Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: moonskittle's sketchies: updating daily and looking to grow

Thanks

moonskittle's sketchies: updating daily and looking to grow

I picked this sketchbook back up after a couple years. Go to the next page to see much more recent stuff.

---------------------------------------------------
    I'm new here to Concept Art - I stumbled upon the site by accident looking for some drawing references on head angles. But I really am excited about posting sketches and getting critique! Yay!
    I'm seventeen, and my name is Natasha. Most of what I do is semi-cartoony-illustration-watercolors. Recently I've been working on doing still life and life drawings to get more experience and be able to put more detail into my imaginative drawings.

The first picture below is of different elements on my bus ride today; the top piece is the back of a mirror and the bottom is the back of the seat in front of me. It's a bit rough, but I was drawing these on a bumpy moving bus, only having about five to fifteen minutes on each.

The second is of trees, obviously. They are the trees nearby where I wait for said buses.
    (don't mind the face. )

And the third is my work for the first assignment on Concept Art 101 The chair is real while the shirt is my imaginative insert.
    Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by moonskittles; February 1st, 2013 at 12:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

self portraits

These are a few self portrait exercises. The first one failed terribly but was good practice.
    The second two are the second assignment of Concept Art 101, being to draw yourself from a mirror and then add something to it that wasn't actually there.

Thanks
    Perfect attitude and great base drawing skills. If you work hard on this you can become a whole crapload better.
    I'm 15, great to see other young artists around CA.

First post yay

Thanks
    Yay! Thank you very much! ^.^

Okie dokie, update time!

Today I wanted to work more on people sketching, but the only person I was really able to get for a model at the time was myself. This didn't seem to present too much of a problem, but in the end it actually did.

The first one, of my feet, was fine. However, the last three had to be ended before I was actually finished for various reasons: the one with the propped leg was cutting off blood circulation to my foot, which became very uncomfortable after fifteen minutes. The second involved me standing, and I have never drawn while standing before and discovered it to be rather uncomfortable, especially when I couldn't move my legs or feet at all. And the last one ended up going till ten o'clock, and I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, so I was starving. I must say that it's a bit intimidating to post pictures involving yourself as the nude model.
    Oh, and the one with me standing was done with a mirror, which is why my anklets suddenly switched to the other side. Not that I expect any of you to have noticed that.

Thanks
    Hey moonskittlesvery nice Sb, i like your selfportrait studyes specialy last one i'm kid.
    Keep it up

Thanks
    I like it! Your second portrait is my favourite. You're definately on the right track so keep it up

Thanks
    Your got talent that's for sure. Keep drawing and you'll get really good in no time. Your lins look clean most of the time but I would suggest you did some hairstudies - not that your hair awful, it got nice flow and density, but it looks like cloth in some pictures. I'm not very good at drawing hair so I might be wrong about this. Anyways, update often and you'll improve fast!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombie_dla View Post
    Your got talent that's for sure. Keep drawing and you'll get really good in no time. Your lins look clean most of the time but I would suggest you did some hairstudies - not that your hair awful, it got nice flow and density, but it looks like cloth in some pictures. I'm not very good at drawing hair so I might be wrong about this. Anyways, update often and you'll improve fast!
    Hah, yeah, even I don't know how to draw hair effectively...I mean, I know how (Just draw all of the strands) But I'd rather have a faster way to do it. =/

Still looking good. =)

Thanks
    lol. Do realize that in the last self portrait, it IS cloth; I've got a towel wrapped around my head, as I had just gotten out of the shower.
    But I know that my hair in the others doesn't quite look right, either. I'll try practicing some hair then! ^.^ Thanks.

Thanks
    What a great start to a sketchbook! Thanks for stopping by mine....

Must be quite nerve racking to be posting a nude self portrait huh? haha

Nice work on the SPs what kind of pencil are you using?

One comment/critique I have for you is that you should try adding more tone and value, so your self portraits have form instead of being simply line drawings... You started to do this in your second post but you need to push it further... dont get me wrong this is a GREAT start!

and just a quick note on hair... Hair has a very dark value, you have to add in highlights to give it the form that it needs...

Keep looking at everyone elses stuff... its all amazing, let it inspire you and your mind will soak it all up like a sponge... try to learn as much as you can from everyone on here, dont be afraid to ask questions...

keep up the studies... are you trying to make this into a daily sketchbook?

p.s. my drawing is a 2 min gesture of a girl sleeping on a table... i guess the way i blocked in her hair and hand kind of makes it look like a bunny man, but from now on ill only be able to think of it as that...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Looped_Warrior View Post
    What a great start to a sketchbook! Thanks for stopping by mine....

Must be quite nerve racking to be posting a nude self portrait huh? haha

Nice work on the SPs what kind of pencil are you using?

One comment/critique I have for you is that you should try adding more tone and value, so your self portraits have form instead of being simply line drawings... You started to do this in your second post but you need to push it further... dont get me wrong this is a GREAT start!

and just a quick note on hair... Hair has a very dark value, you have to add in highlights to give it the form that it needs...

Keep looking at everyone elses stuff... its all amazing, let it inspire you and your mind will soak it all up like a sponge... try to learn as much as you can from everyone on here, dont be afraid to ask questions...

keep up the studies... are you trying to make this into a daily sketchbook?

p.s. my drawing is a 2 min gesture of a girl sleeping on a table... i guess the way i blocked in her hair and hand kind of makes it look like a bunny man, but from now on ill only be able to think of it as that...
    Yay thank you!
    Ahhh right! You're right about the hair; I realized that before but sort of semi-forgot it. In any case I'm already working on practicing hair now.

And the kind of pencil varies. The SPs I believe are mostly in mechanical, and my pictures of the outside world are done with this cheap, really hard and light pencil. Just ordinary writing pencils. I have drawing pencils, though. Hm. I guess I should use them. XD

And yes, I am trying to make this a daily SB. I wonder how long I can keep it up.
    Last edited by moonskittles; June 27th, 2007 at 09:33 AM.

Thanks
    Here's an update for things I did later yesterday. I'll update again tonight with all the things I do today.

The first was a sketch of a girl on the bus, and of a dumpster. The dumpster drawing got cut off short because my bus came.
    There's also a woman's feet that was waiting for the bus and one of the bus doors. I'm generally not too happy with any of the stuff I had done at that point.
    Then I have an imaginative drawing in which I used a few references for hair, cheeks, etc. I realized that for the longset time I've drawn the face profile wrong; usually my nose is too large and the eyes too large and far back. I think the nose-cheek area on this one might be too long. What do you guys think?

Thanks
    I think you are doing really well, especially with the human studies. The still life however could do with a little more work. In some of them I can see where you have drawn what you think its there rather than what is there. Especially in the first two drawings. I had a teacher once that said you should look more at the thing you are drawing than the drawing itself.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast