Sketchbook: Nizza sketches -02 - Page 4

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Whitevillage: thanks

Buckster: cheers dude, im still strugglin to think of new chars to do for some more 3d folio stuff

gtgauvin: nice to see you back here. Thanks for your thoughts on my painting stuff and glad you like those particular ones. Still pluggin along with it

Ignominious: thanks man

bumskee: cheers for dropping by my thread man, you're still my number one source of inspiration to keep doing what i'm doing

thanks for all the replies peeps, and zomgwtf is up with the stars!!!??? (i'll try and actually push myself to deserve them a little more, i still suck somethin fierce )
    kind of a mini update, still can't paint my way out of a paper bag but i guess i'll keep trying. The darker, nicer looking one was done building up from my darkest darks first which i'm finding much easier than trying to start with mid-tones as i've seen people do many a time (i can never get the darks in there for some reason). And there's some injured civies for a would be game project. Got the idea off of this sweet thread from prom 'link'.

I really gotta do more 3d stuff as well, as i think i stand a slightly better chance getting into the games industry as a modeller/animator rather than a 2d artist right now (at any level). Still got a year of uni to get through though.

ps: i'm heading up to sydney for a week at the end of january for a short course at julian ashton. Taking fundamentals of life drawing with David Briggs, so i'm really looking forward to it

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Nizza_waaarg; January 3rd, 2008 at 06:19 AM.
    Ninja code forbid me to use door

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

i can haz folio wip: WEBSITE
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    leaving for sydney on saturday so i won't be around for a week or two (but should have heaps to post when i get back )

psyched about going to julian ashton pld:

cheers all

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Hi, really nice sb man, pretty good studies, will be cool to keep an eye here,
    keep up the good work

Thanks
    Nizza, hot damn man. Sorry I've been so neglectful. I really like this latest lady, built up from darks, although her boobs look mondo fake. I imagine that the ref was like this, but either way I'ma still point it out. Keep it up!

Chris

Thanks
    renegade89: thanks

chris: too right about the boobs. i didn't even notice as i was painting them, just realized after i had finished

well, sydney was awsome, pretty humid actually. And Julian Ashtons rocks, there's awsome paintings and drawings all over the walls and a massive amount of plaster casts that you always see people doing long studies of. It's next to impossible to not get inspired to draw over there. And I finally realised the importance of the gesture and is somthing i'll have to draw from life more to get better at. So i'll be back at life drawing sessions once uni starts back up.

my scanner's been dead for a little while now and still no money for a new one ;_;
    But i have been working relentlesly on my 3d stuff latley, hoping to get a cool looking collection of stuff to send out to some local games companies. Did this ogre based off of an illustration by Joy Ang. Drew up some orthos and modelled it all in 2 days and still got it just under 4k polygons. I've decided to do a high poly sculpt in zBrush (the torso is kicking my ass right now) so i'll see how that goes.

Hope to get some sketches up soon, might have to break into the printing lab at uni and make use of their scanners.

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Interesting guy U made there

Thanks
    cheers kidult

I feel so crappy about not posting any 2d stuff in here >_<
    anyway, here's some shots of the high poly sculpt i did. Just finished the uv mapping a little while ago and now i've gotta bake the normals on this guy. Fingers crossed it actually all works for me this time.

got a 3rd year major games project coming up as well. I'll be doing the 3d assests (chars, props, static meshes, etc) and should also be doing some 2d stuff for the initial presentation, including STORYBOARDS!!!! So i'm frantically looking over google and ca.org for more tips (dan milligan rules btw )
    anyone got any tutorials or advice on the subject? it would rock.

cheers all

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Nizza, good stuff here brother. I am a bit envious of your 3d work, I've been trying to teach myself some 3d from the ground up and it's pretty difficult for me. I dunno. Perhaps sometime we can get on Vent or IM and chat about it.
    As for this high poly sculpt, I think you need to go higher. I'm assuming that you're using the high poly for your normals map and if so, why not go a little higher? It's not gonna hurt you polycount and it'll look better. For instance, look at the back of the high poly... still looks pretty plane-ey, jaqqy, aliased or however is the best way to say it. Not smooth, that's what I was looking for. Anyhoo, just a thought.

