What did I screw up on that one? + tuto

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What did I screw up on that one? + tuto

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon What did I screw up on that one? + tuto

Hello again. Hope You like it - if not tell me why.

PS1. I also added a short tutorial to show the making of this pic. It's not exactly step by step but I hope it'll help somebody. Done completely on PS. Well, it's also a good idea to have a sketchbook close to your tablet to test some ideas. I don't know why it's still easier for me to use a pencil.

PS2. Is this one a good pic for twenty-one student of geology? Or I should be better at my age? Note that I had art only in my primary school

thx for watchin'

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

oh crap.. I've forgot the tutorial...sorry! please take the bonus pic for that.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The sun tattoo doesn't fit the perspective, his feet are pointing too far away from each other.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think his head looks a little squished.. and where's his belly button!? And I agree with Rhineville, I think the tat looks a bit off. Hammer looks a little flat, and I kinda liked the smaller dagger in the tut better than his larger sword. I like the spikes on his shoes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overall it's a very nice concept for a giant looking barbarian guy.... thing... lol.. the only thing that truly looks off is his sword.. the perspective doesn't follow along with the way he is standing so it looks like his sword is jutting out from his body... which means his hand is turned uncomfortably. It looks great but I suggest fixing the sword so it'd be more forshortened. < you'd see less of it.

Or... if you wanted to sword's detail to be seen... I would turn the big guy so he was standing to the side... you only saw his side rather than a 45 degree angle... that way you can see the entire sword.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh... and the tattoo looks just fine

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank You All for the critique.

Painting surely has some flaws - but I've spend so many hours on it that I can't look at it anymore! In the last gaze upon it - his left foot (right on a pic) should be a bit bigger. I've sent this pic to my friend from art university yesterday and she said: the pose is right. The foot should be redefined and that's it. Thanks Gina for the comment on tattoo.. Coz I think it's OK:-) Although I think the bottom part should be less visible. Maybe I should add some blur there 'cause reflecting of the ambient light? What do you think CA?

Ow.. by the way - I will soon begin construction in 3D of this model so stay tuned. We will see the truth of his perspective's belly tattoo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try to stand comfortable with your feet pointing so far away from each other. and drawing a line down the center of his stomach will reveal the fact that the tattoo and belly button arent aligned properly, or at least lopsided to his right.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    goddamn.. you're right Rhineville. Thanks for that belly\line tip! That's smth they would never teach me in my engineering college... As for pose - on the bus-stop I've seen once a bald fatman kissing his girlfriend in the exact pose - and he didn't have any hammer to support his weight ;-) He didn't fall and she endured. So that pose is quite functional :-)

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelaxus View Post
    goddamn.. you're right Rhineville. Thanks for that belly\line tip! That's smth they would never teach me in my engineering college... As for pose - on the bus-stop I've seen once a bald fatman kissing his girlfriend in the exact pose - and he didn't have any hammer to support his weight ;-) He didn't fall and she endured. So that pose is quite functional :-)

Cheers!
    Ok then. They're nowhere near bone-crunching in their angles so it's nothing to really fret about, it just doesn't seem like I'd wanna stand like that.

Anyways to answer your question yes it seems to be on track for a person of your age. Are you planning on colouring this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not in the near future - i simply suck at color. I do not know where to start when applying colors: new layer, colorize? On Ps and my crazy old monitor it won't ever look nice. Anyway - thanks once again. It's 1 am and within 8 hours my first egsam begins.. next one 3 hours later... And there's also bloody sunday...... I need so go to sleep..... sleep.....

Ellingsworth Guest
    I Agree with all the above critiques, if you want to learn to color read a couple things on color theory and then just practice and experiment. If you want to color this in Photoshop(I believe) you just have to make a new layer set it to Multiply and begin coloring, you could also set it to Color I think...GOOD LUCK!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=76955

http://www.worqx.com/color/index.htm

http://www.steeldolphin.com/color_scheme.html

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.