Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ratatouille

Thanks

Ratatouille

WAS AMAZING. Fucking brilliant film. Probably the most mesmerizing, satisfying, worthwhile movie I've seen since V for Vendetta. The animation was gorgeous, the story was great, no idotic fart- or snot-jokes but brilliant, character-based humor instead... the whole audience was laughing and cheering out loud. Go see it now.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    can't wait to see it saw a few clips looks great
    of course anything from the mind of Brad Bird is genius
    The man is a god,
    The incredibles and the iron giant
    two of the best US films ever, none of the cheese of disney and even smarter than Shrek.

and also it is Pixar and Brad Bird.... can't wait.
    SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Yeah I agree with everything you said nonie. I loved it! from the very beginning to the very end including the funny disclaimer at the end of the credits that said something along the lines of 100% hand animated no mo-cap.

Thanks
    You hit it straight on, nonie. Pixar has once again given us a movie that's hilarious without being stupid and touching without being eye-rollingly corny. The animation has reached a new height as well.
    Most of the kid-aimed previews before the movie were absolutely dreadful, though.

Thanks
    yeah the tv spots don't do the film justice. They should of made them more like that Japanese trailer released a while back.
    What was everybody's favorite scene in the movie?

Thanks
    It seems to me like because of how expensive it is to make such high-quality computer animation, that they have to be very careful not to waste any footage.

...Which means not sloppily filming a huge amount of scenes, choosing a few, then sort of "seeing what works" as they go along. They have to make sure the writers and storyboarders are precise before they start to animate (and it would stink waste money a flop of a movie because of a bad plot).

Seems to me like you don't go wrong as much when you decide to watch one of these Pixar/Dreamcast, etc.. animated films.

Thanks
    My favorite scene I think was when Anton Ego tastes the ratatouille... Brilliant.

The theater I watched it in was packed with Pixar employees so everyone was really involved, clapping, laughing, cheering out loud... It was great. They all cheered the "100% animated" disclaimer too.

There's also little to no pop culture reference in there... The few times it came close were poking fun at stereotypes like "We're French, we're supposed to be rude," things that people have said for decades anyway. So 50 years down the line it's STILL going to be good. Real staying potential. Not like some of the other animated movies out there - in 50 years are people going to get the Matrix rotating camera reference?

Also, I may be laying it on pretty thick here, but in the tradition of The Iron Giant and The Incredibles, there are some deeper themes and messages... It's one of those movies with an instant, superficial entertainment value to reel you in, but the deeper messages are there, like the insanity it takes to follow a dream and the compassion and humanity it takes to help another do so. Or the fact that talent can come from anywhere but *passion* is what will actually make it possible to succeed. And that the more something costs you the more valuable it is to the world. All things that I guess hit me pretty close to home since improbable dreams are what drives us artists.

All this and it wasn't cheesy at all. Damn.

Gah. I can't get over this movie. Gonna go see it again.
    Last edited by nonie; July 1st, 2007 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks
    I liked the scene when Remy first arrives in Paris and he's running through the insides of the walls and whatnot, and through a hole in the ceiling you can see a woman pointing a gun at her boyfriend/husband/lover, then she shoots the gun at the ceiling and they immediately start kissing each other like mad. How much more cliched over-passionate French can you get?
    I also liked the scene where all the cardboard advertisements of Gusteau start talking, and each one has an different accent to go along with whatever kind of food he's advertising. Also, I enjoyed the scenes where we are reintroduced to Ego, the food critic. He was such a severe, intimidating character.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rblitz7
    yeah the tv spots don't do the film justice. They should of made them more like that Japanese trailer released a while back.
    Oh no, I think the TV spots were perfect. I don't know how kids and parents have received them, but personally I thought the spots revealed enough without letting go of all the best scenes. I hate when you get to a film only to realize that you saw every worthwhile bit on the TV already. The spots really don't do Ratatouille justice, but that's why the actual film is such a surprise.