I hope that you will be posting some results from your project, it sounds very exciting.

Keep it up!

Chris

Thanks
    cheers chris, you just inpired me to post back here. Finished off my ogre a while back (the normal mapping process was painful >_<) but i did learn heaps from it. Just did some fresh renders a couple of days ago in xnormal (finally got a good workflow happening)

Started work on a new sculpt as well (all those anatomy studies are really coming in handy here ) but haven't been able to finish it yet because of uni projects. Just have to remember to redo the armour when i get back to it.

edit: almost forgot, ogre ended up at 3860 triangles, sword chick is at just under 5k right now. Also using 2048 maps for everything right now.

Last edited by Nizza_waaarg; April 17th, 2008 at 03:23 AM.

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    nice work, the last post it's for DW3? (fun concept)

Thanks
    Thanks Towarlock (quick reply) Nah, i'm not sure i'm anywhere near ready for DW just yet (hopefully i'll be good enough for DW4 ). The work some people did this time around is just insane (too much inpiration).

Thought i'd post some of the 2d concept stuff i did at the start of this current uni project (taking them into 3d now). End result will be a short machinima film done in the unreal 3 engine. Still gotta get the ipod fit into the hoodie dude's mouth (it's a commentary about technology or something to that effect ).

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    So.. It was time that I showed up here again ^^
    I'm sorry I've been such a slacker..

So..: Great sketches! I definitely like the anatomy sketches, and also I love that girl you drew, and on which you put some graphite powder? Do you get graphite powder in an art store or do you just scape it off your pencil? The effect is awesome!
    I don't understand much about the 3d stuff, so I'll just say that the proportions look really good to me, and that I *heart* the sword chick, especially her face looks really really nice.
    In your last post: really cool sketches! The girl with the mobile phone on her/as a tanktop looks damn cool ^^ I like the sketch to the right the most. Best contrast I guess? On the 3d guy with the hoodie, and the ipod in his mouth: maybe you could put the hoodie back a little so we can see more of the guys face? I'm not sure if that would take ages or not, because I really don't know shit about 3d modelling.

So summarized: you're doing great ^^ nice studies, lovely girls and cool 3D stuff ^^ I would have some suggestions for other subjects to draw/study, but from what I read you're busy enough already

Love
    Marleen

Thanks
    This is like candy for the eyes! -And I really can't stop eating!

Thanks
    Chris,

on the goblin, I'd be careful with your color(?) maps, it seems as though you're pushing the highlights too much. What's the point of doing an awesome normals map and having all these little bumps and crevices if the lighting is already painted in. You might as well save the trouble and not do the normal map. Or, just paint the color (damn, I can't think of the name right now, I wanna say diffuse but I'm feeling that's wrong... anyway) map more neutral and let the engine light everything. Of course you need some highlights and whatnot, especially if it's for a game, just watch that you don't push them too much.

The cloth on the sword chick falls oddly over her boobs but other than that she's looking hot! Awesome.

Like the stuff for the uni project, is the model of the iPod guy the general level of finish that you're looking for with this project? I know the Unreal engine can handle more. We'll have to chat about UnrealEd sometime too.

Keep it up and I can't wait to see more!

Chris

Thanks
    wow, it has been long since I was here last, and NICE improvement mate.
    The 3D models are very nice, dunno much about that but still, I like what I see.

I would like to see some more figure drawing from you, your 3D anatomy looks very good though.

Take care

Vicious Pineapples
    Come, critique our art and help us grow!

Thanks
    marleen: cheers for stoppin by ^_^
    actually bought some graphite powder a while back and i still like throwin it around (mainly cause i still can't find any toned paper >_<), much fun to erase out highlights. And thanks for the feedback on my recent 3d stuff, made a couple changes to the hoodie dude.

