Difference between Art Insitute and College???

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Difference between Art Insitute and College???

I've had a few bad and good opinions of Art Insitute's. I was told they just take your money and don't teach you a thing. Then I have a friend who graduated (can you graduate from them?) from an Insitute.

On college, where should I start? Anatomy, History of Art, Colors..etc.

It's all so overwhelming for me, not so easy as it is to just pick up a piece of paper and a pencil and start doodeling. haha!

Please give me your honest opinion

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What kind of Art Institute are you gonna go? I was in AICSF. My opinion: if you want to learn drawing, painting - that is the wrong place to do it. They don't have Illustration major. I have transfered to Academy of Art. College of art has illustration major as well

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes you can graduate from an Art Institute, most are accredited to offer both associates and bachelors degrees.

I have a few questions about your friend who graduated: When did they graduate, are they working in the industry they studied for, and if so, are they satisfied?

I went to an Art Institute. What turned me off was that I didn't see any of the graduating students working in their industries. I have friends who have graduated in the last 2-3 years and they aren't working, either. When I was looking at colleges, my most important consideration was how employable I'd be once I graduated.

What is it you want to do? What major are you considering?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My friend's art was just what ever was in his head, fantasy I think is the best classification.

He did grauduate, from the Art Insitute of Dallas, TX. He owns his own business in Signs. He seems content and I'm sure he works on his personal stuff on his own time.

I have a career but I've always been in art (crafting, drawing, etc.) I can't help but have my hands busy in creating something. I thought since I don't have a college degree why don't I take it in something I will always appreciate and love.

I just need to know where to start...I looked up classes at a college near my office and they offer some classes at night I can take. I believe the first class was Intro to Art then it was followed by Art History.

Last edited by Nikki_Cole; July 17th, 2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: spelling error I caught

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nikki, I wouldn't recommend going to an Art Institute unless there's a specific program you're pursuing (animation, game design, etc.). I'd investigate that local college's program, it'd probably be cheaper for you. Most art programs start with foundation courses in figure drawing, color and design, 3D design, art history, etc. If you're unsure, I'd check out the curricula of other schools to see how they compare, or just go to the school and talk with some professors in the department.

Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much nilaffe! sorry it took me so long to respond. Been searching the web for reference material the past few days. haha!

I will look into it and let you know what turned up. I would like to start posting my work soon, right now I'm just sketching and trying to improve anatomy.

Nikki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, I think if you are not quite sure I would check out something a little less expensive like a two year school, a community college or state school with a decent art program. You can always e-mail the teachers there and talk to the students to get their opinions on the work. Then once you've been there and have a little practice in the basics you might know a little better what you want to do.

I am available for freelance or fulltime:

Portfolio Website
    Blog
    Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FreshPaint - Thanks! I'll do that. I think some of the community colleges out here provided art programs that are not considered college courses.

Nikki

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the end I wish I had gone to an Art Institute instead of a traditional 4 year state college.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been said, but the Art Institutes are for people who know what they want to do. IF you decide you want to go into game design, then some of the AI have great programs. For example, the Art Institute of Phoenix has a 92% job placement rating with in the trained industry. That means that only 8 out of every 100 students don't get a job in their desired career out of college.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am somewhat looking into the same thing, from what I have gathered art schools are more rigorous and focus all of their attention on art. Keep in mind that most art school still have liberal arts classes too. Personally I try to keep away from common known art schools that are across the country like the Ai schools. I also like to look at smaller schools so I have a community to share ideas with and make art with. Another thing about looking into a school is in a University you wont be putting 100% of your concentration into art as you will have academic classes to focus on. True, you will have academic classes in art school but they will ultimately focus on art. And the type of art school you want to go to depends on what type of art you want to make. I draw the line between focusing on conceptual based artwork or more technical artwork. Many people also get the idea that art school is easier than a university, but it is in fact just as demanding if not more. But universities will give you more options if you don't just want to focus on art. Lastly remember that art schools cost a lot of money, especially art supplies (WAY more than textbooks). And there are a few colleges that don't demand you choose a major for your first few undergrad years, so if you are indecisive about what you want to do you will have the opportunity to take classes that interest you then choose a major. You can also double major i believe. The School of the Art Institute of Chicago doesn't even make you choose a major, you take the classes you want then they give you ideas for classes that might help you with the art you make or put you onto another set of ideas for a type of art you want to make. And if you are willing to be in debt for a while you can go to a university then enter a grad program in an art college. Good colleges that I know of are The Art Institute of San Francisco (it is an Ai but this is a really good one, pretty hard to get into only 30% who apply get accepted), SAIC( I mentioned it earlier) it is good for animation, computer graphics, illustration, and painting; MICA (another somewhat difficult college to get into 43% are accepted from who apply), Pratt (dunno much about it), Pacific Northwest College of Art in Portland Oregon (kinda another tough one to get into). Other than that I am still researching colleges myself. Hope any of this helped

