Art: Lush Fantasy: Illustrations

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lush Fantasy: Illustrations

I'm trying out a somewhat new style with the illustrations I'm doing for the book I'm working on. It's an ongoing project with a lot more to come, so any critiques or suggestions for future work in this style would be great.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's certainly a style you don't see much, but it's okay. It only lacks a feeling of depth. Characters are nicely done.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some of these are working better than others. The scribbly lines aren't helping much. You have a pronounced leftward skew that's distracting in the symmetrical compositions. If you flop them it will jump out at you.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

thanks!

I don't even have to flip them, now that you pointed out I that tilt it pops right out at me!Which ones do you think work better? The peice with the girl in the mirror and the couple are my two favorites. I don't know if I can bring myself to dislike the scribbly lines, but I can see why with all the bright colors that they have a tendency to make the images too busy and cluttered. I guess I'm going through a unfortunate faze of liking busy and cluttered. As for the sense of depth, you're right. I'll be working on that in the next few peices.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually really like these. I like the scribblyness, I've always been fond of such coloring for some reason. I think you can push it even further! More scribbles! Move from the huge loose scribbles to some tighter, smaller ones to show details. I can see what Elwell is talking about but I just really like all of them for different reasons.

The mirror one is a fav for sure, because I love her design and the anatomy for some reason. Same deal with the scribbles - just a few more tighter ones, especially around the outside walls.

The jungly village is fantastic. I think this one is especially working well. It had a warm, childish feel, and I love the details like the prayer flags and the chickens! Their expressions are to die for.

The statue one i really like mostly for the character again, she is the strongest part of the image. The border I think isn't working very well, and I can't really qualify why... it's a little distracting maybe, it could be much finer or, consequently, MUCH simpler, with much fewer scribbles. The statue could use some more punched up color and more variation, maybe with some more blues and greens.

The last one is adorable conceptually. The designs for the characters are fantastic and I love the green background and the.... angler fish on a leash?? Is this supposed to be underwater?! Interesting! Drinking coffee underwater.. hmmm Again, could use some more punched up colors in the characters and some sharper scribbles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kittehness,
    Thanks for the extensive feedback! Actually, they're not underwater. It's an magical angler fish. Heh, that's sounds really dumb, but there it is. Anyway, I think you're right on with your suggestions, especially on the one with the statue. I fussed with that a lot and have never been satisfied with. I think I may down-size and simplify the border, but I am kind of tired of working on that one. We'll see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem. I hope it helped I'd love to see more! Just more refined as well. It has a lot of potential.

Magical angler fish! I love it. I think the other thing that made me think underwater was the gloopy algae/moss on the window; reminds me of the crap that accumulates on stuff undersea. (how descriptive )

You got a website or a DA or something so I can keep an eye on you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like these for some reason...I like the scribbles, but I also feel they could be pushed further, maybe make them a bit tighter. They're adding a really nice luminous feel to the surfaces I see. I especially like the mirror image, but there's nothing in the mirror to make it seem like a glassy surface...maybe some highlights around the edge would help.

Your method of outlining seems to change from image to image.. I dunno if that's a stylistic choice or just an inconsistency, but it's a little distracting. You have some marvelous details. I really love the picture with the buildings for the details I can see.

Great colors...they're really pretty, "lush" just like the name of the thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very vibrant colors. This style is great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very beautiful Vandalfish

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.