Sketchbook: Angelo's Drawing drawing drawing drawing, partying partying partying partying

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Angelo's Drawing drawing drawing drawing, partying partying partying partying

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angelo's Drawing drawing drawing drawing, partying partying partying partying

Last edited by angelo cordon; February 23rd, 2010 at 09:15 PM. Reason: updates
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahh, nice work you're doing. Quite messy, though. But it sort of fits for the first work.
    Keep up the good work! Oh, may I ask why did you change your account? Got tired of the nick, or...?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mk,

thanks for the first comment! well the shoe's been dead for a while and it feels like i've grown so much more as an artist since then. i felt that changing my nick would be a good step towards a new path to greatness, lol. mumbo jumbo, but thats what i honestly feel like.

cheers man!

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me
    Facebook - Be my friend, pleaseeeee
    Nocturnal Concept Emissions - Surprise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have som nice concepts here. Welcome to CA.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good to see your back. Like the first two characters, interesting design to them. Won't critique on anything yet. Glad to hear you've changed as an artist. Keep feeding us.

Sketchbook

Pale Blue Dot

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start on your SB!
    welcome aboard and pump them studies out!
    good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome back to the boards, man! Nice to see you again. So, what's the situation with us hanging out sometime?
    Anyway, some crits and comments.
    The first piece is looking okay. There are two major problems, however. First and foremost, the values are bad, to put it quite bluntly. Look at the image that I posted below. What I did was desaturate the image and shrink it to 12.5%. There are some areas that are slightly lighter and darker, but there are no distinguishable shapes or areas of value. More than anything else, value is what makes a picture. Form, depth, and composition all depend on value. Making everything basically the same value, therefore, doesn't really work.

Angelo's Drawing drawing drawing drawing, partying partying partying partying

The other thing is that the cloth wrinkles have problems. I know, cloth wrinkles are some of the most difficult things to draw. What you need to do is study up, and use reference. Right now, I'm studying Hogarth's Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery. Hogarth's style isn't the most appealing, but this is the most complete guide to the subject that I've yet found. I'd recommend it. Secondly, use reference. For my Puppeteer piece that I did, for reference I threw a blanket over my head and took some photos of myself in a mirror. If you can't use yourself, you can always try to find something on the internets that'll suit your purpose. It need not be exactly the same, just similar enough for you to learn from and use.
    One more thing about that piece: the texture on the background looks good, but the texture on the figure looks kind of haphazard. I think this is, once again, due to the values. Since there are no clear lights and shadows, the texture--which is a good texture, actually--just serves to messify and obscure the figure underneath.
    Just my three cents on that piece.
    The rest of the pieces look pretty good. I could say some things about them, probably, but there's just so much criticism in me on a given day. That techno-fairy thing with the robotic wings is a pretty cool concept.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    moai: thanks for the tip man! desaturating your works really helps! i always loved your criticism; dont worry i have thick skin.

dkounios: thanks for the welcome

somethings for tonight:

sketch 01: practicing values

02: i always thought that lincoln couldve been the main model for skeletor.

03: throne concept wip

cheers!
    spade

Attached Images Attached Images      

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 254 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i really enjoy the way you coloured the first image, reminds me of the artist from final fantasy(excuse my lack of remembering his name).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    davi - thanks for the comment!

could use some help with this one... im stuck and dont know where to go from here. need fresh eyes. !!!! lashgasd

sleep.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, the work looks good. But I also think you should put some extra work on the values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oziroyal: thanks for the comment! it seems to me that values are my weekest progress at this point.

practiced values by only playing with black and white:

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice new updates. I think for the one piece in post #10 really needs is more value range. It seems that your getting the lighting right on the main light. I'm confused with the blue light, and where its coming from. I think you just need to push some more shadows first then start bringing out the highlights. I think maybe set up some still life's with one or two light sources and practice studying that for a bit. I like the abe Lincoln sketch it stands out to me.

