Marriage

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Marriage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Marriage

Basically, I'm having trouble with finding a color combination that works, and I'd like to get other peoples' opinions on the perspective, etc. If there are any other problems anyone sees besides those I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Okay, here's my piece with the rack focus blurs, but my coloring still needs work:

Marriage

Here's the same thing without blurs (to show detail a little better):

Marriage

And here's a close-up:

Marriage

Thanks in advance, I appeciate it!

Last edited by wishcreator; June 26th, 2007 at 11:00 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

In addition...

Also, if anyone can point me to tutorials for stone texturing, that would help as well. Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok let's see...

Overall, there appears to be too many areas of greatly varying value and texture and not enough overall form to describe volume. I can never explain this well... but it's like these textures are becoming overall patterns, and it's hard to see the shapes and planes of the forms. That's what I feel to be the main problem. When you zoom out as well, all those little bits are lost and make it all look complicated and messy.

Composition-wise, shoving a huge column in front of some pivitol action (the man in the back and his struggle) is sure to cause confusion. I had no idea what he was doing until I looked at it for a third time and noticed the little crawling guy he was fighitng.

The perspective of the large round structure to the right is off. Looks like we're looking at it from above.

The woman's arms, arrow and gaze seem off. With the angle of her two hands as is, the arrow and bow should be directed more down and less forward.

Her hair is VERY weird. Not thin enough for natural hair, not thick enough for dreads.

One thing I really like (intentional or not) is the way you made your characters stand out by giving them an overall warm colour, which not only makes them the point of interest, but also the warm earth tones on the cool green background (actually that's a pretty warm green, but still) makes them come forward. So props on that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the hair is supposed to be braids. A little more texturing on the brightly lit sections would probably help make them more obvious.

Beware the bulging lighting on her stomach - you're making her look almost pregnant.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are a couple of things I'd suggest:

The difference in values between the woman's (super beefy) right arm and the guy's back aren't significant enough to distinguish the forms.

You also may want to reconsider your light sources - you've got three torches in frame that should be casting intense green/yellow light on the characters. Right now they seem kinda flat/universally lit. The torch below should be causing some really awesome shadows and pools of darkness in the woman's body area, in addition to obliterating most of that cast shadow of her body.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the poses, and I like the hair, it looks like thin ropes coming out of her scalp. Different and interesting. The lighting is a bit weird, though. The torch has a definite greenish cast, which doesn't show up on either character. When you're painting directly lit areas and highlights, pick the color of the light. Not the very inside brightest color of the light, which is blown out to white, because there is light falloff. Like how a candle flame falls off from pure white at the center to yellow-orange at the edges. This edge color is much closer to the color of light the flame actually casts. So both characters, the woman especially, wouldn't look pink in a greenish light. It looks as though she is lit with pure white light, which doesn't match the torch. Green doesn't mix with pink/red and come out pink/red. Yup. Good stuff so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thank You

Hey everybody, thanks for the insights, I really appreciate it! As for the hair, Kaete was correct, is is supposed to be braids, although some additional detail will need to be added to make that more obvious. I think I see what you guys are saying too with there almost too much detail in the surrounding elements and it's getting a little too cluttered. Thanks again everyone for all your comments, and if anyone else sees something to point out, by all means please continue to post, I'll take all the advice I can get!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.