It's hard to pick out a favorite bit. But I loved the scene when Remy's found Linguini asleep in the kitchen and he has to pull him into a standing position. The animation on Linguini being controlled by Remy was incredible. You could really believe his body parts were moving involuntarily.

Thanks
    I loved this movie too very much and all my friends and family did very much so... I liked all scenes you mentioned and here some more:
    I like when Remy saving the soup running putting spices and ingredient into it...
    I liked the scene Linguini complaining about not able to cook and modest gesture of the Remy when he was accused of being being a gook cook .
    I like Remy sitting on the Linguini hair and pulling each strands in one paw... with a confidence...Cooking mushroom with cheese on the roof was great...
    Idea of food combination and it is effect in our brains... nice and has a good attitude in general I think . Drinking very old good wine and talking about secret of cooking with main chef was funny.
    Kitchen full of mice kind of diminished my enthusiasm bit though ... I still think rats were too much, maybe hamster would be better for appetite.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nilaffle View Post
    Oh no, I think the TV spots were perfect. I don't know how kids and parents have received them, but personally I thought the spots revealed enough without letting go of all the best scenes. I hate when you get to a film only to realize that you saw every worthwhile bit on the TV already. The spots really don't do Ratatouille justice, but that's why the actual film is such a surprise.
    Oh I didn't mean they were too short I just thought they should have had one that emphasized the emotion and story rather then the humor. The humor can bring the kids and the other brings the adults.

Thanks
    fuckin brilliant. i'm already counting down the days for the DVD release. i just might go and see it again in theatres (this time, without my little nephew running up and down the isles).

my faviorte laugh-out-loud part was when Linguini was going to tell Collette about the rat Remy, and he's stuttering saying, "Collette, I have a secret. I have a ... a tiny little... a tiny tiny little...." LOL! Little kids didn't get it.

And the part when Linguini is asleep when he's supposed to be cooking, so Remy puts sunglasses on him and controls him like a puppet, and Collette is talking to Linguinin thinking he's awake and all that, and all Remy can do is make Linguini nod his head.

terrific man.

Thanks
    my faviorte laugh-out-loud part was when Linguini was going to tell Collette about the rat Remy, and he's stuttering saying, "Collette, I have a secret. I have a ... a tiny little... a tiny tiny little...." LOL! Little kids didn't get it.
    And she even glances down for an instant when he says it!

Thanks
    Just thought I'd chime in one more time...

RATATOUILLE RULZZZZ!!!

Thanks
    it's the best fucking animation i've seen in a while. can't wait to see WALL-E though
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks

Thanks
    I feel a smidge unfulfilled by the ending. But given the other possibilities, it strikes the best balance.

Everything else preceeding is absolutely fantastic. The scene with the pepper spray is pure gold.

Thanks
    i could feel the cold of the marble and heat of the kitchen...i could taste the food they were making with my eyes....

i hope pixar becomes the king of everything and destroys disney. destroys them, and then absorbs them.

as far as i'm concerned they are what disney should be...they're brilliant. absolutely brilliant.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,452 Times in 259 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nonie View Post
    Also, I may be laying it on pretty thick here, but in the tradition of The Iron Giant and The Incredibles, there are some deeper themes and messages... It's one of those movies with an instant, superficial entertainment value to reel you in, but the deeper messages are there, like the insanity it takes to follow a dream and the compassion and humanity it takes to help another do so. Or the fact that talent can come from anywhere but *passion* is what will actually make it possible to succeed. And that the more something costs you the more valuable it is to the world. All things that I guess hit me pretty close to home since improbable dreams are what drives us artists.
    Absolutely! I love a story with so many levels. This one was funny on top and with a fantastic message underneath.
    I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Very nice movie! Pixar are more intelligent than people often think.
    On another note, V for Vendetta is one of my pet hate movies...everyone seems to enjoy it but I care not for it.

