Art: Conflicted between photos...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Conflicted between photos...

Celeste21 is offline "The Stars Look Very Different Today" Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Wild and Wonderful West VIrginia, the southern part among all the beautiful state parks
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Conflicted between photos...

I am ehibiting work at a state fair for fun, paintings and photography, and I cannot decide which photograph of a Great Horned Owl to enter. I am an intern at Three Rivers Avian Center, a rehab clinic and santuary for injured wild birds and this owl is a nonreleasable. Her name is Hoolie. These are a couple of the photos I am choosing between. I personally enjoy the first one, dark profile outlined with sunlight, but the the more lighted second one brings out the dramatic eye of the owl. The third may be too washed out with sunlight in some parts. Then there are a few more not for the show, but I thought I would post them. Looking for opinions and constructive criticism of course...thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd personally go for the second one. While they both stand out nicely from their respective backgrounds, the second one's eye demands immediate attention whereas with the first picture, I found my eye more drawn to the feathers on the top of the owl's head. Additionally, the second photo has some pretty nice, smooth negative space that aids in leading your focus straight up to the owl's eye.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't pick between 1 & 2. While #2 is technically better, #1 carries the emotion given the state of the owl. Basically, would your audience want to see a pretty picture (#2), or would they know (or be shown/given) the background info on the owl and want to see an emotionally charged photo (#1)?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For me number one seems like the strongest photo, however if the owls head and background was a little exposed then it would be perfect. Perhaps photoshop can fix this, depending on what ISO was used. The second photo has optimal exposure levels, but for some reason doesn't attract my eye as well as the first. I would try to work with the first photo if you have decent knowledge of photoshop and if not then go with the second. They are the strongest photos in my opinion.

-Kurdt

Celeste21 is offline "The Stars Look Very Different Today" Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Wild and Wonderful West VIrginia, the southern part among all the beautiful state parks
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by purplerose View Post
    I can't pick between 1 & 2. While #2 is technically better, #1 carries the emotion given the state of the owl. Basically, would your audience want to see a pretty picture (#2), or would they know (or be shown/given) the background info on the owl and want to see an emotionally charged photo (#1)?

This is pretty much exactly what I thought, and considering the audience at this particular gathering, #2 probably would work better, though if I were entering a more prestigeous competition with more emphasis on quality, I would probably enter #1. I will still think about it though. I took a few other good ones of her yesterday, I will post them soon...

distorted vision is offline crazy, weird and clicky (oh yer, i like milo) Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, i think they are all great shots, however the photo that catches my eye is easily #4.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.