Thanks

Smile Painter X, Brushes to blenders

I recently discovered how to make almost any brush a blener. However, I don't like how they paint "white" when you drag them over non painted areas on layers.

When I set the resaturation on brushes to 0% it turns the brush behavior into a blender. Which is fabulous! However when I drag the same brush over a non pre-painted area, it defaults to painting white strokes. What I want is for the non-resaturated brushes to be no color when dragged over a non painted area...not white paint.

The Palate Knives in the Artist oils brushes react the way I want. You can smear pre-painted areas and drag the out to non painted areas and the color you pull stays transparent...NOT WHITE.

Is it possible to get the other brushes to behave this way?
    Last edited by Jeff Burns; July 11th, 2007 at 01:25 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    You may want to adjust the bleed settings in Painter, because it may cause some even better blending results.
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; July 6th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Burns View Post
    I recently discovered how to make almost any brush a blener. However, I don't like how they paint "white" when you drag them over non painted areas on layers.

When I set the resaturation on brushes to 0% it turns the brush behavior into a blender. Which is fabulous! However when I drag the same brush over a non pre-painted area, it defaults to painting white strokes. What I want is for the non-resaturated brushes to be no color when dragged over a non painted area...not white paint.

The Palate Knives in the Artist oils brushes react the way I want. You can smear pre-painted areas and drag the out to non painted areas and the color you pull stays transparent...NOT WHITE.

Is it possible to get the other brushes to behave this way?

With the exception of Artists' Oils Palette Knives, I don't know of any other brush variants with blending and smearing characteristics that can be used on transparent areas of a Layer without leaving white on the Layer. Brush variants that have blending and smearing characteristics based on the Brush Controls' Well palette Resat/Resaturation and Bleed settings will show white in a brush stroke painted over transparent areas of the Layer.

NOTE: All of my testing I mention below was done in WinXP Home SP2, using Painter X.1.

Since you mentioned the Palette Knives in the Artists' Oils category not painting white on transparent areas of a Layer (you're right), I tested them and here's what I found that might be of some use to people new to using these brush variants:

Dry Palette Knife: drags/mixes color only, not Impasto depth, and does not paint white on transparent areas of the Layer.

Impasto Palette Knife: drags/mixes color and Impasto depth, and does not paint white on transparent areas of the Layer.

Oil Palette Knife: drags/mixes color only, not Impasto depth, and does not paint white on transparent areas of the Layer.

Wet Oil Palette Knife: drags/mixes color only, not Impasto depth, and does not paint white on transparent areas of the Layer.

The Artists' Oils brush category is newer and uses different brush technology from other brush categories. If you choose one of the Artists' Oils Palette Knife variants listed above, then check in the Brush Controls' Well palette, you'll see its controls are all greyed out/not available.

The no-white-on-transparent-areas-of a Layer aspect of that newer technology would be nice to see employed with other brush catgegories!

Later, I checked the Palette Knives category and found (not surprised) that all of the Palette Knives variants paint white when used on transparent areas of a Layer. One of them paints both black and white when used on transparent areas of a Layer!

Neon Knife 30: mixes color and paints black... and white.. on transparent areas of the Layer - Resaturation: 0%, Bleed: 100%

Since there are four Artists' Oils Palette Knife variants to choose from and they can be used to blend color and/or blend Impasto depth, do it pretty nicely, and without the white on transparent areas of the Layer problem, why not use them instead of other blending variants when painting on a Layer with transparent areas?

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Thanks for taking the time to look into this! I spent at least 8 hours trying to find a way to get the older brushes to behave like the "Artist Oils, Palette Knives". Now I can just focus on getting the most out of those awesome new "Palette Knives".

One other alternative I found is to use an old brush, change the "Dab Type" to Circular, "Stroke Type" to single, "Method" to plug-in, and the "Subcategory" to confusion brush. You still get a little of that white thing happening but not as bad.

This really "blast" the existing paint around. When built up on layers from dark to light this creates some complex effects quickly.

Thanks
    This is probably a really old thread, but I'm in Painter X on a Mac and those Artists Oils Palette knives still put colour all over the Transparent areas!
    I can't find anything that might be causing this.
    Please can you tell me how can I get the results you described?
    Could there be another setting somewhere fouling them up?
    Please help!!
    Last edited by runninghead; August 5th, 2015 at 11:06 AM. Reason: clarity