Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The Big Acrylic Painting Thread

Thanks

The Big Acrylic Painting Thread

If I go to any search on the web for 'Acrylic tutorials' or 'Acrylic process', etc, I come up with about 1/4 as much info as I do oils. I do the same with oils and I find so much more content and learning material. I can find step by step process tutorials that actually help me, not like when I search for acrylics. I mean, even in CA, it's the same thing. We've got The Big Oil-Painting Thread but I haven't found an equivalent for acrylics (If there is one, please show me because I need all of the info that I can get).

Well anyways, my main beef is that I can find tuts down to the brush stroke for oils sometimes, but mostly all I get for acrylics is, "First, I painted in the sky. I then painted in the water. Next I painted in the beach."
    Wow, thanks. =/ Along with other additional info like "Acrylics dry quickly. Get nice brushes. Work using layers."
    *vaguevaguevague* All the while.

Anyways, are there any acrylic process vids out there? Just so I know how I should be starting a painting?

Above was my original question for the threads original purpose: 'Acrylic Painting - Why less content?"
    Well I hope that will be rectified, I got a lot of helpful info from the great guys here and someone came up with the idea to make this the Big Acrylic Painting Thread, so here it is.
    Last edited by drd; July 28th, 2007 at 09:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,022 Posts
    More info than you'll ever be able to use (plus they make some of the best paint in the world):
    http://www.goldenpaints.com/

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    The fundamental stuff for painting of any kind crosses all mediums. The only tecnhnical stuff you need to know about acrylic painting I would bet you already know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,447 Times in 259 Posts
    Bah. I'll just have to write a Big Acrylic Painting Thread. It'll be a while, though; I'm still unpacking and I have no internets at the new house yet. In the mean time if anyone else wants to write a Big Acrylic thread, go right ahead. . . *nudge nudge*
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thank you Tristan!
    Seriously, most of the pros here use oil except for those who do the underpainting in acrylics and finishing with oil thing. That's why there is more info about oil. I'm also starting to suspect there is a wee bit of a stigma attached to acrylics. Oh well...

Thanks
    Heehe. . . if you want to really see the acrylic stigma, got to the wetcanvas forums. I have never seen so many people producing so much shit be so stuck up about their media of choice.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Wetcanvas is deviantArt for AARP members.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    *rolling on the floor laughing*

Thanks
    Eh, yeah, I suppose.

Do you think it would just be worth it to just ditch acrylics, and work with oils? They seem to be the preferred medium of choice of all the professional artists out there. Come to think of it, I don't think there is a single living master who uses acrylics...

Well, if I'm going to switch to oils, I also need to ask this:

Can I use them in a room other people also use? My art corner is in the computer room, so my Dad is sometimes in there. I know that there are fume problems associated with that, but I've also read that's just the turpentine, and fumes aren't a problem with regular oils, like linseed. And do oils themselves let off harmful fumes? I don't want to be putting bad air into the house.

Thanks
    At your level of ability, don't deal with oils yet. They'll just frustrate you.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Yeah, I guess you're right. I've always wondered if acrylics were kind of like a 'stepping stone' to oils, per se. Never asked, though.

Thanks
    The guy I'm studying pastel with has been a portrait painter and muralist for 40 years. He's worked in everything but when he teaches advanced students painting in the summer he teaches acrylic, because of the easy set-up and take-down, but also he insists he's found people who start their painting experience with acrylic find an easier time transitioning to oils than painters in oils find adapting their experience to acrylic.

Thanks
    acrylics are easier to work with for newbies, because they dry a lot quicker, which allows fast working in layers. and you can cover up stuff within a sitting. You also do'nt have to worry about your colors turning to mud, and be overly concerned with your cool/warms because you can cover up pretty opaque, unlike oils, where the series of colors you've laid down will ultimately show through.

instead of desperately searching for information. Just start painting. You'll develop your own techniques. Look at people who USE acrylics on the internet, shoot them an email or PM...or post in their sketchbooks. I've found most people are very responsive to questions. But it's mostly mileage. Get used to painting wet into wet, and working with layers, thinning out with water [ not too much!] using mediums...etc. Mileage is most important.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast