Futurama Portraits

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Futurama Portraits

First up is Fry, next i'll do Bender and Leela.
    Critique if you want, this is my first full picture done with a tablet. I personally dislike the ear and collar, i'll go back and fix those up when I have got the time!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are they all going to be neck up shots and if so how am I supposed relate this too fry? If it is a portrait then should'nt there be a resemblance? If you said it were a re-design then that would be different. But to my knowledge portraits are supposed to have a likeness of there source.

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Leftyy is offline Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be a Goodfeather!
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    noshadowmaster, the artist is obviously drawing realism pictures for all the characters in Futurama... I don't really understand what you mean by your comment.

Ocksen, there are some anatomical issues, but other than that, it's a fair likeness. I could help with the anatomy by doing a paintover, but I'm too lazy and there are (if I'm to be truthful) too many errors. They're not huge errors for themselves, but in combination it's a little too awkward looking.

I'll do this in jot note form:

-neck is too thin at front
    -ear is just... too small, too low, too far back (you probably knew all that already)
    -hairline is too low all around
    -the shading on the face is incorrect
    -the shape/angle/size of the nose are incorrect and do not look like Fry's
    -the top lip doesn't exist
    -the eyes are too small, too far apart, too close to the side of the face for his right eye
    -iris and pupil are too small in comparison the sclera (if that's too scientific, then the blue and black stuff is too small in the white part of the eye)
    -the jaw is just pretty wrong; it's not really defined and it's just too long and doesn't work for me

That is most of the stuff. A lot of the mistakes can be fixed by drawing other people (family, friends) before drawing a character from a show. What I'm trying to say is, you should learn what people look like for real before attempting to draw something that isn't real realistically. That sentence was weird but there was no other way to say it. I hope it makes sense. If my critique was harsh, that's too bad. :p I guess that's all I have to say.

Last edited by Leftyy; July 2nd, 2007 at 08:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Leftyy View Post
    noshadowmaster, the artist is obviously drawing realism pictures for all the characters in Futurama... I don't really understand what you mean by your comment.

Ocksen, there are some anatomical issues, but other than that, it's a fair likeness. I could help with the anatomy by doing a paintover, but I'm too lazy and there are (if I'm to be truthful) too many errors. They're not huge errors for themselves, but in combination it's a little too awkward looking.

I'll do this in jot note form:

-neck is too thin at front
    -ear is just... too small, too low, too far back (you probably knew all that already)
    -hairline is too low all around
    -the shading on the face is incorrect
    -the shape/angle/size of the nose are incorrect and do not look like Fry's
    -the top lip doesn't exist
    -the eyes are too small, too far apart, too close to the side of the face for his right eye
    -iris and pupil are too small in comparison the sclera (if that's too scientific, then the blue and black stuff is too small in the white part of the eye)
    -the jaw is just pretty wrong; it's not really defined and it's just too long and doesn't work for me

That is most of the stuff. A lot of the mistakes can be fixed by drawing other people (family, friends) before drawing a character from a show. What I'm trying to say is, you should learn what people look like for real before attempting to draw something that isn't real realistically. That sentence was weird but there was no other way to say it. I hope it makes sense. If my critique was harsh, that's too bad. :p I guess that's all I have to say.
    A very fair critique! I noticed a lot of your corrections shortly after I finished, much to my dismay. I didn't use any reference at all for this, which probably isn't good. I think I'll do a few other characters, then try to redo a lot of the stuff on Fry. Or even just do some other pictures before my revision, I am kind of bored of this picture, lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Leftyy is very thorough. The only thing I have to add is his eyebrows look like they were plucked, I never pictured Fry as the "plucking type". Though I suppose in all the episodes he didn't really have eyebrows at all. None of the characters did. But if you're trying to make him look like a real person, I might go with fuller eyebrows.

Other than that, I look forward to your cracks at Bender, Leela, and perhaps other characters. (Gunther wants to see Scruffy!)

I think the problem with pen&ink is that there is no Ctrl+z command.

writers and artists have a lot in common -- we both draw from life, we both paint pictures, and we'll both spend to many sleepless nights on our work.

My (new) sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=100982

My (old) Sketchbook:http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=88773

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there,

Lookin' good. But I would try and make him a bit more "looser-like" type of guy. Here he looks kinda pretty...
    But hey, cool idea.

Leftyy is offline Ever since I can remember, I've always wanted to be a Goodfeather!
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Gunther409, I guess I was pretty thorough. That's why I decided to do it in jot notes (and, also, skip the paintover part of it). I talk a lot, and I like to help. Yeah, I actually thought about the eyebrow thing, but then I was uneasy about mentioning it because I thought I was bombarding Ocksen with criticism.

Ocksen, you should probably do other pictures first, then just restart this one at some point. As for doing Bender and Leela, you can try but make sure not to make the kinds of mistakes you made with this one. Were I in your position, I would practice more before doing anymore of the characters. It's up to you, though. One thing I forgot to mention (although, I swear I wrote it in somewhere) is that the middle of Fry's hairline doesn't curve down like that. It's not pointy. Aside from all of this, I have an amazing affinity for your username. I love it so much. Heh.

Last edited by Leftyy; July 3rd, 2007 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Be careful with the smudgetool. You overdid it a li'l with his hair and brows and it's not helping the painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gunther - I'll be sure to fix the eyebrows! thanks!
    Chupacabra - I think I attacked this picture from the wrong angle, I should have gotten the entire feeling of his emotion and face before trying to fully render it. Fry is a big slob, but I want to portray his inner goodness as well. thanks!
    Leftyy - Ocksen is actually the name of a main character in a book/graphic novel I am writing. He's supposed to have a sort of funny, nonsensical name, contrasting with the normal names of other characters. Thanks =)
    Cookiedough - It was odd, the smudge tool seemed to work very well in some places, and in others it didn't work at all. I'll have to experiment more. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ocksen, you're writing a graphic novel? Graphic novels are the reason I don't want to grow up. Heh. Maybe you should post some of your characters from that on here (I personally would be pumped to see that).

Your name reminds me of the plural of ox (oxen). That is, if I'm pronouncing it correctly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that's how it is pronounced. I promise to post up some concepts as soon as I have them done =)
    The title is The Self and the Shadow, btw =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.