C.O.W. - #092: The Architect

Round #092

Topic:
    The Architect

Deadline:
    Friday, 20th July 2007

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

Attached Images Attached Images  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx to longshao for the topic suggestion!

ADDITIONAL INFO

- No individual or character! "The Architect" is how our creature/species is called because of its specific behaviour...

- We need to see the creature AND the "building" or whatever it creates, so that it is called "The Architect"

example:

Last edited by Fozzybar; July 23rd, 2007 at 01:14 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wowie. You know, if ever there was a topic tailor made for Mike Corriero, this one would be it. Not only because I think he's designed something that would fit the topic before, but also the super detailed hand drawn style he uses just says "architect."

Pretty cool topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i might have to give this one a go

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a speedy this morning before i head to work ( i think I'm gonna be late.. )
    just an idea
    (ill remove it if you guys dont want images in here)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again nice subject, if only I can put aside my other stuff long enough to make on of these pieces.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.....you caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan....you caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn.....now step in front of a mirror and repeat this...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    note to self... write concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeh my topic, thank fozz
    I have no idea though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar View Post
    you caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan.....you caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan....you caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannn.....now step in front of a mirror and repeat this...
    ...and the dark lord Yoo'Kaaaan will appear behind you and brutally slay you...

Name: Rainbow Bower Pseudoshrimp
    Description:
    These graceful flying crustaceans raid nearby forests for a supply of trees, which they deposit upside down into coastal mudflats to form the circular nests/follies they use to attract mates. They cement trees in place against the tide through a combination of mud, a secreted resin and the powerful drying effect of blowing hot air through their hyponomes. They embellish their bowers with any appealing objects they can carry away, including but not limited to small vehicles and important pieces of infrastructure. The webs of resin strung between trunks tend to be geometrically significant and replete with representations of pentagrams, platonic solids, logarithmic spirals and so on. Unfortunately droves of wiccans, christians, neo-hermeticists, mathematicians, kabbalistic scholars and indeed people who just want to get their bicycles back have severely stressed populations worldwide in recent decades.

Haha holy crap I just got a DD on DA

Last edited by Snarfevs; July 20th, 2007 at 10:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

42 42 42

ver2WIP1
    ver2WIP2

"For we have seen the face of god."
    "Let there be light."
    Ouroboros consumes suns and gives birth to new ones. Its form glimpsed by chance through a deep space telescope that was observing what was originally thought to be a supernova event.

ver3WIP
    ver4WIP

I really want to make a dung-beetle-look-alike to be the creature of this architecture, but then I'm already infringing on the copyright of Superman (kryptonite), CnC (tiberium), so I don't want to steal another idea off someone else - Katamari Damacy (dung beetle), even if it didn't involve rolling things up.

BABY CTHULHU IN SPACE
    1.5 hours sketch*
    ver5WIP
    *Yea I work slow and ugly.

*Update - Finalised* Added another hour's worth of work onto it. It still needs a lot of refining, but since it's almost midnight, I'm stopping in interest of fairness. Free image hosting in CA.org w00t.

Description: These artistic architects annoy the hell out of ships in the Atlantic, as the high pressure liquid they spray to propel themselves into the air crystallises the water they swim in.

While the ethereal, beautiful structures seem bereft of design and purpose at first glance, some sailors have remarked that the shape of the crystallised water resembles radio towers the natural philosophers had recently invented, and a number of these seafarers also have the unsettling sensation that the creatures are summoning something from the dark ethers.

Last edited by huhwhat; July 21st, 2007 at 02:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face i are newbie

this is my first COW and i only got Zbrush two days ago so be kind

the nest made by the fish like bacily a hole made of sluge stuck tp a wall...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3d-pieces won't be taken to the poll

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    3d-pieces won't be taken to the poll
    Not that Im going to post any 3d work, but where exactly does it state that? Not in the above topic rules, nor in the FAQ topic.. would be nice to know these "little unknown rules" just so one doesn't spend loads of time on something that breaks one of them...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome topic.

Edit: Think I've run out of time.

Last edited by liamjames; July 20th, 2007 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Colrouphobic View Post
    Not that Im going to post any 3d work, but where exactly does it state that? Not in the above topic rules, nor in the FAQ topic.. would be nice to know these "little unknown rules" just so one doesn't spend loads of time on something that breaks one of them...
    There will be an update on the rules for COW, when i have time and feel mentally strong enough for that The most important rules are written down for now.

There is no time or effort wasting here anyway, because you should do your art for yourself or your portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one should prove interesting I wonder if anyone knows any already existing animals that act as architects? Ants, I suppose, are one & termites another. Then birds with their various nests...do underground tunnels count as architecture?

Try always to [ i m p r o v e. ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    =) the architekt, good topic, good luck you guys!

Leeuwarden, Friesland, Netherlands, Europe, World.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sangmort View Post
    This one should prove interesting I wonder if anyone knows any already existing animals that act as architects? Ants, I suppose, are one & termites another. Then birds with their various nests...do underground tunnels count as architecture?
    Think so... but other architectural creatures are (in my opinion then): spiders (webs), beavers (dams) and monkeys (smart ones 'build' tools from plain thing like stones).

Perhaps you can also take the topic a bit more freely and include animals that can shape their own body through some technique (like snales and their houses for instant).

Everything that has been build has had an architect... So just pick something that has been build and look up the something that build it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

here are a few thumbs. I'll probably make something off the bottom one. He makes the most sense as a builder/architect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I hope don't mislead this competition.

By the way, what was of Tyranx? ever since I am in CA is one of the best conceptual artists than I never saw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good advice ImRazil, I also completely forgot about spiders! I was thinking about snails as well, but I wonder if that counts since they don't build the shell? Neither do mollusks...hmmm

Michael Jaeks, I like the bottom thumb best as well. Is that something like lava?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sangmort: yeah, lava... we've seen quite a bit of lava in COW, but I think its an interesting idea... I imagine the creature making sort of Antonio Gaudi type structures... something natural, but still like a building... maybe I'll work a sort of creation myth into the written part of the topic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That definitely would be interesting, I wonder if the creature realizes it's leaving behind such structures? lol Maybe that's something I can work off, a creature who creates structures unknowingly...

There has been a lot of lava, but not in the past few cow's...can't wait to see where you take it man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as an architect(human) i would like to see myself more of a builder and creator of spaces, not just buildings, maybe this will help in expanding the concepts behind the character "architect"? btw... when i saw C.O.W.... instinctively i thought of clerk-of-work... such is the curse...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry ...

There will be an update on the rules for COW, when i have time and feel mentally strong enough for that The most important rules are written down for now.

There is no time or effort wasting here anyway, because you should do your art for yourself or your portfolio
    so i broke a rule you havent submited... thats kinda stupid isnt it.

i cant afford a tablet and i cant draw very well so if i can make 3d whats so wrong with that? its still art... i have a concept to express, why have so meny rules you cant even tell people about them?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man has a point. It definitely is not in the rules and anyone that just came across CoW and hadnt yet taken the liberty of perusing previous week's contests wouldn't know about the unspoken 2D precedent. It really is not fair but what's done is done. However I will say that the rule update needs to happen as soon as possible. It has caused issues with multiple people over more recent CoW's and no one likes to be disqualified after busting ass to produce something they think is worth posting. Busy schedules are understandable but not posting rules will leave a bad taste in many peoples mouths again and again. Fozz, you know Ive only got respect for you but if you could do a rule update when you get a chance it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great topic!

Everyone's work looks fantastic so far.
    Snarfevs - loving the angle and the design of your creature.
    Huhwhat - great colours
    Michael Jaecks - nice wips! I like the bottom most one too, looking forward to seeing that.

My concept is a large herbivore. Males of the species secrete a type of resin from a gland beneath the chin and combine it with their hairs to create "cages" to protect the eggs which are laid in the open plains, from nasty egg eating vultures. The male with the strongest and most elaborate cages is the dominant.

FINAL! (I hope)

Description

Dearest Uncle Ludus,

We have just now reached the plains of Rothien after our caravan was led astray though the scrublands south of the Hindar empire. What an adventure that was, I can tell you! Enyd was very nearly run down by a duo of duelling Ghak on the first evening, and spent the night up a tree that could barely hold her slight weight, you can imagine the look on her face I’m sure. Anyway, the expedition has proved more successful than I could ever have imagined, and there was a further surprise today when we lucked upon a herd of the fabled Banoks. Fearsome and majestic they are my dear Uncle, the head of the male is heavily armoured and the tallest must stand at ten metres high! From what we have seen, the horns are rarely used and seem more a means of intimidation or defence, especially against any attack on the gland beneath the chin. This gland secretes a type of resin which the male weaves his long hairs into to form a type of cage to protect his harem’s eggs. The largest one is the dominant, to be sure, as he has the largest set of horns with which to ward off rival males, and his creations are the most beautiful of all. The books I have read do not do justice to the beauty of these gentle grazers, and I can see now why the monks at the Sipang temples call them “the architects”. The landscape around us is littered with the giant cages of their making. Some are broken and abandoned, but it would have taken a mighty blow to damage them, as they are incredibly strong. I suspect some of those surrounding us have stood for thousands of years. It is said that the Banoks have no natural predators, however the tenacious rock vultures are a great danger for the eggs and young. Banoks only produce one clutch of two eggs per year, and so protection of the offspring is crucial for their survival. I only hope we get to see some of the young ones up close! Will be writing again soon,

Your favourite Nephew,
    Issale

Last edited by Sovereign; July 20th, 2007 at 02:21 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sinyorpicante, Nexus
    Why is there not a rule, that animated entries aren't allowed? Why is there no rule that photographs are not allowed? Why is there no rule that adding sound to a flash image is not allowed? Why is there no rule that live-streams from your art are not allowed?

Because i don't want to blow up the rules like a giant code of law...and this forum is 99% about 2d-art so it is not a big surprise if 3d is not allowed...

Still as i ALREADY mentioned there will be an update of the rules.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

ok.. i guess i stand corrected, il just have to wait and bide my time til the 3d uprissing and the evil ninjas and the zombies... i have said to much.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.