Sunset painting
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Sunset painting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sunset painting

hello, im a long time lurker. been trying to get feedback for my pieces through deviantart (... without any success), so i was hoping i could get some good critique here. The painting suffers from the same things my previous paintings also suffer from, but i find it hard to put my finger on it. It would be a great help if you could help me see what could be better/ done differently about this painting. Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like this piece, did you use reference? either way it's pretty cool.

To crit:- The three rocks thats are casting reflections on the water need shadows from the direct sunlight.

I like how suggestive the piece is but there is more room for darker darks in your shadow areas to create more suggestion.

In the right hand bottom corner you could add a darker implied foreground element for more depth.

The middle water reflecting rock, around here you could detail the water a little, with waves and texture, even if it is absolute still water you are going for.

Even out on the sea/lake could have some little tocuh of wave texture

The wee rock off on its own in the middle left is a nice touch but I would give him some friends.

I would create more clarity of the horizon line with another distant element, but then I tend to add too much.

Most of this stuff is just "If it was me" type stuff, it is the making of a hangupable(sp?) painting.

Nice work and look forward to updates.

ATA

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, there sure are a lot of sunsets these days.
    Yours is easy to fix - less is more. A lot less is a lot more. I've done an overpaint to demonstrate.

I've scraped off all the fussy rendering on the left hand cliffs - it doesn't need to be there. I've repainted them in useing two colors each. Rock cliffs and distant mountains are very very matte. They don't show a lot of modelling - they're either lit or not lit, that's about it.

The sky had a lot of brushwork in it that didn't need to be there too. It was mostly distracting noise.

A note about water - water isn't a mirror. At big scales and in the distance, water is almost matte. This next bit is pretty counterintuitive - the darkest part of the water is at the horizon, if the water has any waves on it (it almost always does). At the horizon, you can only 'see' the front facing slope of the waves. These front slopes are picking up their reflection from the opposite side of the sky as the sun, and usually the darkest part of the sky too.

Cheers

Leftyy is offline Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be a Goodfeather! Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    YVerloc's paintover does have a lot of improvements (the water, the rocks and the cleanliness especially). The execution of the sky is better there too, but I think that there are now to completely different feelings. AlLeTuN's painting is chaotic, while YVerloc's is calm. What was the feel you wanted?

"Yakko...?"
    "Yes, Ms. Flameel?"
    "Multiply 47 times 83."
    "Multiplication, it's math education! Isn't this swell? Oh, let's give multiplication a standing ovation...
    so buy a calculator, study this stuff later!"

-Animaniacs (only a few good quotes from that song. Search "The Multiplication Song - Animaniacs" on YouTube
    for this video and any other Animaniacs classic!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! very good feedback! that paintover really made a lot of things clear (stroke economy, water etc.). also Leftyy, your comment about chaotic vs. calm was kind of an eyeopener, i've never considered that before in my paintings. definitely something i will keep in mind.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.