Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Aila's sketchbook of whatever she feels like at the time.

Thanks

Aila's sketchbook of whatever she feels like at the time.

April 2010: This sketchbook goes a little on and off, I don't post everything I do. At the moment I don't have a particular direction I'm headed for, I draw or paint what I feel like at the time. I particularly like landscape painting, maybe I have a little bit of the landscape artist gene of the British However when I'm up for it, I do studies of other things as you see around here on CA, and I read through other threads to grab information and inspiration. I try out anything I can get my hands on.. I tried digital art too, but I've since swayed away from it again, so this thread will be mainly traditional art. It's just the feel of paint on canvas or charcoal on paper that I miss when I'm using my tablet. Not that I don't like it.. it's fun to mess around with every once in a while.
    My learning methods? Observation and trial and error.

P.S. This sketchbook is nearly 3 years old! I cringe everytime I browse through the first pages. The good stuff is near the end. Errr.. I hope.

Hi all and welcome to my new sketchbook. I'll start off by posting some fairly recent stuff, and hopefully I shall improve over the course of this thread. Hope you enjoy it and of course, help and tips are very welcome.
    Last edited by Aila; January 2nd, 2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Updates
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,347 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Woooo! You're here, good to see you

I see you've been doing more studies lately, but maybe some on humans/animals? It would really help with your people and dragon drawings. Anyways glad to see you here and hope you update often

Thanks
    thanks for dropping by! yes, more human anatomy practice is the plan, but lately haven't found enough quiet time for myself to get on with it. But it'll come, and now I'm here I'll be looking around gathering more motivation etc ^_^
    Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Hi Aila!
    Glad to see you've started a sketchbook here, they seem to be very useful in improving I'd like very much to see it fill up with pictures of dragons and studies and loads of progress.
    And theres plenty of motivation to be found here, I've lurked at CA for a while and have been inspired by the potential and skill of many of the artists.
    Best wishes, lets see some more artwork soon

Thanks
    @FleetingShadow
    thanks for commenting yes, there are many great talents around here!

Well this weekend I started off with anatomy studies. I downloaded one of Loomis' books, the head and hands, and tried out his method with the balls and lines making up the human heads. Here are my first tries (with and without ref), nothing too good yet but I'll just keep on practicing. For now I realized I'm not always putting the lines in the right places making the features come out 'wonky'. Also I discovered a dragon tutorial on DA using the same method for dragons' heads so I tried out some of them, one can be seen on this page too.
    Insanity is the key!
    Also, studies are a key. And passion is a key. Also, so are inspiration, motivation and dedication. Talent can be a key. Insomnia can also be a key, depression is a sad rusty little key. Damn, artists need one hell of a keyring.

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Well, the last ones actually look good, Aila ^^ If you keep on practicing this, you may eventually get better. I have to practice this also, methinks. I hope that your dragon studying also pays off well, so you can learn the basic dragon anatomy fully, and create your own dragons ^^
    Indeed, I'm the only member who got his avatar from google, and didn't draw it himself. Oh well.

Thanks
    @Morthrong, thanks

Anyway long time no post thanks to college and natural disasters.. but now I have time to concentrate a bit more on my art practice.
    The first is a quick referenced sketch (that is, the body is referenced, i added the wings for the fun of it). The second is first drawing practice (no ref) with a tablet but of course I need to practice more with a real pencil sorry about the quality, I was too lazy to scan
    Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 3,347 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Natural disasters? hope everything's ok.

Looks pretty good, glad you're getting reference for figures, keep that up and you'll notive the difference. Tablets and colour are quite different beasts. My advice is to keep using it, but make sure to practice with pencils also. Differnt mediums seem to help one learn faster

Thanks
    Cool, you like dragons too huh ?
    Riefdy's Sketchbook

Aila's Sketchbook

"I believe in passion & obsession." Hazieq Riefdy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhineville View Post
    Natural disasters? hope everything's ok.
    Looks pretty good, glad you're getting reference for figures, keep that up and you'll notive the difference. Tablets and colour are quite different beasts. My advice is to keep using it, but make sure to practice with pencils also. Differnt mediums seem to help one learn faster
    yeh we had floods last weekend. That made me realize, when I have my own place, I'll NEVER keep any important stuff in the basement
    Thanks anyway, and I'll always stick to pencil and keep up traditional work, thats my favourite kind

@StarbonesCoffin
    yeh I love dragons
    Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Ok, here is a WIP I started on today. Reference is a photo of a dancer. I love drawing them because you can see the muscles
    I may edit him and give him some fantasy features yeh I know. But I think keeping up imagination practice is important alongside the basic studies. Well let's see how he turns out.
    Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Update on the dancer - turned elf

Edit: I'll scan the finished version, promise!
    Last edited by Aila; July 29th, 2007 at 05:53 PM. Reason: just wanted to add..
    Insanity is the key!

Current Sketchbook

My little webspace

My Old CA Sketchbook

Thanks
    Aila, your dancer looks really good
    Its kind of hard to tell that he's wearing a leotard, though, especially on his shoulders/arms. Are you planning on adding color?

Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast