Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Thanks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hive_minD- thanks and no problem
    BohemianChaos- cool I wasn't sure if the background was a good idea or not but i'm glad i did it now
    DragonSnail- droolworthy! awright! thanks!
    Lege1- y thank you!

I had a really nasty comment the other day: http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database...ew.pl?id=93870
    that came out of nowhere huh, fortunately I'm confident enough to not let comments like that bother me, but it definitely sucks that there are such dis-respectful people out there.

here was my submission to the chow #100 unfortunately I didn't have time to do the piece justice and had to cut corners to make it on time. I'd say its about 70% complete at this point and I'm definitely gonna work on it more. if any of you have crits or comments on the piece I would love it, I spent enough time on it that I really wanna make it successful. at the moment I feel the snakes are a major problem area, as well as her hair and arms.
    Last edited by James Wolf; January 16th, 2008 at 05:05 PM.

Maestro Andres is offline It's just a nickname, still too far from being one...
    Thanks
    Hey man, I did really enjoy going over your sketchbook, you have very nice pieces and HOT CHICKS which is always a plus Your use of color is very great too. I read your goal on the first page, and you seem to be on the right track. Would be helpful to go back to do some environments, those seem to be a "key thing" these days. You can probably learn more about them by reading the subforums in the mentor thread about environments. Also, considering speed, one of the instructors at the Revelations workshop mentioned that for speedpainting, the first focus should be on quality than in speed. If it takes you 8 hours or more to do one environment, just do it because the important thing is to learn the process and the more you are familiar with it, the faster you will become. Just takes practice.
    I actually found your Medusa piece one of my favorites from the CHOW 100. Like the dynamism of the snakes flowing around. One small crit is that with such bright snakes there should be some reflected light around the character it will help unify better all the elements, you can sure play with that and made a great dramatic effect.

Cheers
    SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    cool! thanks so much for the advise Maestro Andres, I agree with you on the lighting and I definitely need more environments lol.

Thanks
    I can't wait to see that CHOW when you finish it, even if it's after the deadline. Looks like it will end up being an amazing piece.
    GUILD OF CALAMITOUS INTENT
    - BohemianChaos - | - Jska -
    Check out our sexy sketchbooks!

Thanks
    Hello everyone just thought i'd update with a new version of the medusa challenge piece. i've been doing bits and pieces inbetween work and finally got it looking somewhat decent. I'd love to hear comments and crits as I hope to submit it to expose 6 within the next few days. I also have some more stuff that i'll post up very soon!

Thanks
    Great looking medusa I reall like her presence although I did feel it was stronger with the snake attacking in the earlier post. My other crits are I wish I could see the snakes on her head more, but the detail is kind of lost in the halo, and the background of the foreground seems too empty if you know what Im saying, its just black, or dark and flat. I also have to say I like the old dagger seemed more snakish. but overall looks really nice, love the rendering of skin tone any tips as far as that goes? I have a hard time getting a believable skin color, always ends up looking barbie doll ish. Thanks for the updates, lookin great. Later.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Hey thanks MonkeYoakum, I felt the striking snake was to distracting, I was looking at it more than the figure , I'll see what i can do with the head snakes, although when it comes to the foreground Im not to sure what I would put there. I'm not sure this is my best skin work but just remember that the skin isn't one color, its made up of many hues, and if you want it to pop, keep in mind the warm and cools of the flesh. heres quicky I just started the other day the blob in the front is going to be a horse lol:

Thanks
    really digging post #111
    Keep going!

Thanks
    can't wait to see that one buffed out. It seems like the snakes have some luminecense, but the foreground snakes dont seem to, maybee that could fill some of the black. Thanks for the advice on skin tones also
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    thanks Coinpurse and thanks for the advise MonkeYoakum

Hi again, heres another piece, this was a fantasy portrait for a client, He wanted most of the figure in dark shadow as to hide most of her features from the viewers allowing them to make there own assumptions as to what she looks like. it was a pretty quick commission, he wants a few of these for his characters as sort of a character profile section for his books website.

Thanks
    she looks hot, either that or her eyes are alien. hmmm mission acomplished.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    really stunning works here man. love your colors. subscribing to this one for sure.
    To live is to create, to create is to live. Without art and music, I do not know how I would get by in my day to day life.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115997

Thanks
    MonkeYoakum- I also have a version of her with shades on
    thesadpencil- thanks

just found these laying around, I think they were practice for last halloween, but I'm always drawing creepy heads when I'm bored haha, just thought I should post'em before they get tooo old, so are there any more crits on the medusa piece? I'm gona give it another revision then i'm sending it off.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to James Wolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I still say the katana seems out of place.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Page 8 of 36 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast