Art: poly head trouble- help would be great
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

poly head trouble- help would be great

The front view and side view looks alright but when you rotate the head in 3D it just loses any good shape and form. I'm not sure how I can fix it either. any help would be great since Iím making this for a class and I really want to this model to look awesome.

here is the model if anyone is interested in DL and having a good chuckle or helping me out.

http://www.caffeineartist.com/drawings/Head.ma
    (its a maya asci file btw)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use a reference image of a face. Something that you can find on fineart.sk website ( I believe the link is here in conceptart somewhere)

Bring the reference image in and apply it as a material to a plane. Then have your mesh as see through so you can see the reference.

Use the reference to line up the muscle and skeletal structure. Usually if something looks ok in some view and off in others its just an anatomy issue.

The methods I would use are assuming its 3dsMax. I am not sure what the settings would be for Maya or something else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly it looks like its 30 percnet there. It looks like a rough of a detail head. You have all the major shapes and now you need to go in and model the area around the eyes The ears etcc.... I'm assuming that you're trying to make a high res model.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually I was going for a very low poly head (main reason why I didn't put detail in the ear are since it will eventually be covered with hair.)

but thanks for your input and that's pretty much what I did (still am heh) just twisting it and trying new things. Here's a little update- the texture doesn't quite fit since it was only for testing purposes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The back of the head in special needs serious rework. No more polys, but use reference and watch the proportions carefully.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here we go

allright this should help a bit
    i have never used maya but principles of 3d goes into any program well

the head is normally five eye lengths
    u have no rooom for the eye ball to fit

I see u do have the jaw line in the side view but u dont have the cheek bone in place

right now he is lookin alien becuase his head is not complete

also the neck comes into the middle of the head
    and the skull is not a full circle

for the most part if u want ur character low poly u must suggest the human form the best u can

you have a great start and I have seen some low polys only get this far so u are not doing bad
    but exagarate the human side of him a little more to take away the perfect sphere shape u got going

understand the eyeball fits in a socket with a skin covering the socket and the ckeek bone go right under there

the nose is very point widen the tip

also pull the jaw back to the front of ear and the ear is in the compleate center of the head
    just tweak it out and u will be great

dan was here

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.