Sketchbook: Trying to not suck. I'm an art student now. Huh. Go figure. Updated: 11/24/09

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trying to not suck. I'm an art student now. Huh. Go figure. Updated: 11/24/09

Last edited by Osau; November 25th, 2009 at 12:44 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    allright first post. I kinda hate to bring it to you but you do have ways to go.

first things first. when drawing the human figure everything is predictable. in fact its mathematically predictable. i tried searching for a site for you but instead im juts gonna scan some pages from a book and give it to you. give me a day or 2 on that one though.

anyways. when you draw..try this....think of what you draw in 3 dimentions. it adds depth more easily that way

as for value only focus on highlight, midtone and shadow (so white, gray and black)...when you shade you can make transitions from the 3 but make sure you have white whites and black blacks.

if you're interested in doing some poses go to this website. i do a few every night just to keep it up..they really help and they're good poses too
    www.posemaniacs.com/blog

hope that helped somewhat and i'll post those scans soon. just keep posting here and you will improve for sure lats mate

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ped454-thanks for that link, it's pretty awesome. And huge thanks for the critiques. I just got my tablet, so it's still a little weird for me, but every little bit of help....well.....helps....yeah. Thanks.

Here are some more sketches that I drew earlier today, thanks to good 'ole Loomis and his nigh-demigod awesomeness.

Trying to not suck. I'm an art student now. Huh. Go figure.    Updated: 11/24/09

Trying to not suck. I'm an art student now. Huh. Go figure.    Updated: 11/24/09

Again, any critiques are more than welcome. Thank you for your time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just two for today. I'm been messing around with adding mass and muscle to the basic frame, so tell me what you think I can do differently.

This one's rib cage looking rather akward...

Anyways, that's it for today. If anyone has any sources on information to drawing hands and feet, that would be awesome and much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hands and Feet

Just repeatedly drawing hands and feet from different angles and in various poses, using your own hand/foot as a model, should help a lot.

Here's an about.com site I found about drawing hands:

http://drawsketch.about.com/library/.../aa112402a.htm

XaNverse is offline I named my artistic universe: XaNverse (..lame.. I know)
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! I recommend more perspective studies because everything
    is affected by it even the human body. Start by drawing simple objects in perspective and then move up to more complex ones. Getting better at perspective drawing will help a lot in the future. I hope this helps.

Last edited by XaNverse; December 1st, 2007 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I haven't posted in a good 5-6 months, so I figure it's about time to do that. I haven't been able to draw near as much as I would want because of school and work and a very charming girlfriend, but I've been able to more in the past few weeks, so here goes.

First, a few simple buildings inspired by lamps and such, haha.
    and

Last edited by Osau; March 11th, 2009 at 02:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u should do mass amounts of body studies i think. coz u seem to like drawing ppl yet proportions r incorrect. even when ur drawing u should think more about wat ur drawing, testing diff angles so on to see which looks bestin diff perspectives.
    keep studying as i am also! lol
    also feel free to crit/comment my sketchbook if u want

Check out my SKETCHBOOK ...looking for helpful advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decided to start my sketchbook up again. I haven't really been drawing much, but I'm trying to get back into it. Dusted off the ol' Wacom and I'm trying to get better at it, but I'm still quite clumsy at it.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick study of Rick Deckard (Harrison Ford) from Blade Runner. Possibly one of the greatest Sci-Fi movies ever, based on one of the best novels ever.

Edit: Also added one of David Beckham (more or less) and didn't want to bump my thread all the way to the top. Hence the edit.

Last edited by Osau; March 11th, 2009 at 07:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Only one today. British actor Hugo Weaving. Probably took far too much time on it, but I really wanted to get better at shadows and lighting so I spent about 40mins on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Ford and Weaving pics show fairly good likenesses, but the outlines don't seem quite right. I'd say to dial back the thickness on those black lines a bit, they seem a bit distracting at the looseness with which they're applied.

As always, gonna recommend figure drawing, my wild inane guess is that you need to try feeling out the forms, and reapply the clean line idea, see if it helps any.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need to start updating regularly. I have been doing some body studies from posemaniac, but I haven't scanned them yet, so here are two really quick sketches. I think they are both from Domai, correct me if I'm wrong. Also, I am going to try to start doing environments, hopefully often. Do you guys have any tips? I've done some in oil before, but never digitally, which is what I'm really trying to get used to.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JJ McKool -- Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I really need to start cleaning up the lines on these. They;re bulking and sketchy. I've been studying Loomis and posemaniac, but don't necessarily want to upload all of the pages of sketches I have done, so that may have ot wait for another day. Thanks a lot for commenting though!

Only one for tonight. I haven't been drawing near as much as I would like to due to school work and whatnot. Trying to find time usually ends up with me going to sleep rather late (or early, as the case is right now). Critique, comments, what-have-you. It's just another study of a photo of my girlfriend. Decided to add color and work on more color values, though the highlights are way off. Dunno.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work! It looks like you are doing very well at getting the proportions correct in your photo studies, which is something that I've always had problems with.

Just something you might want to try with your drawings/paintings (this goes for both your digital and traditional work): start big, and work your way small. In photoshop, this means choosing a really huge brush and blocking in large areas of general color. Get the composition right, then start working in on the details. Like you're carving them out of the color. In your traditional drawings, spend some time sketching out rough shapes of all the body parts. Once you get the positions and proportions right, then go in and start adding eyes, fingers, contour lines, etc.

