Art: _________Kev Ferrara___________ - Page 16
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dam nice pages there kev.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice...love the lines in the drawings...damn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    old school magic man, very sensitive and dynamic.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kev, these are great! But this one I've 'quoted' is my favourite. The swirling bunch of figures is super....but the heart shaped silhouette of the woman just by it is really, really special.

Name:  RandomDiscardedPanels3.jpg
Views: 3490
Size:  160.0 KB

Last edited by Chris Bennett; February 13th, 2009 at 03:33 PM.
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing gallery!! your work reminds me of old school Italian comics, especially EsseGesse! I thought of their work immediately when I saw these..
    Amazing drastmanskills!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heaven I'm in heaven...... *sigh* I agree with kelly where is pen that will help me to draw like you???

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's

7. The Following User Says Thank You to spaztastic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been awhile since I checked in here.
    Kev, your ink work is incredible. Hits me the same as when I first laid eyes on the panels. What always catches me is the movement within the ink strokes. an symphony of line. As I begin to push the gesture in my drawings, I've taken quite a bit of cues from your work. Thanks for posting.

Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find it very hard to be critical of your work...
    "Freakin' awesome" leaps to mind... my Inspiration Cup has been refilled...
    Cheers!

Thomas M.Thomson

My Websites:
    www.tmtapplecore.com

My CA Gallery:
    http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=thomsontm

My DeviantArt Homepage:
    http://thomsontm.deviantart.com/

Please Remember to Rank this Thread

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,151 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice of all of you. (Thomsontm, Aztcfireflower, spaztastic, silveraxe, Chris "the man" B, Father Winter, Timothy Duong, Blahm, Omen Spirits, Riding Ghost, einhender, mariusz, matt0917, Justin "EC" Kaufman, Zergaloth, MidgardSerpent, Lyndsay Harper, Gaussian Raider, TASmith, Mr. M, James "sky high" Kei, t11, Super duper Chupacabra, Uli, Serps, D@niel, Hellfire, Borilius !, Kelly x, Hunter Killer, Stoat, Quikenobi, n1va, InvertedChalupa, etc.) Thanks to all of you.

If I find a pen that "draws like me" you can be sure, I'll be the first in line to buy it. The pen nib technology is so antiquated, it really needs to be brought into the 21st century. Brecchia rocks. I'm always surprised people comment on my draftmanship, because when I look at Leyendecker and Frazetta and Cornwell and Fechin, I know exactly where I stand in the grand scheme of things.

Well, I can always try harder.

kev

Btw, if you like what you see, please cast your vote on the thread.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really great work.

f.

"I do not get discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward" - Thomas Edison

http://www.frankstockton.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kev ferrara View Post
    Btw, if you like what you see, please cast your vote on the thread.
    Im curious why you worry about that.
    Id have said you werent the kind of guy who'd care.

Anyway great thread, been folowing the discarded panels> what James said!

+5*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Real Cool Drawings posted on:
    February 1st, 2009, 12:23 AM
    And thank you for you helpful comments

ogbonna

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow mate these are great keep up the amazing work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work Kev. I dont toss this name around very often but your ink work reminds be a bit like the Ink work ive seen by... dare I say it?...Frazetta.
    I would hope that any one who has seen Frazetta's ink work can see the similarities in "quality", and make note that there is no lack of individuality.

All the best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wrightson re-incarnated!!!!

I mean - all as a compliment! he is one of my favorite artists and you are fantastic ( and doing your own thing - you just remind - i hope that's not hidoeous to day..) i just had time to see the first page and the last.. will go throug the whole deal now..

aces 5 stars!

(another) kevin

3alola is offline If U BeLiEvE U AcHiEvE Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A.M.A.Z.I.N.G

I Can't express

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fellow "Kev(in)" - thank you for the kind words.. i spent a while over the last two days really diggin in to your SB - so much great work here.. I see some C. D. Gibson in your pen as well - the plain-work specifically. I can't wait to see what comes next and as I am focused on fine art at school ( finishing up my 2nd year), I really dig the figures and oils and life drawings! you make me want to get some brushes and inks and start experimenting! I ordered the whole "dead [ fill in blank] series and look forward to seeing them in person.. you need to publish a sketchbook! just one guy's opine!

cheers, Kevin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wowzers. Your insanely good... So much detail it is ridiculous.

I dont know anything about inking so it may pay not to listen to me but I have one comment in reguards to some of your drawings you have added an extreme amount of detail into. In a few of your drawings it is a real strain to see what is going on there is so much detail. I think coloring helps define things and I know your an Inker obviously so I dont know if it is something that is a worry to you or not.I hope I'm not stepping out of place as I really do like your work.

a few pictures like the one bellow really strains my eye to work out what is going on in the image. I think there is soooo much going on my eyes have trouble figuring out where to look.

My coffee is never strong enough and sleep is always an option

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yooooooooooooo lol awesome drawings those first ones are trippy x) great linework and use of colo ^^ cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey kev, I've been posting around these forums for a year or so now, and I'm ashamed to say that I've never really seen any of your art until now. I've seen a lot of the comments you've posted and a lot of the discussions you've taken part in, and honestly, at first I thought "who does this guy think he is, posting all these snarky comments?" Granted, all your comments have made me think very hard and many times have been very eye-opening and helpful. I'm kind of new to this whole art thing, and my views on art were relatively uninformed and unsophisticated, and much of the advice you have given to others and much of the comments you have made in certain discussions have been incredibly helpful to me... So thanks for that.

Anyway, there was always this part of me that was like "this guy talks so big, but does he have the art to back it up?" And now that I've seen some of your art (I just browsed through this entire thread) I can say that your art has blown me away just as much if not more than your words have. This stuff is truly incredible, and now I can see where your words come from. Thanks for posting on these forums, you are a true inspiration and more than that, your advice and wisdom are massively appreciated. I'm just soaking it all up. 5 stars for sure!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, I read this thread from front to back the other day and had to come back to drop a comment. Awesome work! It's great to see somebody embrace line and manipulate it in exciting ways to create sick art. I'm a little conflicted, to be honest - I always find myself hiding from linework, trying to make my line-art disappear in pursuit of a "painterly" feel -- but seeing stuff like yours really energizes me: there will always be a place for awesome ink stuff, of course! I think I'm going to go buy a brush and some ink!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You are so fucking awwwesome! I'll definate have to buy a copy when it comes out. It's sure to be a classic. I'll keep an eye open for you at the comicon.

Vancouver (Canada) & Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your inked art is classic and timeless! The anatomy work is superb.
    Style wise some of it resebles the early 70's (Frezetta)
    Sollid work!! More please

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing work is all I can say

Thanks
    Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,246 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Kev! Thanks and I'm still waiting for this special pen!! ha ha, so cool indeed and when the prototype is out I'll be the first in line , , , now more please!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your pen and ink figure studies are exquisite, and figure paintings are beautiful too. I liked the Krauthammer potrait, actually we know his wife, who is an artist. May be you should email it to her if you want. I can give you her email address.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey I'm loving your stuff...I'd like to be A comic book artist do you know what kind of stodys i have to do to be a comic artist?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the Frazetta,Wrightson vibe, I'll be buying mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Re: oil studies from life- what colors were you using?

kev ferrara is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,151 Times in 1,701 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Frank, S.M., Ogbonna, JacFat, DanvanCool, Kevin, 3Alola, leggraphics, robz, bandaidboy, Wafflekoan, Raoul Duke, Homeros, Hayabusa, Kellyx, lena, pencilgeek, DruidF... All my brothas and sistas!

So Maxine, I've attached a jpeg of my pallette for those modelling sessions... essentially just a bunch of pre mixed colors that I wanted to find in the model. This was a purely idiosyncratic collection of colors. I just happen to find these colors really beautiful, and these modelling sessions are terribly lit, insensibly, light bouncing all over the place, so I knew I needed to impose my own lighting, essentially. So I mixed em up before hand, and "found" them during the modelling sessions. I guess some of them are based on John Howard Sanden's flesh palette in his pro mix color system, and maybe a little bit of Reilly league influence. But really, its a just a mish mosh of colors I thought would look nice.

I actually learned this from a friend of mine, Garin Baker, who's a great teacher. We were painting from the model in his studio one day and I was looking over at his painting and the colors were amazing and none of them were to be found on the model. He was finding the colors he wanted to find. And that's, in the area of color at least, what takes a figure painting away from academic study into the realm of poetry.

Pencilgeek... I'd advise getting the best art instruction you possibly can. That means having the foundation of a fine art painter and a concept artist. If you have those skills you can do anything you want, from comic books, to concept art, to storyboards, to murals, to fine art painting, graphic design... anything... There's an old saying that if you shoot for realism you get art, but if you shoot for art you get satire. (or something like that.) I mean, if you shoot for "comic books" you may miss and hit Hagar the Horrible. (I happen to love Hagar, but you know what I mean.) If you shoot for illustration/fine art/concept art, you may land at comic books. Or anywhere you want. Learn more than you need, because you never know what you need. And you may find, in a few years, your goals change. Aim for being the best you can be in whatever field you are in. And that knowledge will be widely applicable. By aiming high you open your horizons.

Lena, thank you. I think that caricature is not very flattering, but I thank you.

To everybody who remarks on the Frazetta and Wrightson influence, thank you very much. I am particularly happy that I'm not being accused of being a rip off of them. As I have widened my influences and interests considerably since I began and I try really hard to arrive at my own images and compositions and do my own research and come up with my own poetifications of the objects and dynamics present in the world.

WaffleKoan... I think of linework as a decorative way to lay down edges, tone and texture. It is really just realism, slightly translated. The greatest difficulty is in negotiating the region between realism and cartooning... when does a line become an overt symbol of an edge, and when do I back that off. To tell you the truth, I am all over the place on that point. Lately I seem to be downplaying line quality for its own sake because I find that when I take it to the coloring stage it interferes with the reading of the image for me. One of the reasons I have those borders on all the pages is because I thought I needed some way to keep everything feeling consistent because of my inconsistency of technique and experimentation from panel to panel.

Bandaidboy... Thank you for your compliments. They are much appreciated. Also, I'm glad some of what I have written has helped you. My feeling about discourse is this... Always state your strongest argument, and in return you will quickly get others, for various reasons, to marshall their best arguments in return. And right off the bat, much time is saved by immediately getting to the core of the matter. This kind of forceful dialectic, in my opinion, while challenging on many levels for all involved, is also the quickest way to learn anything in any field where information is hard to come by.

Leggraphics, when I did that piece you refer to, I was so enamored of creating the illusion of violent motion that I sort of let it get away from me. But, I think, a climactic moment like that needs to be a little over the top. As long as there are contrasting quieter moments around it, and which lead up to it. As a stand-alone illustration, I agree that it is over the top. But it has its place in the graphic novel I'm creating.

Best to you all and thanks for visiting!

kev

Attached Images Attached Images  
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

33. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast