Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Chicago - for real this time!

Thanks
    haha why is this always so hard
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Damn i missed the Brimstone session. I didnt think it would come so soon. Did anybody make it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 553 Posts
    i grew up in aurora, went to uiuc and all, but i live in California now. when i come home for the holidays, i still head into the palette and chisel. the right thing to do if you plan on staying in chicago or IL is to save your money and get the year's membership. then everything is free and you have access to the sunday members-only sessions.

a good way to start the new year is to go to their 10-hour drawing marathon on Jan 1st. no better way to start keeping your resolutions, you know.

anyway, i'm biased in my experiences in IL. out here, i studied with some of the best in the business. Mark Westermoe, Mike Butkus (you really need to check out http://www.mikebutkus.net Star Wars, Harry Potter, you name it there's about a 33% chance that he worked on it. i see him doing sketches for about 3 movies per week, dvd boxes, video game boxes, double page ads, etc. saw the original robocop poster in his studio too.) Nathan Fowkes (dreamworks), etc. etc. etc. After what I've seen out here though, I'm not super-impressed with the educational opportunities in Chicago. So I prefer LA for the education and level of ambition, but I prefer Chicago for the human stuff. it's more laid back.

Anyway, my advice to any aspiring professionals out there is to become a member at the P&C. Go every day for a good six months. Then worry about finding a good school or whatever. Don't waste your time finding the perfect teacher if you haven't paid your dues first. I know this from experience, and I see a ton of poor art students out here making no progress because they just don't put in the drawing mileage.

Besides, LA doesn't have shit as far as a downtown. don't even get me started about how much i hate the Lakers.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks

it's dusty in here...

i'm gonna be up there later this month into early november and will be wanting to sketch with some of y'all if that's a possibility. i don't know anything bout chicago (although i've been there a few times), and i'll also be pretty occupied with work which i'm up there for. of course i'll fill you in on dates, etc. closer to time. I'd be interested in sketching at the field museum (i love the field museum) or perhaps at the art institute. anywhere there're lots of people would be sweet as well.

"your welcome" for bumping/saving your thread...

cheers -n- jeers
    gugg

Thanks
    Thank you. I guess Chicago isnt exactly the place for meeting CA artists. Hopefully by the time you get out here we will have some kind of response for you. If it still needs to be said: i am interested.
    Last edited by Jason Scanlon; October 16th, 2007 at 12:25 AM. Reason: specificity

Thanks
    Yet again i miss the Brimstone session. Family affairs. I really hope i can make it next month. Anybody going to Seattle?

Thanks

Unhappy

unfortunately my trip up there got cancelled... mega-bummer: it would have been nice to draw with you guys.

guggen

Thanks
    Brimstone is a lot of fun, I'll post some of the drawings when I get them scanned/photographed. About 12 people showed up for this one. There was still plenty of room for more. They have room for probably ~30 artists. It's usually on the 3rd Saturday of the month. The models have been really fantastic every time I've been there.

Thanks
    Hey .6. thanks for the feedback in my sketchbook (awhile back). I've been definitely thinking of moving up to drawing live models.

I've been looking into attending the open sessions at Palette and Chisel and then I've read the notice about the Brimstone on 11/17. Sounds live, but can anyone give some advice on how useful it would be for someone not quite familiar with live model drawing?
    "Afraid not of none of you cowards but of my own strength"

Gallery

Thanks
    Drawing live models takes some getting use to, especially if you're use to drawing from photos. People move. They cramp up after sitting a certain way for too long. They are alive. It's a wonderful experience and capturing the life of someone is part of the challenge. I would tell you to take a look at a few anatomy books first. Atlas of Human Anatomy by Stephen Peck is great.

Thanks

Red face

Per previous post....
    I have now moved from TN to the suburbs of Chicago! It has been roughly 2 weeks and everything is finally beginning to settle more.
    I would definitely like to get involved in a sketch group around here, I never have been involved in one before now. I would need a little more settling in time beforeI could find my way around and actually start focusing back on drawing and sketching.
    Right now I am planning on attending Harper community College in the Spring because I am about half way through an Associates and I want to at least finish it in case one day I decide to pursue a BA.
    Next Summer/Fall I plan on applying for SORA (School of Representational Art - www.representational-art.com). Hopefully I can make it in ,it seems like an amazing school. In the mean time I am just focusing on doing some Bargue drawings on my own and I would really like to make some friends in the art community up here.
    Cheers
    Niyanamae
    "The Lord illuminates my darkness. "
    - 2 Samuel 22:29

Sketchbook /Website

Connect with me on Facebook!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NiyanaMae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That sounds great. SORA is one of the few places around here ive considered giving my money to.

Hey Latenite, i started out by drawing people from the upper level on the metra when i visited my friend who moved to his dad's. I would say that any drawing from life is helpful but it is a bonus when the subject is paid to hold still for a little bit. Drawing people on the cta can be tricky depending on the time of day. People seem to take offense, i dont know. That kind of drawing feels like good practice, though, it forces you to lay down a fast gesture.

Thanks
    Metalyst- thanks for the Peck referral. I've looked at the book before and I agree that the book is really good. I've been trying to get a grasp on anatomy for about a year now and it was one of the first books I picked up in my studies. I definitely want a permanent copy on my shelf.

.61803 - Yeah, I've tried sketching on the train and at the airport. Good 'til they catch you, then I find that everybody gets self-conscious.

I'm hoping to be able to make it to P&C on Sat.- With it being my last free weekend before holiday crush I want to take advantage of it and get some drawing in. We'll see if I can make it into the city.

NiyanaMae - welcome to Chicagoland.
    "Afraid not of none of you cowards but of my own strength"

Gallery

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast