Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast

Thread: Kev Ferrara's graphic novel THE DEAD RIDER is out now (details inside)

Thanks
    Hey Kev, I'm kinda late to the game, but, thinking on Cloud Dragger, in my mind the next frame shows him lifting his hand and coaxing fog out of the ground.
    A Cloud Dragger can command vapor from any source so has the attribute of calling up the mist as a twilight ritual.

Character work on every panel is incredible as expected.
    Figure's 'n' Stuff SketchBook

Charcoal Paintings

BLOG!

"Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless."-Thomas A. Edison

"Convention is craft. Invention is art. In art, knowledge assists invention"-John E. Carlsson
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Here's a recent painting from life, 11"x14"... 2 hrs or so, oil on canvas. This was done at Garin Baker's Carriage House Art Studio open session.

I've been trying to shoot for a more painterly quality lately, with thick application using bristle brushes.

I also just bought a new camera, Cannon EOS digial rebel T2i, that is much much better than the powershot I had at capturing colors, values, and detail.

In posting it to this forum, the thing looks considerably desaturated and washed out compared to the way it looks in photoshop. I keep trying to add back in saturation and posting it keeps pulling out most of the richness. Anybody see this image as strongly saturated? Anybody know a way to prevent the color alteration that comes from posting it?

EDIT: I've added a newer image (the lower one) with an IPCC profile embedded, which was taken with much greater accuracy to the original "in camera." Do let me know what kind of distinctions you see between the first and second images.

EDIT 2: I've removed the first image. The second one is much closer.

Thanks!
    Last edited by kev ferrara; April 2nd, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

4. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    The image doesn't look strangely saturated to me kev. Some nice raw strokage here. I think you're on a roll with these paintings.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 776 Posts
    Looks fine to me too Kev. Full contrast. The thing that may be troubling you is the mid values are a little ungrouped and pulled to the contrast extremes. But that may be to do with the full-on alla prima nature of the painting which often overstates contrast by virtue of the method. I think you'll find that a painting done over a longer time would not suffer the effects of digital reproduction exaggerating vale differentials so much.
    The painting certainly doesn't look in any way washed out on my laptop monitor though.

Lovely piece of work by the way, they are getting better with every one! The strokes are losing that muffled look they had earlier and are now chatting to each other much better across the surface. Love the way the quiet ear sits against all those emphatic razor like forms that build the hard hat, vest, hair and cheek.
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Thanked 4,906 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Damn nice piece kev - looks fine to me as well but of course we don't have anything to compare to. I'm always disapointed in how my work posts too, and there's no way to know what it looks like on other monitors of course.

I would like to see a little smaller version...to get a sense of it from the right viewing distance kind of thing - I have to scroll it right now. Anyway - great job.
    What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Very nice work!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,108 Times in 2,492 Posts
    Looking good, your hard work and artistic knowledge is really paying off.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,459 Posts
    "Anybody know a way to prevent the color alteration that comes from posting it?"

ive found posting to forums tends to push the contrast up and the brightness down for some reason, whihc also affects the saturation, and to make the images look about the same i save them out with lightness boosted 10%. no idea why this happens.
    sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 5,197 Times in 1,728 Posts
    Thanks guys.

I'm sure the issue with the color shift is a color profile difference that I'm not understanding sufficiently.

I've taken some new shots as I'm learning to use the camera, particularly trying to get as close as possible to the original tones in camera, so as to avoid needing to digitally process the result. Also the digital processing program that canon bundles with the camera is much better than photoshop's tool, imo. Much subtler and smoother effects, so I've used that rather than Adobe.

Anyhow, this looks fairly exact in photoshop to me, so I'm going to post it up as is. And my online preview seems to be keeping the colors fairly well.

This is the colormode info: ICCprofile sRGB v1.3.1 (Cannon)

Please let me know if this washes out. (EDIT: On my screen, there is the slightest loss in the richness of the reddish browns, which knocks them down in saturation and slightly lightens the value. But other than that, it's pretty accurate.)
    Last edited by kev ferrara; April 1st, 2012 at 01:35 PM.
    At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,950 Times in 776 Posts
    Because they are cropped differently and different sizes, it's impossible to say. All I can reliably tell you is that the first image is the most 'immediate' looking. But that's because of all sorts of variables. The last image does look a little warmer and 'calmer'... But that could be to do with being smaller and not cropped.
    I would need all three, the same size, all cropped exactly the same and side by side in order to give any feedback that was possibly more useful...
    From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Just saw Gurney's post about that model session and came running to see if you'd posted yours. That looks fantastic, Kev! Love the bold brushwork.

Thanks
    Great works, Kev. Any chance we'll be seeing that donkey painting?

Thanks
    You're a wonderful artist. I'm very impressed as well as inspired. Thank you for sharing your work!

Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 63