Hit Me With Your Feedback Stick

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi, I've just redesigned my website and would love your expert (there are some great artists here btw) opinion on it, and the art therein.

There are a couple of things left to complete, but feel free to critique your socks off.

www.danavenell.com

Cheers!

Last edited by Towelie; June 25th, 2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: added image
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Each and every section looks like it was design by a different person. Get some unity in there. Also, the number of navigation bars and somewhat ambiguous names (I didn't know where to go to see your portfolio, or if I was already at it) was a bit intimidating.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    "Dynamic Portfolio"= worst idea ever.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    "Dynamic Portfolio"= worst idea ever.
    Why is that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the first page. Easy to click on the art on the right and get a quick view of your work. There then that, nothing is consistent with the rest of the site. I would continue with that scheme throughout your website.

The interactive portfolio needs to go by the wayside. If you want to do that stuff, post it on You Tube for your friends. Don't put it on a site where you are looking for professional work.

As a side note, no one wants to see a bunch of chicks hanging on a stripper's pole. Okay, a lot of people do... They're not Art Directors and not who you want looking at your site in the first place.

Jeffrey J. Visgaitis
    The Inner Circle
    www.icirclegames.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, there's some really good artwork there, but i have to say
    NO POP-UP WINDOWS
    they are the single most annoying thing about art sites, when the artwork that you wanna see pops up in a new window, you wanna keep it symple if you want someone to seriously consider your work

keep the design very basic, same size buttons, same size windows or frames for every page, basically use a style sheet for your website so everything is unified, and crazy colors only work if the design in which they are is good and interesting and they complement each other, otherwise shoot for basic

they dynamic portfolio is a horrible idea because with it you force someone to look at work that they might have no interest in, with links you can choose what you want to see, plus its too long, when you do something like that you wanna keep it short so the viewer dosen't get bored with it, and trust me, the initial excitement of something like that wears off very quickly

the navigation bar is very good to have on the top, not on the side, makes more room for other stuff, like a portfolio that has all the links on one side and the image in a frame next to the links, spiffy, but symple, easy to use very clean
    when you do that though, make sure only the frame with the image refreshes, if the links refresh its a pain in the butt to scroll back down and find where you left off

have different sections for different categories of artwork, like one page for your sketches, one for photography, one for sketches, and so on. never use an image in one gallery in another, like never have an image in your illustration and your sketches gallery

last thing, make sure all the links work, its very frustrating when you see a thumb for a picture and you can't see the whole thing, there are 2 images in your sketch gallery that don't work
    if i was a potential employer and looking through this, one broken link and i'm done looking

ps: its the one in the very center of the sketches gallery and the one 2 spaces to the right of it

pps: the laser monkeys need to go, that's more something for a freewebs page

Last edited by Calis; June 26th, 2007 at 02:02 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've read that before, and I thought my site largely follows that good advice.

The pop-ups, as explained in the sketch-book page, are about to replaced by a flash gallery similar to the one on the index page. This is also why there is the same image in the sketch-book and main page at the moment.

I suppose if you saw the site before the refurb, you would appreciate that all the changes have been about simplifying, making the style uniform, etc. Clearly I still have some work to do in that area.

Dynamic portfolio - well, some people have said they love it, I find it a fun way to show lots of my work, and if viewers are bored they can pause it or skip immediately to a different section? Still, if enough people say it stinks I will reconsider my opinion.

I appreciate all the advice, cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you're really set on including this video portfolio you should think about breaking that up in categories too, mabe not as complex as a regular gallery but somewhat divided up
    and have every piece you include in it in the regular gallery so if there's something in there that really catches someone's eye they can find it fairly quickly

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.