Sketchbook

Pale Blue Dot

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." - Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I'm liking the new name and new sketchbook! There's a lot of progress between this new SB and the old one. I love how you've started using colours and textures. They add so much to your work. One problem I'm seeing right now is with value. Don't be afraid to paint with a higher opacity brush. It'll make your characters look more solid.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK
    -----------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there again. About your painting, also add much more detail to the area you want the audience to focus. It seems hard to see what you're trying to point out the most right now. If it's the person sitting on the chair, add jewelry, pottery and all kinds of accessories and such that make that specific area intresting.

About the church sketches. Looking good, but they kind of look... weak... Try to make the shapes and edges harder and more straight to make them look strong. Even if it just a value study, I'm pointing that out. I haven't critiziced anything for a loooong time.

Keep on going.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys! thanks for the comments!

kat -
    Quote Originally Posted by Katfayheirti View Post
    One problem I'm seeing right now is with value. Don't be afraid to paint with a higher opacity brush. It'll make your characters look more solid.
    thats a really awesome advice! thanks for sharing.

sorry for the lack of update; ive been swamped since the quarter started. havent had the time to do any scanning or fun doodles. ill upload hopefully by the weekend.

cheers!

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

blarg.

i need to get back into this routine. will post more later.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, nice circle,weird but cool.Thats one huge girl you got there.

Riefdy's Sketchbook

Aila's Sketchbook

"I believe in passion & obsession." Hazieq Riefdy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

post post post

here are some sketches on the new project im working on!

Spade

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, man, huuuuuge apologies for going over a month without commenting in your sketchbook. That wasn't cool for me to do. I have some various excuses, but that's not important.
    What is important is how much better your artwork has gotten lately! I mean jeez, look at those Inca-ish characters. You took your designs to a whole new level with those.
    So now, a post-by-post critique:
    Portraits and Throne- Cool work on these. You're definitely branching out. However, you're making a classic Photoshop beginner mistake. You're using a lot of smallish, transparent brushstrokes. Having many, many small, transparent brushstrokes overlapping each other gives a painting a busy, messy feeling, and the results often look somewhat watery and squishy. An excellent CA.orgian by the name of Meatsworthy once gave me an excellent piece of advice, one that I often repeat in my head as I paint. Allow me to paraphrase: "Find the largest brush for the job that you're doing, and then use an even bigger one." Use bigger, more opaque brushstrokes. The marks you make will be more meaningful, the painting will look better, and you will grow as an artist.
    Throne- Interesting concept. I can tell that you pushed yourself in some new directions with this one, and probably felt some frustration. There are three things that need to be worked on most in this one: the lighting/values, the brushwork, and the perspective. For the lighting and valuies, I think you might have bitten off more than you could chew by having the multiple competing light sources. The blue lights, though they look cool, don't effect the environment around them. They would leave blue highlights on the surfaces around them. The very bright highlight on the right side of the throne is killing the form. Here, look at this excellent art tutorial by Prometheus|Anj: link (apologies if you've already seen it, but I find that I learn something new every time I look at it). He advises to keep your highlights fairly small, so that the color and form of an object isn't lost in a blaze of light, as is happening here. Also in terms of values, the background of this piece is showing a higher value range than the foreground, which is causing the throne to appear rather pale and flat. The general rule of thumb is to decrease contrast as the distance from the viewer increases, so that the darkest darks are in the foreground.
    Moving on to brushstrokes, I don't see a billion small, transparent marks, so that's good. You're also making use of textures, which is also good. However, the throne has this soft, fuzzy, out of focus feel, that would be remedied by using some harder brushes, especially in areas that are in the light.
    And finally, perspective. The face part of the throne is looking directly at us, or at least appears to be doing so. However, the lower part of the throne is angled towards the left. For the small figure sitting on the throne, I think it would be better if his legs were foreshortened a bit. This would lessen the illusion that we are looking down on him, while at the same time looking straight at/a bit upwards at the rest of the throne. And finally me critique of this piece is done.
    Buildings- Again, lesser, larger, and more opaque brushstrokes will do ya good. And it's a good idea to get the perspective and ellipses right in the drawing stage before moving on to the painting. Nice to see you studying buildings, in any case.
    Faces and Statue- The topmost face plate/shield thing is one of the better pencil drawings I've seen from you. The lines are crisper and less choppy than in previous works by you. As for the statue, it looks pretty good, except that the statue/structure is off balance. Perhaps that was your intent, though. Also, make a point to find reference when drawing things that you don't really know how to do, such as that flag. And internet image search is always helpful.
    Incan/Aztec dudes- These are awesome! Easily the best designs I've ever seen from you. I can't wait to see where you go with this project. My only crit for you is to keep practicing your figure work, since those charas are rather stiff, especially that sniper.
    Hopefully this long-ass critique made up for my long-ass absence.

Last edited by Moai; August 14th, 2007 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work and design ideas here. Watch some of your perspective ie the throne shows different perspective between left side / right side/ and the head. I would suggest laying out some lines of perspective to follow and to determine what type of perspective you are going from. Also, lots of reference drawing. Study the figure and keep improving. But most of all, just keep drawing!!

...a perpetual plan for discovery days,where everyone can take part in "purposeless play".
    My Sketch 'em up book!!
    My Blog/portfolio site- purposelessplay.com/blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SketchbookSpade! - CHOW 84 WIP

Moai - always love hearing your comments!

silvestri - thanks for the crits and advice! will look into that.

here is a wip for chow#84. looking to hear crits from you all!

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    development....

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketchbookSpade - CHOW#84

here is my entry for the latest chow. its suppose to be a biochemical warfare medic. this was a really exciting painting for me even though i dont personally think i accomplished getting the idea across. learned a lot through photoshop.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    somethings im working on for work...

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there - thanks a lot for leaving acomment in my SB, just wanted to return the favor and see where you're at with your art. I guess you've just joined so welcome to CA - this forum has been very instrumental to improving my art and has kept me motivated on its own. The higher res robot/spacesuit in #24 is one of your stronger works here, keep hacking in that direction. Also your very first post here - the colored version of that sketch looks great - is that digital or traditional media?

In general you should attempt to finish some works but at this stage you can probably mostly benefit from quick pose sketches and you're going this route thusfar. Still, try to get amore complete piece once a week or so and post it in the crit center if you're up for people really tearing into it

Niva's Links: Sketchbook | Eternal Seven Website
    Doomsday Dream Clan Artists: Clanlord | Headhunter
    Team CHOW III: Doomsday Dream Clan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    n1va - thanks for the plan, man. i think i will try to finish a piece every week. the first post was drawn with color erase pencil then colored and rendered in photoshop.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey red I apologize haven't commented in your book in awhile. Really interesting ideas/concept you have been making recently. The main thing I think you should focus on would be really get into the habit and study the anatomy as much as possible. Do you have any open figure drawing session you could go to by chance? I think also maybe practice some more stuff from life as well. This is something I need to do as well. Your chow piece is nice, I kind of like the looseness in it and where you can see your strokes. Keep pushing man

Sketchbook

Pale Blue Dot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey yautja! - awesome hearing from you again man. i definitely miss figure drawing. i still do it though once in a while, just never post it here. i think i will start doing that again. thanks!

here is something i discovered today in photoshop! the texture brush!!! i knew it was there, just never played with it. i think for the most part, i was able to imitate a grungy and gritty feel of a charcoal or pencil. interesting enough, i feel a lot more comfortable seeing my gestures on photoshop like this rather than a regular round brush. then i moved on to coloring on top of it.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heres a two paintings im proud of from yesterday's painting class. my scanner is too small to scan these two completely, but i will rescan the second one after its done.

i really like how the second one is coming along. except for the hand in the background, the size or shape of it is really bugging me.

ULTIMATE SKETCH GROUP
    Angelo | Gredgie | Matty

Website - Look at me
    Email - Hire me

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1