Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Angelo's Drawing drawing drawing drawing, partying partying partying partying

Thanks
    Hey there.
    You're doing great with your concepts and studies, have to say. Right now I'm too lazy and tired to give critique.
    Keep up the good work.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    quick art dump... will comment again later

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

Thanks
    So over the past couple of weeks, my computer died and i have just now fixed it up. sorry for the lack of posts.

monsterkill - thanks for the comment!

amer-nazri - thanks for the comment and the tips! i've been definitely working with my brush strokes as well as value works. will keep your advice around!

moai - always appreciate your critiques! i was able to find a copy of bridgeman's wrinkle book but have yet to take a look at it. thanks for the input and advices!

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Heya redSpade! I've been through most of your works now and I believe I have some ideas how you can move further on. I don't feel like critiquing your latest because you haven't posted in a while. You probably understand what I mean.

I believe you need to push your colours to a cleaner state. As for now you seem to get tangled up in a mix between colours and grayscales. I believe it's because you're using too much black and white in your paintings. When later trying to blend in colours it pulls away from your intended colours and gets a dirt-gray kind of colour.

If you happen to own a sketchbook with coloured paper and a white crayon/pastel pencil it's easy to describe this. Just sketch with your usual pencil as you would, then add lighter parts with white. If you're doing it right you will get a white highlighted tone with your white pencil, your paper colours as a midtone and your pencil as shadows. But if you "cross paths" you will get a dirty mix of the white and the led, which won't match the drawing. It will probably be about the same value as your paper, but in another colour, and thus not work. Blabla

I'd say you should start from a midtone and work your way from there. Don't rush with the strong colours, you don't have to use a strong yellow on a dark purple to get contrast. If you have alot of purple in your painting greytones and other colours will tend to look like yellow. I'm thinking about most of your coloured works where you seem to know about colour in theory, but not how to use it in your art.

Check your posts. Almost every sketch with a face bears the exact same expression. Slightly tilted back and with the nose high in the air. You already know how to draw it, putting it on every character you make won't help you. Even though we're not having lessons or that crap I wan't to see some variations in your next post!

I'd better sleep now. School starts in five hours..

.peace
    Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - deviantart

Thanks

Best of FigureSpade

MorteM - thanks for the critique, man! i really appreciate how you recoginze my color theories because thats how i work. using contrasting colors for shadows or highlights; i think that you are right and maybe thats why my works are not as great as i thought they would be because im not using it the right way. thanks for the tip; i actually stumbled upon a sketchbook that uses the paper as the midtones and the pencils as shadows. i tried that today but i didnt have a white pencil so it didnt work as well as it should. i will also work on my faces - i think i got stuck in my comfort zone and never got out of it.

So today i finally finished both of my newsprint pads and took pictures of the best drawings ive had over the past 6 - 9 months. out of both pads i ended up picking the best 10 (which most of them were the most recent). these are posted in chronological order.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    i found out about limited palletes when i was hanging around the painting section of the forums. for this i only used raw cienna, some crappy blue and a white and im really surprised at how awesome the results are - i feel almost that i can accomplish more in terms of painting with those three colors rather than using all of my colors.

its a wip, so far this is two hours into it.

cheers!

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Really strong work this last one. I really like it alot!

Some tips/pointers:

Have the background continue below her. the white field that reaches up towards .. her.. is abit annoying. It doesn't place her in a room but rather some white space of nothingness.

I don't know if it's photoquality, but you don't really need those black lines on her thighs/back fof her yead. I think they're going too far away from your range of values. Abit less contrast to your darkest spots might help. Might be a question about taste though.

Last, nothing that you can do much about if you don't want to start all over, but really. Those hands. A wise conceptartist once said " your figures need to be able to wipe their asses ", think about the length of her arms.

Less blue on boobies!

Sweet work overall. The colours and the brushstrokes are really nice.

.cheers
    Currently doing my internship at Muskedunder Interactive
    portfolio - deviantart

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Olof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    morteM: thanks for the crit man. the photo quality is actually sloppy; and it shouldnt be that blue. as for her arms, its actually kind of funny you mentioned it. because i started to think about why i painted the arms shorter and i went back to the reference and her arms are actually that short. dont know could use another eye on it, will post the reference and progress when i can.

for today, i wanted to figure out android's workflow using zbrush. i kind of figured it out but now i have to take it further on my own. i made my own custom brushes in photoshop and got them into zbrush and started to make random shapes to work with. eventually i started piecing pieces together and right now i have this kind of throne thing.

next i want to figure out the whole illustration. i see a dark twisted king sitting on this throne. and i somehow got samurais on the side by accident which looks really cool. wip!

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks

rar!

okay so this isnt working as awesome i thought it would be. im feeling too limited to the initial sketch. i think now that i have the basic design, i need to use it as reference and not a paint over.

theres no depth and my colors and values are not working together. it just looks like a blob right now

well. off to write a paper and ill work again on it some more later through the week.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    the last one looks better on black&white i think...maybe try to get the figure with a soft brush with a black or more gray colour.....but.... what i know.......hhehhehehe anyway its very interesting...
    "dear diary:..jackpot" my sketchbook

team chow

Thanks
    good work
    line quality's iffy
    try to use long strokes

Thanks

feeling artsy.

dan valkar: thanks!

deathchalupa: thanks!

i really like this one but at the same time, it just doesnt work. i like the colors and the idea, but i dont think that im accomplishing the point across.

its a shamanic creature. the only thing that feels close to shaman about it is the red cloak. really if i disconnect myself from this, i really dont know what im looking at. its a monster in a cloak? dont know...

seemed like every part of this design is an afterthought...

didnt finish my paper....

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    some 3d stuff. some of these are really old - when i didnt really know how to properly make models

cheers.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast