Wacom's nibs.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Wacom's nibs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wacom's nibs.

How often do you consume (if your nibs deteriorate at all) your nibs?
    I'm destroying them in no time...setting a lower pression just doesn't feel right
    Can i draw with a "flat" nib or should i replace it once it loses its original sharpness?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my Intuos3 nib is pretty worn down but it took me like 6 months to get it worn down to where it is. I really don't feel much difference in the sensitivity even with it worn down. My Intuos 2 nib was barely worn down even after 2-3 years of use. Go figure...

If you want more resistance on the tablet I would suggest using the gray nib. Right now I'm using the nib with the spring on it. I feel like it's more forgiving with stroke pressure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using the white standard nibs, i takes me about hmmm 2 weeks to unsharpen it......
    I know, very hard strokes, that's a bad habit...
    I'll try the grey one!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tape another layer of acetate on top of the tablet's surface to protect it and it lets the pen slide more easily for me. Not sure if this would be your thing since it makes the surface really slippery ^^; But in the five or so years I had my Graphire, I've never had to replace the nib (though did manage to wear it down to about 1 millimeter). Two years on my Intuos3, and nib's just slightly flattened at the tip.

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    According to the instructions, you only need to replace the nib when it has worn down to a 1mm stub.
    I used my Graphire3 for a couple of years without the need for a nib replacement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by himlayan View Post
    I tape another layer of acetate on top of the tablet's surface [...]
    What kind of acetate, or where to get it? I've heard of waxing the surface, but obviously anything reducing friction should do.
    My nibs will develop a flat point quickly, but that doesn't mean I won't still use them. It shouldn't be much of a problem to produce longer-lasting nibs and surfaces...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    even if you don't think you notice a change in sensitivity as your nib wears down, I immediately noticed a difference the first time I got a new one. YYMV, but since then I'm more particular about my nib size.

My artwork ~ Morning Solstice
    Sketchblog for great justice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i had my intuos 1 for 10 years and eventually the plastic overlay started to develop scratches that involved the upper surface wearing off. This was enough to really interrupt the smoothness of the pen. It did give me an excuse to upgrade to intuos 3 though.

I think the problem with the worn nib is it's ability to damage the surface of the overlay due to it's sharper edges. But you should get quite a few years before this happens. You can always get replacement sheets though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Heza View Post
    What kind of acetate, or where to get it? I've heard of waxing the surface, but obviously anything reducing friction should do.
    My nibs will develop a flat point quickly, but that doesn't mean I won't still use them. It shouldn't be much of a problem to produce longer-lasting nibs and surfaces...
    Just the regular ones you can buy from an art supply store (wasn't really aware there was more than one ^^; ). Hope this helps!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.