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a bad experience with the Art Institutes, they seem to hide many things from you on the blue print. Apparently, I register to "lock-down" my tuition so that It wouldn't rise any higher. I thought this was permanent, whether I go back or not. However, they gave me the boot cause I couldn't attend full-time, and now my tuition went up. I quit from there! I found out that regular College would do just fine. Its all up to you. A bachelor degree is a Bachelor Degree it shows what you know technically. A portfolio shows what you can do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Phoenix 66, if you are looking for a small school with a sense of community and affordable tuition, do take a look at Max the Mutt Animation School in Toronto. We offer a 3 year diploma in Illustration for Sequential Arts, a 3 year Diploma in Classical and Computer Animation Basics, plus an advanced one year diploma in 3D Computer Animation and Production. The new 4 year diploma in Concept Art for Animation and Video Games is the only one of it's kind that we know of, since in addition to concept courses and computer work, in depth traditional painting and drawing as well as related courses from the illustration and animation programs (layout, cartooning, character design, drawing props and backgrounds, etc.) are also included. The fourth year includes a real time concept art project. We have already been approached by major video game companies who are happy about our curriculum and plan to visit the school and speak to students.

The website is: www.maxthemutt.com. There are also several threads about the school on the education forum.

Last edited by Maxine Schacker; August 15th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Art Institutes.

Personally, I wouldn't recomend an art institute. One they are expensive, but a major problem is if you want to transfer along the way you will lose all your credit earned at that school. At least in most cases. Any non art institute" art school is a better bet anyway. ex: Vancouver's Film school, or the RhodeIsland school of design. Im not sure what else. but its a big choice so just make sure you do your research. Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PainStoned View Post
    Personally, I wouldn't recomend an art institute. One they are expensive, but a major problem is if you want to transfer along the way you will lose all your credit earned at that school. At least in most cases.
    It probably depends on the particular school. For instance, the Art Institute of Seattle is under the same regional accreditation as the University of Washington. That means that the course curriculum must maintain a certain rigor, which makes the credits more easily transferred. It is expensive, but generally in sync with or less than the other art schools. My personal experience is that the Seattle School has been graduating the BFA students in animation and game design into 100 percent job placement for several classes in a row. I just saw the work of at least two of the grads in Expose 5. But the school is not for everyone! It requires serious dedication to a particular industry field, so if you do not know what you are interested in, I agree that starting your general studies at a community college is a good idea.

Here's a good essay about attending art schools:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...vice_from.html

Community colleges generally run from $100 to $200. per credit hour.
    State Universities run 300 to 400.
    The Art Institutes generally run around 400.
    Academy of Art U runs 400 to 600.
    Ringling, RSD, Art Institute of Chicago and other well known art schools run 700 to 1000.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just in case...

I strongly recommend that anyone considering SAIC do their homework on the place. Talk to somebody who went there recently or better yet, make a visit yourself. The school offers a lot of good resources and probably has some good instructors, but unless youre really serious about the 'contemporary' art scene or wish to take advantage of their wood-/metalworking facilities, there may well be a better place to spend your money. Ill say nothing more than that there seem to be some misconceptions about the school.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.