Sewer beast creature thingy stuff concept

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi.
    This is a WIP of an amphibious, sewer-dwelling creature.
    Made in GIMP.

I'm pretty new to doing concept art so... yeah.

I'm trying to make this thing sort of alligator-ish, the environment is supposed to be an ancient, semi-flooded sewer. There's no water yet cause I just don't really have any idea how to do that.
    He still needs more teeth and scales but one thing I'm really stuck on is eyes.
    Right now he has none and I haven't been able to come up with any that don't just make him look silly. As a result, I'm toying with the idea of having no visible eyes.

Anyway, now for the pics.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The creature is blue, right, but he should be affected by his surroundings - there should be some more warm earthy tones in there. His upper arm closest to us needs some more defenition.

Alligator-like? Looks nothing like one. Shorter limbs and a longer body would help. As for the head, you've made a big round head with two huge circular nostrils right on the front. It already looks silly

Elongate his head, make it flatter and more triangular, and remember not to plop the eyes ON the head. You need to 'carve out' ocular depressions and SOCKET the eyes in, and that means you can play around with the size and shape of the brows (making some frowny brows helps to make it look mean)

Hope that helped

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, this guy is pretty neat. He’s a humanoid down on all fours. You did a particularly good job around that arm/leg/tail area. The head is great fun for having those giant nostril-things and no eyes. I’m rather craving some different color in its mouth, though.

The background is obviously giving you more trouble, particularly with the perspective of the floor. Also, the funky, splotchy lighting is pretty, but I think you would have an easier time defining the 3D shape of your character if you tried painting it with a consistent light source that illuminated it on one side from head to tail. You can also use the shadow from a character to help establish where the floor is, by the way.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like it so far. what seams a little off to me is the left side of his body. it doesnt look like his front leg comes out of his sholder area in the same area as his right front does. you might have intended his body to be formed like that but it kinda looks like he only has 3 legs. he has a sholder/hip on the right side but the other side looks kinda just like a bulge and is missing that sholder and hip. you would not see much of it from the angel but you would probley still see parts of it or be able to tell that is there.

i like the way you started with the scale id like to see it after you put that thru the rest of his body.

never updated sketchbook

hopefully weekly updated blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to make this thing sort of alligator-ish, the environment is supposed to be an ancient, semi-flooded sewer. There's no water yet cause I just don't really have any idea how to do that.
    He still needs more teeth and scales but one thing I'm really stuck on is eyes.
    Right now he has none and I haven't been able to come up with any that don't just make him look silly. As a result, I'm toying with the idea of having no visible eyes.
    Hi, and welcome to conceptart.

Im not sure how much of your deisgn is intentional, so I strove to keep it as much as possible. (personally I would havve changed the angle and shape of the head.)

Im not the best at enviroment, so i'll leave that part of the crit to others more competent in that area.

I'd like to mention that one very important thing to keep in mind when drawing skulls, especially that of animals is to make sure that the upper and lower jaws are both in the same prespective.

Also In terms of bringing what you have further, i feel that more detail would really bring it to life.. more detail as in drawing in the forms of bone structures along the skull, and better defining form.

You mentioned adding more teeth, that's one of the things you can do...along with adding in the lips, gums, etc that would give your creature better realism.

Below is a quick red line that i did to show you what I mean. I wasnt sure about changing your design, so I kept the basics and just added details along the head.

I hope that's helpful. If not Im sorry for messing with your picture.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Spiralfish; July 21st, 2007 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Resized attached image.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.