Art: animal drawing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: animal drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

animal drawing

I have been drawing animals, mostly ungulates, at a couple of zoos twice a week this summer, but I need something more! I was looking for Rembrandt and Rubens animals drawings to copy but I can't seem to find much (those one or two Rembrandt lions keep popping up again and again).

(1) What artists are out there now that draw lively, accurate, realistic animals (esp. with attention to form & volume) who have work that is accessible either online or at the library?

(2) Are there any good tutorials or manuals available at the library or on the internet? (My library does not have a "drawing -- animals" subject heading.)

(3) How should I study? Right now I generally re-trace at home my quick drawings from the zoo with cylinders, box forms for hips, etc. I'm interested in doing the same things with Old Master drawings if I could find something besides that one Rembrandt lion.

All advice is welcome, whether you are a pro, an aspiring pro, or a novice.

Also, I intended to post some of my drawings on here. I didn't realize they had to be contained on another webspace. I'll post my drawings on this thread as soon as I upload them somewhere.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Peter De Seve does fantastic animals. Disney hires him over and over to do concepts. I believe he has a sketchbook or two out now.

He's not out there now, but Heinrich Kley did lots of great animal drawings (great figures too). There's a dover book on him that everyone should have...

A thought for practicing- after breaking them down into cylinders, boxes, and whatnot, try drawing the same pose from a different angle using the same cylinder/box construction. Then try drawing a new pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can upload pics from your harddisc to CA using the attachment manager (manage attachments under additional options when replying to, starting or editing a thread).

Goldfinger has a good anatomybook on animals, it's pricey though.
    In general, I use google for animal reference, and sometimes good links are posted on CA as well.

To study, that seems a really good way, also knowing a bit about anatomy helps you understand what you're drawing too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eugene Delacroix did some very active animal scenes, including some lion hunt paintings.

Rembrandt wasn't known for painting animals. You're lucky you found the ones you did.

The old masters didn't paint wild animals very accurately, since they didn't have easy access animals willing to pose for them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this should help

http://joeweatherly.net

Strange coincidence that every man whose skull has been opened had a brain.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rembrandt did the best drawing of an elephant I know of. I hope you find it.
    You'll find many dogs in his drawings. Rosa Bonheur did a dynamic- and very large- painting of galloping horses. It lives at the Metropolitan in NY and you should be able to find it on their web site. Tiepolo has dogs, donkeys and wonderful drawings of an Ostrich in the Puchinello series. In fact, my guess is that when you look through the work of most of the great artists of the past you'll find many drawings of animals. More are popping into my mind- lots
    in Goya and Velasquez drawings and paintings. Also, Degas and Lautrec.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.