Dancer

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Dancer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dancer

hi!

this is an image than been working for a bit too many hours so kind of become numb to it but still feel it has more to be done :/ arms, and window bother me but i'm not quite sure how to approach it and feel really stuck with the image tho want to complete it somehow. Any suggestions/opinions and crits are highly appreciated & welcome thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by emirare; July 5th, 2007 at 03:06 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It lools beautiful to me. Only a few problem areas. One thing is the window is off-centre, so you should see only the side of it on the far side. Also that side might show some illumination on it from the sunset outside.

The vanishing point should be in the centre of the image at the viewer's eye level. (presuming you are looking at things head on which seems to be the case here).

The figure looks fine, though her stomach doesn't look quite right. Also the curtains seem to fall as though her head is interfering with their flow, which it shouldn't be as they are much closer. They should have a clear sweep.

I don't know what you want to do about perspective, meanwhile, but unless the window is very small and close to her, you might want to show some floor in there. I've put a line where the floor might meet the wall.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The wrist of her right arm (the arm closest to us, that is) is broken. I tried it out, and in that position I don't think it's possible for the wrist to bend that far back.

The fingers on the left hand also need more size variation; the base of the ring finger and pinky need to go lower on the palm, and the pinky needs to be shorter. Also, you need just a little more space between the middle and ring finger; while the fingers can technically stay that close together, it's not a natural position; they tend to settle further apart.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dashinvaine - thank you! i tried using as ref the edit for perspective, it looks much better than what i had haha..just need to work on it some more since been concetrated on the arms (and being slow)

Senira- thanks :] i'm trying to fix the arms and hands atm, still using a picture that took of myself for the hands/arms tho its kind of dark so it can be confusing.

small progress, still have much to do and try to make the colours of the skin more uniform. what do you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm I am not sure if placing her hand like that is a good idea in the first place. It's so sharp and even though I can see how it works it's a little disconcerting at first. Still, it's looking much better from the first version. I think her palm-facing hand could still use some work - perhaps her thumb needs to be longer, and that sharp angle right between her pointer finger and thumb needs to be smoothed out. I tried to get my hand into that position and it would look more natural if you just fixed the thumb. Maybe you can try for a ref of that hand too?

I do have to say though, the whole image is absolutely gorgeous. I gives a slight feel of Arabian Nights of some sort, and the setting sun of the background kind of almost makes it erotic... then again I have a habit of making up a bunch of stuff for images I see. This makes me think of a concubine or something like that dancing for someone special, or for her own meditation. Her face is positively gorgeous, and I love her lush lips and smoky eyes.

Hmmm as for a dancing pose I think her back might need to be arched a little more forward. This is just a personal preference, though, after seeing the lovely swooshing on her hair and the drapery I kinda want to see it echoed in her back.

Are you planning on doing anything in the background? Despite the texture it feels really empty on the right side. It needs something. Maybe extend her hand out into that space... or put some kind of object she's dancing around... or lower the window so her hand overlaps a bit and do a bunch of decoration around it... hmmm. Don't mind me, just pondering. This is a gorgeous image anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She looks beautiful so far. You've chosen to show the arms at very difficult angles with lots of foreshortening. This is very difficult to pull off and will give you trouble no matter what. It's important for the viewer to understand what's going on clearly, rather than be confused by an obscure pose.

The middle two fingers of the upper hand are still having some problems. They look like they are supposed to be bent forward slightly, but it just isn't reading. They are coming off as stubby and unnaturally short, rather than bent.

It looks like your reference photos were taken with a flash and you have duplicated this lighting in your picture. It comes off looking rather strange, especially with the sharp shadows she is casting on the wall.
    The only way this makes sense is if she is lit by a spotlight hitting her straight on, which is not what I think you were going for. It kind of conflicts with the sunset lighting coming through the window.

Also, I would have the curtain drape more naturally. There is something funny going on with the way the folds follow the curve of the head so closely....almost like her head is pushing the curtain back into that shape.

best

Leftyy is offline Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be a Goodfeather!
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This has probably been said but the fingers on the left hand are all the same length and the palm of the hand is too small in comparison to the fingers. Also, the fingers on the right hand are kind of thin and if you look at the reference, they're not that thin there.

"Yakko...?"
    "Yes, Ms. Flameel?"
    "Multiply 47 times 83."
    "Multiplication, it's math education! Isn't this swell? Oh, let's give multiplication a standing ovation...
    so buy a calculator, study this stuff later!"

-Animaniacs (only a few good quotes from that song. Search "The Multiplication Song - Animaniacs" on YouTube
    for this video and any other Animaniacs classic!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O_O o oh my that beautifull elbow is gone : ) beautifull artwork, but i dont like the backgroud, it enclosures her to much. If she was dancing againts that sky with garden, or coluns references (of objects) maybe? just a sugestion.

If you think you can t Draw, just draw more

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1207915

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kittehness- thank you, I agree, been attempting to take a few pictures more to get the hands better. Thank you so much for your input tho ^^ and yes as you noticed been a bit stuck with the right part of the image.

emily g- heh yes the arms have been so much trouble so far, a lot of redoing and rethinking and attempts at taking new pictures to study it better, hopefully can come up with something decent soon, thank you tho

Leftyy- yeahh , tryingg I swear! just really slow haha~ ty :]

Nistarn - thanks for the suggestion ^^ i'll keep that in mind for when can work on the bg.

small update, changed the curtains and took of the cast shadow on the wall/etc, thats pretty much it since my comp has 16mb of space or something ridiculously low it wont let me do much and been killing thumb using laptop and oww does it hurt (cause laptop is on CPU which is on floor )

Dancer

and a cropped version..
    Dancer
    sort of want a nice cropped version too since having too much trouble ..any suggestions on the crop?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    crop???? oh my GODDD now everything is gonnneeee T_T ( drown in tears), if i were to crop what i cant do this was my drawings ( ) ... yes, that size. go do another thing, go for a walk, another painting, than came back and recover thar pretty pretty elbow : )

If you think you can t Draw, just draw more

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1207915

Leftyy is offline Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be a Goodfeather!
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Nistarn View Post
    O_O o oh my that beautifull elbow is gone : ) beautifull artwork, but i dont like the backgroud, it enclosures her to much. If she was dancing againts that sky with garden, or coluns references (of objects) maybe? just a sugestion.
    But it's correctly drawn now, based on the reference.

And as for the crop, why on Earth? You should definitely continue with the full size version. I know the crop is probably easier to finish but it has nothing in it.

"Yakko...?"
    "Yes, Ms. Flameel?"
    "Multiply 47 times 83."
    "Multiplication, it's math education! Isn't this swell? Oh, let's give multiplication a standing ovation...

-Animaniacs (only a few good quotes from that song. Search "The Multiplication Song - Animaniacs" on YouTube

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ohh! definately going to continue the full size , the crop was just for personal reasons more like a bit of motivation cause got bothered not being to be able to do much to the full one haha when fix my computer or find a way to work comfortably on laptop should continue, thanks so much for all the suggestions and crit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by emirare View Post
    ohh! definately going to continue the full size , the crop was just for personal reasons more like a bit of motivation cause got bothered not being to be able to do much to the full one haha when fix my computer or find a way to work comfortably on laptop should continue, thanks so much for all the suggestions and crit
    Oh, thank God.

"Yakko...?"
    "Yes, Ms. Flameel?"
    "Multiply 47 times 83."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.