Artificial Evolution

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Artificial Evolution

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Artificial Evolution

... or one step closer to AI.

Original Link via Pharyngula

Adrian Thompson developed an evolution algorithm that works as an invention machine. The latest in the inventions is a tonal discriminator thingy. The coolest part is this...

Dr. Thompson peered inside his perfect offspring to gain insight into its methods, but what he found inside was baffling. The plucky chip was utilizing only thirty-seven of its one hundred logic gates, and most of them were arranged in a curious collection of feedback loops. Five individual logic cells were functionally disconnected from the rest — with no pathways that would allow them to influence the output — yet when the researcher disabled any one of them the chip lost its ability to discriminate the tones. Furthermore, the final program did not work reliably when it was loaded onto other FPGAs of the same type.
    The inventor of the algorithm still has no clue as to how it works.

Last edited by LaPalida; July 6th, 2007 at 12:44 AM.
    Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm good read, I don't know if I would call that AI though. If something is preprogrammed then it isn't really 'thinking' on its own, although thats debatable cause you can say humans are 'preprogrammed' in our own way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't thinking of comparing this to humans actually. More to a prion or a virus.

Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPalida View Post
    I wasn't thinking of comparing this to humans actually. More to a prion or a virus.

Humans are a virus too. Agent Smith said so...

It's repulsive!

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember reading about those FPGA's (specifically the one you quoted) 5-10 years ago. I remember one of the things they found with one of the results was that a particular result was actually using the fact that a magnetic field generated by it's own chips altered the way it evaluated the data. Just really crazy shit.

I'm really curious as to the state of FPGA's and evolutionary code after 5+ years of first experimentation and whether anything truly viable has come out of them.

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, that's interesting how the solution adapted to the "quirks" of the individual chip, and also used a very obscure solution with feedback loops and seemingly disconnected parts. I suspect our 'Junk DNA' is similar. When humans build stuff it's very clean, polished and obvious. We favor symmetry and order, probably because it's easier to understand and memorize such constructions.

Since the simulation included "quirks" of the chip, it might not even be deterministic. It could make it harder to analyze things.

Genetic algoritms are always interesting in how they surprise you, and you never quite understand why the heck a particular solution emerged. If you figure it out you smack your forehead and go "Why didn't I think of that!".

A potential drawback to genetic algoritms are local optimums though. Humans have a fantastic advantage: foresight. We can temporarily worsen a solution in order to reach a higher local optimum later on. To combine these two forces of creativity would probably result in... great things.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Members who have read this thread: 1