A boy in a cave.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A boy in a cave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

A boy in a cave.

Done in photoshop, still needs work. Any crits are absolutely welcome.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's a cool start. Mostly I like the entrance to the cave in the bg and the lantern the boy is holding. I'd really like to see your shadows darkened considering the environment. Are you planning to complete the piece in b&w? B/c I'd like to see some colors show up in the shadows, some deep purple or something, to make your darks a little more emphatic. And, what is that in the lower right anyway?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haden't considered coloring it, infact it was going to just be a line drawing... but color could really liven it up. Ill darken some of the shadows up. the thing in the lower right hand corner was supposed to be a big rock or something, to balance the comp a bit more. Should I cut it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay for line drawing! I like the concept and your style. It's soft and minimalist. The contrast is great.

I would try to give the boy some more details. He doesn't have as much as the cave behind him or the bear beside him. Seems a little off balance to me... just my opinion tho.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started adding some color, and it looked like this.... Im undecided on whether or not the color should stay. On the one hand it adds interest, but on the other, I just feel like it looks a bit slapped on.

And this is the b&W

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, that's not what I meant w/ the color suggestion ;D That color looks strange b/c the kid's in a cave. Those colors are just too bright. I think that it would be cool if you left it b&w but added a light yellow to the areas lighted by the lantern and purple to the shadows. And that should be about all the color you would be able to see in there. As for the rock, well, I just couldn't tell what it was.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to me, the position of the boy relating to the position of the background cave seems to be a little off. I really like where you are going with this tho, it has a great sense of story and adventure.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.