C.O.W. - #091: Strange Visual Spectrum
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: C.O.W. - #091: Strange Visual Spectrum

Fozzybar is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. - #091: Strange Visual Spectrum

Round #091

Topic:
    Strange Visual Spectrum

Deadline:
    Wednesday, 11th July 2007

- for any questions or help go here:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37512

note: The deadline won't be EXACTLY after a week...it can last up to 24 hours more, i am human and have to work also, you know

Post your creature for this week!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fozzybar; July 5th, 2007 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanx to Michael Jaecks for the topic

ADDITIONAL INFO

- Make a concept of a creature which uses a different visual spectrum than humans or most animals have. Examples are X-Ray, Infrared etc But go for the creative one, something new

- We need to see the creature in a normal view and an area which is presented in the way the creature sees

Beneath is an example how the image should like be...

on the left the creature in normal view and on the right you can see how the creature sees...the scale on the edge is only an interesting indea how to push/describe the concept better...

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow tricky topic- very origional though, i'll be sure to give it a shot!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice nice nice. Go MJ go!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SV: LOL. I think I'll make a creature that sees with gaydar.

"Not that there's anything wrong with that."

Fozz: that's not what a snake looks like under infrared.

Wait a minute... I suggested this topic? Really? When? I have no memory of that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Creatures which only see things with a temperature exeeding 110 degrees Farenheit would have enjoyed the Arches National Park in Utah as much as I did... but otherwise...
    Indeed an interesting philosophical subject... visibles and not visibles.. and how they are appreciated by the viewer. I think humans have a million different visuals spectrum between them (besides the mere physical variations). I think I'll make a creature who's sight is based on level of happiness... Now you see me, now you don't. Oh, look! An angel!

Last edited by Cloister; July 4th, 2007 at 11:32 AM.

BANNED_For_POOPY_PANTS Guest
    Cooooooooool idea! This is going to be fun !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks View Post
    And that's not how you look like under avatared...it is only an example...you nitpicking creature fanatics make me sick one day...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks
    Wait a minute... I suggested this topic? Really? When? I have no memory of that.
    It was more than 1 year ago...
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=344

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I guess I did.

You shoulda picked the 'best eaten alive' one.

Speaking of which, welcome back Cloister, its nice to see/hear/read you again. I hope those mosquitoes I sent didn't pester you too much.

Fozz, it takes me three hours each morning to look that good. Imagine if I spent six.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool topic, I haven't participated in a while so I may consider this. I have a hard time coming up with something though. Perhaps something that is hypersensitive to movement... hmm I have to think things through here.

Jag har en inbyggd kompass. -Skalman

http://www.patchtogether.com/members...rs/showprofile Vote for my patch together designs, please?

http://www.etsy.com/shop/SirJohanna ORIGINAL ART FOR SALE

http://nanna.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent Topic~! Then, I take it, there are no real limitations to the creature itself? Does it have to have eyes? Perhaps the creature uses scent to create an image in it's mind? Would summit like that be ok?

I really hope I can finish this one, the past three cows I haven't made it past the lineart stage.~

Try always to [ i m p r o v e. ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can't speak for Fozz on the subject of what's acceptable, but the way I think of it is picking a different/unusual area of the EM spectrum (or perhaps one of the other physical forces in the universe) and creating a creature around that. What if a creatures primary sense was detecting x-rays. Or gravity. The organ itself might not look like an eye, but it would be located in a place the creature could best put it to use.

That's what makes the most sense to me. Of course, those of us who claim to have a third eye (you know who you are) will no doubt concept this differently.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Jaecks View Post
    If we're nitpicking anyway, thats not an image of the snake in infrared, but the vision/viewpoint of the snake in infrared.

What's actually is more disturbing is the fact that the guy is waving at the snake like it's an old friend. From that distance it would be nearly impossible to recognize the snake wouldnt it?

I think the gaydar could fit the creature by peppi of last week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Supervlieg View Post
    What's actually is more disturbing is the fact that the guy is waving at the snake like it's an old friend. From that distance it would be nearly impossible to recognize the snake wouldnt it?
    I think the guy is wearing snake-vision goggles or something to help him see. Goggles that let you see cold blooded creatures more clearly.

Yeah, that's what it is.

grenogs is offline im sparticus, no i'm Sparticus , no I'm Sparticus Level 8 Gladiator: Thracian
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually he's not waving at the snake, but instead at the guy thats stood behind the snake, whos looking to make himself a new pair of shoes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few preliminary sketches i've made for my creature-i'm going for an aquatic based design and leaning towards some ocean floor dweller! Not 100% sure how i'm going to fit an origional 'visual spectrum' into the critter but i've had a few ideas!

EDIT:

After a bit of playing around my concept ended up going in a totally different direction, in fact, about as far away as you could get from a deep sea fish'esque critter...

This new concept creature is a desert dweller, resembling some sort of horse, bird, insect hybrid!

