Red-Eyed Robot

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Red-Eyed Robot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red-Eyed Robot

Firstly, I didn't watch the Transformers movie and I'm not interested in watching it, the idea to do this came from seeing the trailer. I never liked robots even as a kid but after seeing the trailer i suddenly thought: "these robot designs are cool". So with absolutely no references I started to paint that. Its also the first time i do that digitally (and with the mouse, no tablet, GOD! I hate that mouse NOW! ^^)

crits welcome, specially about the metallic feeling (dont be to hard on the top of the head, I was bored and just wanted to make it more "postable")

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First off I'd say don't bother with digital until you get a tablet. IMO you'd learn more from value studies with pencil and paper more than mouse and digi, plus you'd be learning a way of painting that would lead you nowhere PLUS you need to know how to shade before you colour properly etc etc etc.

Second, it LOOKS like (emphasis on looks) you used the smudge tool on certain parts. I find it's harder to control, and would reccomend doing your blending with brushes only.

Overall I see it as metallic, but the fact that some of it is really soft and 'blobby' takes away from it. I think there's should defenitely be some red light inside his sockets and reflected on some of his face, and overall there should be a dominant colour(s) in the metal, because it's rare someone is hit with pure white light in an environment with completely nuetral colours.

Overall looking pretty good. Just remember big eyes and small chins are less masculine, so you may want to broaden/elongate his lower head parts.

Last edited by Jason Rainville; July 6th, 2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: me horrible grammar is strikes agains

Leftyy is offline Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be a Goodfeather!
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MOTHER MARY, THAT PICTURE IS HUGE.

Now that my shock has slightly subsided, I'll comment. So far the image is pretty nice but the shading could be a blended a little better. And the sharp, long things near the mouth are all at different angles. They would benefit from at least following a pattern in the angles.

"Yakko...?"
    "Yes, Ms. Flameel?"
    "Multiply 47 times 83."
    "Multiplication, it's math education! Isn't this swell? Oh, let's give multiplication a standing ovation...
    so buy a calculator, study this stuff later!"

-Animaniacs (only a few good quotes from that song. Search "The Multiplication Song - Animaniacs" on YouTube
    for this video and any other Animaniacs classic!)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.