Comic character's face

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Comic character's face

Thought I should post this here since it's more of a sketch than anything. It's for an online comic.

First human face I've done that I've really been anywhere near happy with. Done entirely in Photoshop Elements with my nice new graphics tablet. I sketched out the rough outline with a brush that was about 18 pixels wide, IIRC, then went over it and filled in the details with one about half that size.

I still think there's something lightly wrong with the middle, 45-degree view, though. The mouth? I dunno...

[Left to right, in the expressions: Neutral, concentration, bemusement, good humour, anger, melancholy, laughter.)

'k, now what am I doing wrong?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Leftyy is offline Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be a Goodfeather!
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, personally I'm not bothered so much by the 3/4-view here, but more the side view.

Comic character's face

"Yakko...?"
    "Yes, Ms. Flameel?"
    "Multiply 47 times 83."
    "Multiplication, it's math education! Isn't this swell? Oh, let's give multiplication a standing ovation...
    so buy a calculator, study this stuff later!"

-Animaniacs (only a few good quotes from that song. Search "The Multiplication Song - Animaniacs" on YouTube
    for this video and any other Animaniacs classic!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He's supposed to have a exaggerated "lantern jaw", if that's the right term, and his nose has been broken twice, once during a football match (he was hit in the face by a flying beer can) and once during a bar room brawl (he tried to avoid the brawl by going into the toilets, where he slipped and banged his nose on the sink). Should have mentioned that, though it shows my art's not good enough to indicate these sorts of things. Should the nose be wider from the front, maybe?

Leftyy is offline Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be a Goodfeather!
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, my biggest problem was that his mouth is too low on his face and that there needs to be at least a little definition in his lips. Also, if you plan to have a jaw that sticks out, go for some sort of Joe Swanson (Family Guy) thing (not to that extent, but something of the sort, make sure that the chin has definition), not just a line.

Also, I had issues with the nose and part of the jaw that connects to the ear.

"Yakko...?"
    "Yes, Ms. Flameel?"
    "Multiply 47 times 83."
    "Multiplication, it's math education! Isn't this swell? Oh, let's give multiplication a standing ovation...
    so buy a calculator, study this stuff later!"

-Animaniacs (only a few good quotes from that song. Search "The Multiplication Song - Animaniacs" on YouTube
    for this video and any other Animaniacs classic!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got a few ideas. I'll have a fiddle with the side-on view once I've got time (computer problems).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried critting this before, and then CA died. Anyways, your characters facial features are too big for his skull. His cranium is tiny and the jaw is really small. He has very little room to move his mouth.

When creating a comic, you have to rely on expressions heavily. So, dramatize the emotions more, cos he's looking too neutral in general. Pay more attention to the eyes, as they convey most emotions. Get a mirror and dramatize your own expressions when drawing this guy.

Don't be afraid to emphasize his nose. I've added 2 pix of a guy who had his broken nose fixed.
    Comic character's face
    Comic character's face

Giving him ears might also help with getting the head as a whole 'correct'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So... jaw elongated downwards more (and maybe forwards a little so there's some division between jaw and ear)... I'll try and raise the top of his head without getting rid of the smarter-than-he-looks theme I was going for. Maybe give him more room in the back, too. Re-do the nose and lips, and fix the chin.

I've heard of and used the mirror trick before. I'll have to find a mirror.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Comic character's face
    I think you need to beef up the jaw, if that lantern jaw is part of his character, look at other lantern-jawed characters, like superman. also try to feel the relationship between the features, the mouth seems too low, but if you beefed his chin up, it might work. Look at a photo of a well muscled person's jaw - you'd see that the chin falls much lower than the jaw, where your character's chin and jaw are almost level with each other. I like the fact that you are thinking of turn-arounds, keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it's nice that all you guys are giving so much advice, so thanks. One thing, though: "Turn-arounds"? I'm not familiar with the term. Do you mean changes to the design, or are you referring to the front-3/4-side thing?

Also, do I need to work on human eyes?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.