thats why I want to get good at it....the painting possibilities are endless...the brushes, the texture settings, the color you can achieve. If they could meld these two and take the best of both it would rock...it'll never happen but it's nice to dream.

Thanks
    I got a question I have yet to recieve my Painter, but does it have like a pallete thing where you mix the paint like corel does anybody know what I'm talking about. It's like a window and you can selecte 2 colors then mix them in the window kinda like real painting would do. I'm just trying to figure more out as much as I can so when it gets here I can be more prepared.