My drawing made a huge leap forward once I started thinking of things like this. If you start in with the details, you get bogged down in them. Start general, then work your way in.

I hope this helps, you're off to a really good start.

Oh, one more thing: check out www.characterdesigns.com. Lots of different, well-lit poses with several different models. Posemaniacs is a great tool, but the 3D models have the disadvantage of not deforming or bulging like real people do. Lots of really awesome reference pics to check out at that site.

Got a couple minutes? Help me improve!
    My Sketchbook | Finished Illustrations

Elsewhere on the web:
    Behance | Deviantart | Steammachines | Mcthrill.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gmc9987 -- Thanks for that comment! I tried that with this next one. It was a quick five or ten minute sketch between classes, but I blocked everything in first and then rounded the edges and fleshed it out and whatnot. And that site is stellar! I had never seen it before; it's definitely going to be a frequent use.

Just one for right now. Easy way to spend a few minutes, trying to get values down across the female torso. Women are gorgeous. And so enjoyable to draw! Her lats seems to be too wide by a bit, but oh well. I'll fix that the next time around.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Osau View Post
    Decided to start my sketchbook up again. I haven't really been drawing much, but I'm trying to get back into it. Dusted off the ol' Wacom and I'm trying to get better at it, but I'm still quite clumsy at it.
    I pretty much live on these keys while sketching.

B=Brush
    E=Eraser
    D=Reset Background Foreground Colours
    X=Swap Background and Foreground Colours
    [ & ] = for brush size (I have it 'Scratched' left side of Intuos3)
    Shift+[ & Shift+] for brush hardness
    Keys 1-0 for opacity
    Shift (1-0) for brush flow (note: if airbrush is on, it would control the opacity)

Google 'Visibone pallete' and check the pictures. You might like it (for Photoshop)

Pocket a small sketchbook and pencil.
    It's like a diary, only with pictures.

Last edited by vardoburrito; March 24th, 2009 at 07:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dwardo -- Thank you so much for that! Geez that is a lot quicker hahaha thank you very much for your assistance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problems punk! :|
    Kidding.
    .[noob]

I myself had to peek over graphic design mates because they assumed everyone knew those keys already. I didn't fulken know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PS. Ooops, sorry.
    Shift (1-) for brush flow (note: if airbrush is on, it would control the opacity)

I forgot to add that one. Edited.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, haven;t updated in almost a week, which is almost a week too long. Haven't had much time, honestly, with classes and stuff, but I managed to churn this out earlier today. Using dwardo's tips, this went much faster. Still very messy. I swear I'll work on it one day. I kinda dig the extreme sketchiness, though, so what do you think? Anyways, just a quick ref sketch with some incredibly general and quick light values. Comment? Critique? Thank ya much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again haven't drawn near as much as possible, but I'm trying really hard to keep it going. Quick eye study and a cleaned up and slightly colored version of the sketch above. May actually go with this one, but who knows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, well, I've wasted too much time on this, and I don't even really like it, especially the face. Came out very blah. However, I did learn a lot about Photoshop, so I guess not all is lose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a little dump because I'm bored but determined. Trying to get into environments, hence the rather horrible thumbnail. Is that a dog or a horse? I'm going to go with a really large dog for now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been drawing quite a bit, but haven't uploaded anything in a while. I have only done on digital sketch since last time, everything else is on paper, and my scanner kind of acts up, so they will be up eventually maybe. Anyways, just a quick study and some eyes. I think I'm starting to understand them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey looking good so far, although with your sketchy lines and transparent shading your drawings look pretty timid. That will change the more you draw, I look back on my earlier drawings at the start of my sketchbook thread from several months ago and cringe at some of them. One thing that might help you is to turn off the opacity control on your tablet and try painting a figure using only two colors - black and white. No middle grays, no blending, just straight black and white shapes. Force yourself to get that contrast in there.

Also, try picking the darkest point of your drawing, and make sure that it's SUPER black. Don't be afraid to put in extreme darks or highlights, contrast is what makes drawings and paintings interesting (some may disagree, but I'll stand by that statement).

Elsewhere on the web:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gmmc9987 - Thanks for the advice man. You have definitely been of help. Yeah, I've really been working on strengthening my lines, though I do a buch better job at it in traditional mediums. I tried a little bit of what you said in this update.

Speaking of updates, this is just a single piece I did early this morning before class. I also recently started to carry a small pad around with me everywhere and when I'm fighting off sleep in some of my more docile classes I'll look around and draw other students. I've found that it has already begun to help me greatly in my facial proportions and stuff. So, A+ for carrying around a pad and pencil all the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't updated in a few days. I did this original drawing and lines about 4 months ago but just did the color yesterday. Seeing as it is my first real colored work, I decided to post it to get some feedback. The face is really bad and I need to redo it but I haven't decided if I really want to or not. So who knows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I see I'm not the only one considering re-drawing a face.

Your skin tone looks pretty good, but I think you should re-consider what colors you're using for shadows and highlights. You shouldn't use black and white for shadows and highlights. In natural lighting, most shadows are very deep blue, and highlights are yellow or orange. Try mixing some of those colors in, and that might help you out.

Keep it up! The contrast in that piece above you is great, try and keep that same amount of contrast in your color. If you change the color mode of your document to grayscale, you can see how much contrast you have.

Elsewhere on the web:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm gonna second gmc9987, throw some color into that skin! Don't be afraid to experiment with blues and purples in the shadows, it will bring a lot more life to the skin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.