Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Just when I was starting to think this site had deteriorated.

This is an example of something that makes me both inspired and feeling like smashing my Wacom.

That bull demon is something else. As you finish it you might want to do something to make it clear that those arms coming out of it are souls (?) that it's captured and that they aren't part of the bull itself, if that is indeed the case.

On a couple of the city images (#215 etc) it seems like you are pushing the edge lighting way too far.

Your figure skills are seriously outlandishly amazing. I wish I was 1/20 as good as you. I can do landscapes OK but my figure skills are terrible and I just don't know if I want to do the work it would take, but at the same time I am driven to draw. Probably I should start working the Loomis and Hogarth, I have all those books...
    Last edited by solidcube; February 7th, 2009 at 09:21 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Wow man, that last piece is wonderful.
    I've never tried the whole greyscale values first way of painting, but seeing this has inspired me to do so

Thanks
    The latest piece looks fantastic!!

Thanks
    love your landscapes man, some of my favourites on the site, can't wait to see where you go with this!

Thanks
    Verehin-
    BigPapaRaels-yea I wanted to create a piece that actually had something going on as opposed to a lot of my recent work
    Kasper_P-thanks!
    sandeepbarot-
    solidcube- heh heh thanks for the compliment, and crits! yes I will be defining the souls at some point, just want to get the solid stuff in first
    and if you have the books use'm. its certainly not something your gonna look back on and regret
    Jacky-Boy-yea, it just makes it a little easier so you can focus at one thing at a time though I could probably streamline my process a bit better.
    Iridyse-thanks! its getting there.
    TZA- y thank you

so i had to take a little break from this one so I could get some other stuff done but here's another update. Also I was at the NYCcomicon and it was a lot of fun I went for the wizards of the coast portfolio review! I wasn't hired but I got a lot of great advice from both Jon Schindehette and Richard Whitters so thanks guys! one of the biggest things they mentioned was that my portfolio was going in all directions cause i had environments, character pieces, lots of concept stuff and they said that I should pic one direction and go all out on it and the meeting ended with we will be seeing you very soon so hopefully that's a good sign lol. lastly I finished a few pieces from like a page back so if you'd like you can check them out in some of my galleries such as http://jameswolf..com/ and http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=James%20Wolf

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,109 Posts
    REAL COOL SHIT,
    Great stuff, love the last one.
    ..sorry for just asspats... I'll come back with some C&C later.

matt,
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    you are improving like 5x every time i visit your sketchbook. you're going to get hired soon i'm sure keep it up!

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    --------------------------------
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    This is progressing well...the cliff took a nice direction in the end Why not introduce some yellow-green to the smaller beasts or in ambiance to compliment the almost overwhelming red-violet? No idea if you'd bite on that but just one thought!

The skull bothers me a bit, maybe it needs to be simplifed as far as hues go to make it more readable.

Thanks
    nice stuff your really really good with enviroments

Thanks
    Ooo the last piece knocked me straight off my chair! insane work!!!
    Last edited by Josef K.; March 2nd, 2009 at 04:13 AM.

Thanks
    can't wait to see that last one finished.

I understand what the wizard guys are saying, but I think you can concentrate on one particular area while still progressing in all facets. Every character you design, drop them in a fully developed environment as the central focal point, or whatever. That's just an example. I'm not sure how they explained it, but I'm just hoping you don't lose the diversity of output that you're generating as of right now, because it is truly impressive.

Just my two cents ;P
    -: [ sketchbook | sour.org ] :-

Thanks
    ooh the last one is looking awesome! 8)

Thanks
    JailHouseRock2- thanks Matt
    hp- thanks! I sure hope so! I checked out your site recently, you have so much great work up
    Jakers-thanks for the crit yea, I've been playing around with colors recently, not sure how its gonna work out but I'm definitely going to be fixing the skeletons up so no worries there
    Hayds33- thanks, I doooo love environments heh heh
    Josef K.-hopefully i'll be finishing it up soon!
    sourgasm-yea, I agree, I think i'm gonna start focusing on character based illustrations so I can get both in there. it was kinda tough hearing it cause I love doing both! but they assumed I was just doing it to fill out my portfolio. anyway I think i've to a good direction now.
    areve-thanks!

decided to do a piece for this weeks eow cause it sounded like so much fun! I was planning a frank loyd wright home on the cliff but decided a hut would be more suiting

15. The Following User Says Thank You to James Wolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    looks like you could market that place to tourists

it almost looks like a photo in the bg, great job. do you have a process?

HP Farvus Onir YihyoungLi d-CepT
    www.emilysu.net
    Facebook me! Emily Su at UTexas at Dallas!!!
    emilysuart.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    (I hope you don't mind the draw over i did,)

I really like your EOW entry so far, the idea of it, and the cool rock structures. Though there are a few things i noticed about it, and i had a few minutes so i did a quick draw over.

As it is right now, the atmospheric perspective could be pushed a little further. I thought there seemed to be a little too much contrast in something off in that far off in the distance and those cool rocks up front were starting to flatten out a bit because of the equal levels of contrast going on. I know that it all depends on how clear the day is, and sometimes you'll get something with that much contrast and vibrance, but i find it best in outdoor landscape paintings that more is better than less atmospheric perspective.

Also, i expanded out the canvas to the right, as the composition was feeling a bit cramped and the focal point was drifting a bit close to the middle of the drawing which is usually hard to work with. Another reason i expanded it was simply because i've made a habit of avoiding squarish compositions like the plague, in leu of something with a more film resolution. I mainly do this just because something about squareish compositions make everything, especially environments, feel like they're missing something compositionally.

Last of all, the ocean off to the right was added as somewhere to see off in the distance and works sort of as place for the eye to rest.

Just PM me if u want me to delete the draw over outta here, its my first time doing one. I hope it helps, and good luck in this week's EOW.
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Page 22 of 36 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast