Painter X says "can't open Painter Settings" HELP PLEASE

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter X says "can't open Painter Settings" HELP PLEASE

i have a problem with my downloaded version of painter x on windows.

i have had this for abot alomst 2 months without any problems and it was downloaded from the corel website and cost me $500 australian.

after not using the program for 2 days, i went to start it up and as it began, a box with a red "x" appeared saying;

Can't Open the File "Painter Settings"

To which the start up of the program ceases.

I have done a system restore to try and fix it.

I have uninstalled the program and reinstalled and yet it stilll comes up with the same box.

Any help on what to do in this situation would be much appreciated and will aid in keeping my sanity cos i am very pld:

Thank u 4 reading and helping!!!!!!!!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbil Fetus View Post
    after not using the program for 2 days, i went to start it up and as it began, a box with a red "x" appeared saying;

Can't Open the File "Painter Settings"

To which the start up of the program ceases.
    It looks like your Painter Settings file is corrupted somehow, and that is preventing Painter from launching.

This file contains some basic settings, like palette positions, latest paper settings, last brush selected, etc.

You can safely delete it (assuming you don't care too deeply about the above settings), it is located at:

CDocuments and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Corel\Painter X\Default\Painter Settings

[Note: the workspace here is "Default", and you should adjust the path based on the location of your "Documents and Settings" folder]

Note to Corel: since Painter can re-create that file, wouldn't it be better if the dialog said "'Painter Settings' appears to be corrupt. Should I attempt to re-create it?"...

Last edited by Philippe; July 10th, 2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: listed basic settings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

It sounds like your Painter Settings file is corrupted.

If you only have one Workspace, the Default Workspace, it will be reasonably easy to fix the problem. If you haven't set up any custom preferences or settings, and haven't loaded any custom libraries, Color Sets, or added extra or custom brushes all you'll need to do is hold down the Shift key while launching Painter X and you should be back in business.

If you have created other Workspaces, do you remember which Workspace was loaded the last time you used Painter X? If so, that's probably the one where the Painter Settings file is corrupted and you might just want to delete the Painter Settings file in that Workspace folder. Then, when you launch Painter X a new Painter Settings file will be automatically generated. Any custom settings stored in the corrupted Painter Settings file will be lost but you can set things up again in a few minutes.

Workspace folders are located in the Painter X User folder which you'll find here:

Mac - Users > [User Name] > Library > Application Support > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name]

Windows - Documents and Settings > [User Name] > Application Data > Corel > Painter X > [Workspace Name]

If what I've suggested above doesn't do the trick, you'll need to take some other steps.

I hope this helps, and please let me know how it goes.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Philippe,

You were posting while I was making corrections to my post!

Maybe you can tell me:

Am I correct in thinking that if we have multiple Workspaces, each containing a Painter Settings file, and if the Painter Settings file for the Workspace loaded the last time Painter X was used becomes corrupted, only that Painter Settings file needs to be deleted?

I figure this must be the case since I have multiple Workspaces and in each there's a Painter Settings file. Some of them are larger than others as I've done more customizing in some Workspaces than in others.

On the basis of that thinking, I asked if Gerbil Fetus (what a name!) remembered which Workspace was loaded the last time he (?) used Painter X.

I hope my question is clear enough to make sense.

Thanks in advance.

Jin

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi again.

Phillipe: thanks for replying and spreading the info! it was very helpful indeed!
    Jin: i used the shift button to restore the workspace as u suggested and now painter is runny smoothly again.

thanks for the comment on the name too, always makes me laugh when i see/hear the reactions of others to it because of its obscurity!

again thank you (guys?) and (gals?) very much for your help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jin View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that if we have multiple Workspaces, each containing a Painter Settings file, and if the Painter Settings file for the Workspace loaded the last time Painter X was used becomes corrupted, only that Painter Settings file needs to be deleted?
    Yes, and yes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Philippe!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi G.B.,

Happy to hear you have Painter working again!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.