Dannelf: thank you

chris: awsome crits man, yeah the ogre dude was my first character ever, turned out i had the wrong shader on in maya so it was messing up the colours whenever i checked them in 3d. And still not sure wtf is up with sword chick's top, i tried adjusting the normal directions but it still looks a little weird (hoping colour will help). And worked heaps more on that ipod guy; added about 1k more tri's and layed down some proper colours (textures still wip). I keep doing things way to low poly, its really annoying when i end up with 2.5k and ut3 standard is like 10k T_T

Buckster: cheers man. yeah, i been slacking way to much on my 2d figures latley and i gotta stop by your sb again sometime.

and enough of me talking. I really don't wanna forget about my sb right here so i'll update with what i got; it's mini gordon freeman (for a mini comp over at GA.org). Still gotta do his kart (ala mario kart) which will be the buggy from teh first hl2 game. And i got some sketches to scan in, don't know whether i've gotten heaps better or heaps worse

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    your studies are great keep up the good work

Thanks
    phoenicorn: cheers

well some quick sketches i did today. Most of them just from my head, still working on getting some design skills or somthing. Getting back into the anatomy studies and even trying to do some free anatomy sculpts in zbrush (its not as easy as eveyone makes it look)

And i finished off the two characters for that uni project if anyone's interested (except for the textures but i can take my time on those for now, still some normal map tweaks on the businessman)
    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...rrent=08-1.jpg
    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y23...progress02.jpg

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks

Thanks
    DeKal: cheers man

so im in an art slump after finishing that 3rd year uni project ('cept its an art slump mainly for 3d, im back into the sketches and studies once again so thats good i think)

Did a quick pic based off a sketch from marco nelor's sb. normally im not into reff'ing other artists stuff but the design was so freakin cool i wanna have a go at it in 3d. Did the actual drawings and orthos with no ref which is kinda cool, not sure how well my proportions are going tho (and i really half-assed the side view) And some other random scribbles.

edit: arms to long, legs possibly too short (tho it might just be the arms trying to throw me off)

Last edited by Nizza_waaarg; May 25th, 2008 at 11:38 AM.

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    so how's the model coming? i've seen the ortho and now I wanna see what you've got . Keep up the good work dude.

Chris

Thanks
    3D's!!!!!! still no job. Guess i actually need a folio and then i need to contact dudes Studies are just as good (though some cash for a copy of crazy bump and a psp would be nice )

been studying and making sure to actually finish things off. I've been doing sketches here and there and am plannin to get back into life drawing classes asap. I think my high poly sculpting stuff has helped my 2d drawing skills heaps as well which is awsome.

Head took about 2/3 days. NO REF!!!! Started as a box in maya then i just sculpted it out in zbrush (all the kids are doing it nowwadays )

And still trudging along with my sword chick >_<

Just thought i'd come back in and post somthing while hunting around for inspiration pics to start up somthing new.

cheers all

Last edited by Nizza_waaarg; September 5th, 2008 at 04:48 PM.

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    hey man looooong time no see huh??
    nice stuff man...not much a fan of 3d myself and got no knowledge either so cant comment..but liking the sketches...do try to loosen up tho....some gesturals maybe....

Thanks
    bhanu: cheers man

some sketches finally (and a little more 3d, just a bit)
    im kinda in two minds about my 3d atm, dunno if im really going anywhere with it. Was really good to do some sketching just then tho, might've just needed a change of pace from pushing verts around all day.

and im trying to learn enviro art too (modelling/texturing crates and all that )

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    mo sketches. been extra down with the 3d, decided im putting to much pressure all on it so im getting back to why im into art in general and doing some old fasioned sketching (not touching anything 3d until i've got heaps of pages of sketches down )

edit: last bit of 3d for a while head sculpt from just before things went really downhill in terms of progress and all

Last edited by Nizza_waaarg; September 5th, 2008 at 05:11 PM.

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    nice 3d stuff dude! no crits today. keep up the good work!

chris

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 2