Sunshine Assassin
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sunshine Assassin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sunshine Assassin

Sunshine Assassin

I started this concept under the working-title " Daytimer " , but then it turned out a little bit different . That's just why he's looking some kind like the Daytimer I've drawn before . Not important . So what to say about this , I dunno , it took me of course longer than a normal concept , but not as long as I thought . As I allready mentioned , It durned out different and I'm not sure about it . I still have a lot of problems with human anatomy and robe-foldings , have to work on that ...

So , tell me what you think ....

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Have a look at my m i N z k e t c h b o o k
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The colors are great and the flow of the fabric is really nice.
    The anatomy is hurting it a little bit because the hands and arm aren't as well done as everything else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the radiation composition, the colors and the sense of ight are beautifully done as well.

Im not sure if this guy is Human... If he turns out to be a creature with totally non-human proportions under that cloak, Please ignore everything below.

His left foreare is too long.. it's substantially longer than his left upper arm. Also both his hands are too small.

His right leg from knee down dosent look long enough, and the foreshortening on his left leg is strange..

Sorry Im not an anatomy expert, but It still does look strange in some areas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know whether you want a manga stlye or not, to me it seems a little flat, add some highlight at the edge to make it solid

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great colors and textures. I really like how the swords shine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As it's been said before, proportions are a bit off but that doesnt bother me too much. It's a good concept. Reminds me of prince of persia hehehe

...The pussy cat of death is angry...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Spiral fish =)
    Yeah hands are too small ... probably I'm gonna correct this . His left arm was thought to be a little bit different , like in my overdrawing . Thanks for the help =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok , resized the hand a bit =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a minor nitpick, because I think everything else in this picture is absolutely gorgeous. I don't get the sense that the hands are holding the weapons. The fingers are resting on top of them, but don't seem to be wrapping around. Also, in the right hand (the one raised up), I think moving the thumb over the index finger or to the side will give your guy more leverage to wield his weapon; right now I can't imagine it feels too comfortable for him.

If it's all right, I tried doing a paintover to illustrate another option. The fingers have been moved closer, to follow the line of the weapons. I'm no genius at hands, so take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited by nilaffle; July 14th, 2007 at 01:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey nilaffle , thanks , helps me a lot =)

Coinpurse is offline fishing for boots... Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so does this character have floating abilities? If he's jumping, why is all his weight shifted behind him?

Perspective/Anatomy/Imbalances/Weightlessness: You have so many anatomy and perspective issues in the figure/form, that this visually makes the character appear weightless and imbalanced beyond measures. First off, no one jumps like that, as a matter of fact try it yourself and see if you can land on your feet (If you can in fact jump in that position). The reason your character gives the imbalanced approach, is because all of his weight is being shifted towards his back. If your character is not balanced, whats keeping him upright? Also even in such position, the fact the each body part is so stiff further assists the weightless appearance you have going on.

TIP: expressing an action with your character, a little thing I do first is create a few quick alternative dynamic forms to distinguish which action I'd like my character to use. After that I question several things. Form: which form will I be using for my character? Balance/weight: Will this form provide grounds for weight? Is the positioning causing the weight to balance throughout the character, making the figure appear believable in terms of weight, balance and free-motion?

Take a look at the characters right arm. The way you positioned and painted the arm makes it appear more as an overview instead of under. In other words, the lighting and positioning makes the arm look similar to the top of an arm, the exact opposite of what you tried accomplishing in your painting. Why is his arm going back? Well because this part of the body seen in your painting is missing values. Why is the entire arm (beginning from the shoulder all the way to the forearm) lighten up if the light is behind or on top of the character? again, this assists the perspective issue. Even As you compare the bottom of the right arm to the top where the wrist ends and hand begins, you'll notice the error. His arm is pointing one way that looks like its moving behind the character (Again, as I mentioned with the lighting), and his hand (Grabbing the sword right above the character) is bending in an awkward position to grasp the sword that seems to be too far from the arm . Now, that probably would have worked in your favor if the right handed blade was smaller compared to the one in the foreground held by the left hand. Which brings me to another point, why is the left hand which is obviously closer to the viewer, the same if not exact size compared to the right hand which is "suppose" to be further away from the viewer? These perspective issues make your character appear flat and dull, the action is unbelievable because theres no true form (everything seems to be going one way or another, nothing flows the way it should). Technically you have more perspective errors than anatomy errors, but that doesn't make the anatomy any less significant. Those arms are too long, the right knee is bending in an awkward position (whatever green outlining you did, does not fit what you have in your painting. That boot is showing a bit too much). The way the right knee is bending compared to the lower leg does not make any sense, because the upper leg area is going one way, and the lower leg/calf area is going another.

Error: If you were to split the painting in half, you'd have two different pictures that could fit in two completely different paintings of the same character. Because of everything I mentioned above, including the lighting. Take a look at this split off, you'll see what I mean:

Colouring and lighting: You seem to only have 3 or 4 different base colours in this painting, all of which are of different saturations but consist of the same tone. Please, do yourself a favor and start separating yourself from this idea right now as it will only hurt your paintings in the future. I feel as if maybe your a bit to frightened to experiment with colours, which is completely natural to everyone. But it is best to experiment now and make tons of mistakes so that you can learn from them for the future. You could have very well added some purple and yellow hues to the mix, maybe even some green under-lighting to determine where you have your warm and cool colours (because atm, those warms and cools are completely inexistant in this painting). It seems that a lot of people (Not just of the younger generation, but everyone) misses out on traditional mediums of color paints like acrylics, oils, watercolor, pastels, etc. Which is why growing artists are having so much problems with color and understanding it. With everything, you need to study with what you see. Learn how colours can blend into each other and know when to do it. Also, I noticed some people going around saying backgrounds don't matter. Its good you have one, because they matter just as much as the character itself. However, you need to learn how to use backgrounds to bring your character out more. It's all about using variety of lights and darks in the background to make the character stand out. It really does bring out the life in a painting.

A couple things I will compliment you on; Good job not rendering in black. Although I will say that some places can seem a little darker than they should be, you seem to have a little knowledge in colour shades which is good. Once your at that point, step 1 is complete. You also have a decent eye for detail, but you need to get the characterization down first before that could even apply.

All in all, theres light at the end of the tunnel for you, but you need to keep up with those studies, whether or not you stick to digital is beyond me. It seems to be the growing thing nowadays anyway, but really push both color and dynamics more. It'll help you out in the long run, as does anything you really apply yourself too. I hope my ramblings didn't discourage you, I probably sounded worst than I meant to, its just natural to my character so don't take it personally. Keep it up, and best of luck with your future endeavours!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Boom , thanks so much for the long critique ! This helps me very much and will try to use your tips =) !

Btw , good to know there still people able to give real critique as posting artworks has become so senseless because there are just comments like " Amazing! " or " Bad " . So , again thanks =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.