I plan to slowly work through the sketch adding muscle definition and maybe some 'skeletal' attributes!

Last edited by ibbo; July 10th, 2007 at 06:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you guys crack me up with the snakeviewwavingdickhead trash talk...but let me add that the guy is not waving, he is a Jedi and tries to "move" the snake with his powers...and don't tell me that a Jedi can't see a snake on that distance, they feel it at least...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This topic is tricky...my first thought was something with a light which it could use to see the snail/slug trail long after it's gone, and thus track it, but I thought that was a bit boring. Then I thought a creature that could see air currents could be interesting. Stumped on designs though...!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll join this one.
    Have an idea about a creature that sees inner energy (chi, chakra, whatever you call it).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar View Post
    you guys crack me up with the snakeviewwavingdickhead trash talk...but let me add that the guy is not waving, he is a Jedi and tries to "move" the snake with his powers...and don't tell me that a Jedi can't see a snake on that distance, they feel it at least...
    I don't think it's a Jedi, I think it's Jason! just look at the mask!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    longshao- just filled up a page of sketches based off that very idea. crap! ill have to vary mine in some way and maybe ditch the chi element all together. maybe ill change chi to telepathic energy, yeah, ill do that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    electric goat-I posted that just so that it wouldn't be a duplicate idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    screw telepathy, im gonna do a crab-like critter that can see demonic possessions. he was used by the tribal communities of early man to rid the world of demons. no pee this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozzybar View Post
    A jedi tries not, there is no try. A jedi does or does not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Supervlieg View Post
    A jedi tries not, there is no try. A jedi does or does not.
    Yoda was always such a hard ass about that stuff. And kind of a hypocrite as well. I mean, what do you call that sorry performance with Sidious? I'd dump that one in the "try" category. I wouldn't exactly say he finished the job with Dooku either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ibbo - looking good so far, I assume it will become more than an ordinary fish when you incorporate the visual spectrum part. I like the vent idea!

I don't think I am coming up with much for this topic, but here's what I have so far, stuck on colours and I don't really like it anymore. The creature can see air currents, and positions itself in the path of one, while looking similar to a flower. Insects carried in the air currents are delivered straight to its mouth. It can fly, but also uses membranes to glide from branch to branch.

I decided to finish, but I don't particularly like it...oh well, it was something different I guess!

FINAL

Description: The Crested Silkbird is an unusual predator inhabiting the deepest of rainforests. With a form mimicing the blood Nyang (a deadly looking but harmless flower which incidentally is an excellent source of nectar), the Crested Silkbird awaits its prey perched unmoving on a branch. The creature is able to position itself in the path of a slipstream of air due to its ability to see the movement of the air and its prey, the insects caught within it. This ability is especially enhanced during the night when the Silkbird is most active. The silkbird can fly but also uses membranes to glide silently from branch to branch.

Last edited by Sovereign; July 12th, 2007 at 03:16 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update

Last edited by radu.andrew; July 8th, 2007 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Yeunoir

The Yeunoir live in the radiant miasma of a stellar nursery on the edge of the universe. Although they appear to live in conditions hostile to life as we know it, the Yeunoir thrive and have for countless eons. Yeunoir are in fact so long lived that they actually witness and remember their own mutation and evolution through the generations. Yeunoir elders living today remember when their kind still had vestigal front limbs.

Yeunoir "see" by the abundant gamma ray light in their region of space. Black holes, errantly named by our species, are the brightest candles in their sky. Through a phenomena known as "Compton scattering," high energy gamma radiation is absorbed by the atoms of matter, exciting the nuclei, which then eject lower energy gamma rays which the Yeunoir can see. To our brains, the effect would look quite noisy and distracting, but the Yeunoir negotiate the field quite handily. Curiously, their eyes appear quite black to members of their own species, absorbing the largest amount of the gamma particles. Regular stars, which radiate the majority of their energy in other parts of the EM spectrum also appear quite dim, if they are seen at all. Yeunoir are peaceful philosophers with deep, slow moving thoughts, who see the universe as a pulsating field of dynamic energy where significant change is conversely very slow in tempo.

Last edited by Michael Jaecks; July 11th, 2007 at 01:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I might be going the mental parasite route, and have some sort of extra-dimensional critter that can see thought. If that's not too similar to Electric Goat's idea, though.
    Maybe I'll just go the hammerhead shark route and just have a creature that can sense electric energy.
    In any case, I want to do something that'll let me make use of this reference image that I found on the internets a few weeks ago. Just look at the way that light reacts on its skin! (Copyright someone on Flickr.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whoah, thats a pretty picture moai, cant wait to see what you come up with.

update. I was earlier working on the finishing touches, but accidentally deleted it all,gahhhhhhhhhhhhh

W.I.P, hes gonna be able to see through trees to see if there are grubs inside them .

Last edited by Goog; July 6th, 2007 at 08:55 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.