Online MFA thoughts & reviews

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Online MFA thoughts & reviews

Hello again everyone!

It has been quite some time since I have posted anything. I have been quietly admiring the work posted here for some time.

I have been considering going back to school for my MFA in ART for some time. My current situation and location however do not offer many options. I was curious whether anyone had any information or reviews to offer on ANY Online MFA programs?

I have a BFA but I currently work in computer technical support which does not leave much time for ART. I steal a few minutes/hours here and there when I can, but would really like to get ART back into my life on more of a full time basis.

your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Crazylegs

My Sketchbook

Life is a Journey,
    Not a Destination!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I too would love to know of any online courses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    call me old fashioned but sites like this is about as far as you want to take the whole online thing when it comes to art education.

not is it a ridiculous notion in general, i couldn't fathom a decent art teacher wanting to teach a bona-fide class through the interweb.

sorry to poop on your party

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chumps View Post
    call me old fashioned but sites like this is about as far as you want to take the whole online thing when it comes to art education.

not is it a ridiculous notion in general, i couldn't fathom a decent art teacher wanting to teach a bona-fide class through the interweb.

sorry to poop on your party
    I see your point, but for those of us who work full time and have bills to pay we can't always take two or four years out of our lives to attend a college, school or university. So online courses are a viable alternative for us.

I found these two that look promising;
    http://www.academyart.edu/
    http://www.londonartcollege.co.uk/index.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by chumps View Post
    not is it a ridiculous notion in general, i couldn't fathom a decent art teacher wanting to teach a bona-fide class through the interweb.(
    Ever heard of animationmentor. It's an only animation course that's staffed by working pros from studios like Pixar, Dreamworks, Sony etc.

http://www.enterartacad.com/ is another school that offers online classes/workshops taught by industry pros.

Stephen Silver, Bobby Chiu...they have online classes.

For a lot of people who want to achieve bfas, mfas or just basic instruction but can't do it the old fashion way (physically attend classes, etc.) online programs are the way to go. Of course, they should shop first and checkout reviews before picking a course and sending money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry about the flippant reply. art education is in such shambles as it is, taking away the classroom interaction just seems like disaster on top of disaster at first blush.

when i think about it, i can see how it could work out. i don't know what the OP's circumstances are, but i know many people in very dire straits w/ various responsibilities and obligations that somehow managed to make it to my school. i don't mean to insult anyone's intelligence i just hope that you really do everything you can do get in some kind of physical classroom. teaching and learning goes far beyond 'instruction' imo.

that said if online is truly the one and only option left to you, best of luck! i'd certainly be interested in hearing about anything anyone has to say about their online education experiences.

steve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chumps, while I agree that the "old fashioned way" is the optimal choice, JGarrington and FlipMcGee hit the nail on the head. The local University, where I received my BFA some years ago, unfortunately does not offer an MFA. So a traditional course of study there is not an option. Relocation is also not an option for the family at this time. Married with 2 children, working, working, and you guessed it working. I have seen references to online MFA's in the past but I would like to know if anyone here has any first hand experience with these programs or perhaps knows someone who is does.

My Sketchbook

Life is a Journey,
    Not a Destination!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wasn't expecting another reply while I was actually typing a post.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Steve. I too believe that there is much to be said for the "environment" of a classroom. The inspiration achieved from fellow classmates and Instructors.

My Sketchbook

Life is a Journey,
    Not a Destination!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    given that online classes are a big question mark as it is, i'm wondering if you're not making it harder on yourself by insisting on a masters?

i'm applying to grad school as well but for fine art and education reasons. if i were in the entertainment/conceptart game i don't think i'd be as concerned about degrees.

maybe if you tell us more about what you're looking to get out of your education, what your work currently looks like, and what your goals are people will be able to help better.

steve

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Simply put I am trying to get ART back into the mainstream of my life. I received my BFA approximately 10+ years ago after spending 5 years in the Military. My original goal after graduation was a career in Animation. However, I admit to being side tracked by work in the computer industry and the need to earn a living etc. I often regret not going for my Masters right away. But we do what we have to do and make the best decision we can at the time. As I said before, I am married with 2 children and we live in small South Georgia city.

I try do some sketching where possible these days. Unfortunately most are just rough sketches and never get finished. I will look at posting some soon. I am still in the process of getting my web site back up and running but it will be mostly older stuff at first. I like to work in a variety of mediums; Oil Painting, Sculpture, Drawing of course and Computer Graphics.

I have to say that I have a great deal of respect and admiration for the artists here at conceptart.org.

My Sketchbook

Life is a Journey,
    Not a Destination!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,439 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As an alternative to an online MFA, you could just do what I'm doing: devote a small portion of each day to work towards your artistic goals, and use CA as your critique center and pool of peers and mentors. It's a cheaper option, but you'll have to provide your own motivation to keep working.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.