Thanks
    i didn´t like V as much as the graphic novel, but the movie still captures the essence of the plot.
    "Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rustikof View Post
    i could feel the cold of the marble and heat of the kitchen...i could taste the food they were making with my eyes....

i hope pixar becomes the king of everything and destroys disney. destroys them, and then absorbs them.

as far as i'm concerned they are what disney should be...they're brilliant. absolutely brilliant.
    Pixar is Disney now. Disney bought Pixar and put John Lasseter in charge of both studios. Pixar has effectively absorbed Disney in all but name.

Eric
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    yessssssssss

i knew it

i'm so glad

that really does make me incredibly happy, because if theres one word that can describe pixar, its genuine. And thats what the REALLY good stuff, like fantasia, snow white, jungle book, etc--back for the age of the lion king movies (not to say the eisner line of movies were bad in anyway--just much more commercialized)--was.

I'm so happy. This kind of news makes me want to work at Pixar with the ferocity of a thousand suns.

Thanks
    I confess, I liked the story and characters of The Incredibles ever so slightly more than Rat, but the colors and textures of Rat were so much more rich yet subtle. The food textures... oh GOD I WANT SEARED BLACKENED TUNA NOW.

The rat postures and acting on Remy, perticularly in the jar scene, were amazing. I've watched many a rat scamper across my bed in my life (they're pets, thank you, not an infestation) and they nailed the rattie butt wiggle perfectly. The staging and cinematography in the scene where Remy first enters Gusteau's kitchen blew my mind. I thought they also did a better job with the treatment of the human skin in this one - everyone looked like they were made of vynil, but intentionally so.

I do kinda wish they had a bit more character/backstory to the other chefs though. I can't even remember their names or what made them stand out except for the thumb dude.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rustikof View Post

I used to have a similar view but if you think about it there was always a partnership between the studios, look at any Pixar release and the disney name is attached. I am not exactly what the nature of the partnership is but I know that Disney offered some finanical backing and more than likely distribution...

but you want to know what the main difference between the two studios is..........

STORY CRAFT.

Pixar seem to have a genuine affection for the characters they create, they don't always go for the obvious gag. Look at the writers credits for Toy Story, Joel Coen and Joss Whedon among others.

I think this may be the smartest movie Disney have made in a while,
    the last ten years have been some what barren for them, but when they take risks they do strike gold.
    Did anyone see Emperor's New Groove.... one of the funniest and best Disney films ever.
    SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    There's some Quicktime virtual tours of the sets here. Pretty cool to look at all the detail that went into the backgrounds.

http://movies.aol.com/movie-photo-bt...e-virtual-tour

(Thanks to Cartoon Brew for the link.)

BANNED_For_POOPY_PANTS Guest
    Besides being my new favorite film , Ratatuille also made me realize something about storytelling.

I've always been interested in screenwriting and have been working on a spec screenplay for the last three years. I always thought that the characters and setting should be extremely capable, 'larger than life' and somewhat grandiose in order to sustain the audeince's attention.

Wrong.

Think about the plot: A rat with heightened senses becomes France's #1 chef.

Thanks
    I already saw it twice, plan on seeing it again and again. I loove it so much, Patton Oswalt- in fact, ALL the voice actors were INCREDIBLE, something I felt has been left out in this thread

Thanks
    Beyond Pixar's great animation, their storytelling is what makes them better than anyone else. Rat was wonderfully told and is timeless.

Thanks
    I tend to immediately write off most big budget animations these days because of the lame ass story lines, predictable plots, overbearing celebrity voiceovers and 2 hours of wasted life for nothing more than one product placement or spinoff after another.

I've not seen Ratatouille (execpt for the 9min. trailer) but it looks refreshingly different. The style, the story... WOW!!!

If only more studios would go this route instead of the horrible schlock they produce the world would be a lot better place... err... well at least the animated world woudl be.

Mambo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.