Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Nizza sketches -02

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool SB I really like your scratchy style in the first few, very nice
    I predict it wont be long before you get some stars,
    also you have a nice shading style, pretty good tonal separation, nice stuff

It would be cool if you could stop by my SB some time, I would like to hear some tips on shading, and I like your style, so ya I would appreciate it

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chris: cheers mate, actually found some dvd's scott robertson did all about shading so they should be here in the mail any day now

jedininjaman: thanks man, your too kind. very encouraging about my shading work so thanks alot

well, kindof fell in an art slump i think, in two minds about posting this stuff but it's all i've come up with the last couple of days. All done with pen fairly quickly, re-did some of them in ps to get those smooth wacom lines. I kinda feel like anything that isn't strictly figure studies or master studies is gonna be wasting my time as it won't contribute towards the fine arts folio which is due in about 10 more weeks at most Well, hopefully ill be able to pump out some more really nice looking fine arts stuff before too long

and w00t for second page and hitting level 3 -100+ posts (its milestone-tastic)

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Ninja code forbid me to use door

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

i can haz folio wip: WEBSITE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, really great figures, what can u suggest for me to study from? I'd be glad to hear some tips from u.

sujak nx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    throtailer: cheers, gotta post in your sb still

some more prismacolour stuff (all i really work with now)
    head and a corpse, based off a plaster cast of a smugler or something like that, found it in the first chapter of anatomy for the artist, figured it would make good practice

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, these last few updates are looking pretty good. Honestly I'd give you some crits right now but I'm a bit inebriated ATM so I'll have to get back to you. Keep it up and don't follow my example, give us more updates!

Cheers!

Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chris: cheers mate, still waiting for an update out of you

well, i've been getting painfully lazy with my art/updates recently, just lazy in general i suppose. Finally got out to life drawing tonight tho (just got back then, gonna throw up from mcdonalds i just had, any shake other than chocolate = bad >_< ). Also trying to get some drawing out here and there.

Got a meeting with the new head of rmit fine arts drawing this friday morning so hopefully she'll give me some positive feedback as to my capapabilities with regards to the course and give me some help with the folio too ^_^

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thought i'd post this stuff up too, seeing as how my sb is lacking so much digital. I'll be practicing whenever i'm not doing all my drawing stuff. Really been getting into bumskee's painting thread from a while ago.

Some of these are a little older than others but overall they're still fairly recent. The dude with the wierd red costume was actually somthing i got out of doing a series of gestures, just threw a sillouhette and then some basic colours down, still need to figure out how to move on to detailing him. Naked barbarian guy is a bit older, the stroke economy is off i think, not sure.

crits are always welcome

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the kind words!...lightyears? no. you have IT man! nice figure studies. do you draw from life? a lot of these look like they are from photo refs. and tell me you know who burne hogarth is?

http://www.burnehogarth.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hummdrumm: cheers for stoppin by my humble lil sb. I wish i drew from life on most of these but unfortunatley i can just afford one or two life drawing sessions a week, every other week. Awsome call on hogarth too, been having trouble coming to terms with volume and all that stuff and hogarth really gets that across to me, can't believe i forgot to get some proper studies done from him recently.

anyways, after spending the last two/three days sitting around playing video games and all, finally got some drawing done just now and it felt pretty damn good, just hope i get this motivated again tommorow, wanna do some female figures too.

Basically trying to get these casual male poses down, then trying to simplify them and then work out some sillouhettes in ps (prom style, working with limited value range for maximum effect). Really fcked up the second ps sillouhette and they both took me forever compared to the pencil lined ones but, guess i gotta get some more practice in.
    note to self: STUDY LEGS!!!

trying to get these poses down so i can then move on to some basic design stuff like costume and weapons and all that, just for fun.

crits, comments all welcome

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nizza,

nice figure studies man. You are right though, you do need to study legs. the torsos look good but those legs are killing me. now, i can't tell if this is the case, but it seems possible to me that you may be running out of room at the bottom of the paper and trying to shove those legs in anyways. That's not gonna help at all, and I would suggest trying to draw the leg at normal proportions even if you can't get the whole leg in. That or using bigger paper.

Your digis are definitely looking good, you seem to have a good handle on what you're doing and where you're at, talent wise. Keep plugging and trying to improve.

Chris

p.s. I should have another update for you to look at soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some very solid studies in your updates. Nice work.
    Look forward to seeing more.

my sketches here... http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=92997

www.sevans.co.nz , visit them or a puppy dies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chris: cheers man, your right about the legs and the page things (for the most part). Got my anatomy book splayed out on the table waiting for me to get to them legs

SEVANS: thanks bro

well, kinda wading along through this muck of art study >_< Meant to get out alot more today (still a bit of time left). On the up side, i finally got around to doing some serious perspective studies so i can bravley venture into the frightening world of enviro art. Had my don seegmiller book and my wacom lying right here next to me at my desk but still not getting into the digital as much as i really want to >: {

anywhoos, first one was just some weird head i drew outta nothing, second page is based of this model, Luba... something. I'm prolly going to hell for drawing her looking as young as i did (non intentionally) and i think she's actually a bit skinnerier and her boobs are a bit bigger in real life fingers crossed i get onto all the other stuff i really wanna get to early tommorow.

ps: anyone know any solid way of improving drawing generic techno clutter (ie: for asset/prop design or feng-esque enviros?)

Last edited by Nizza_waaarg; August 15th, 2007 at 08:20 AM.

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, absolute nice studies, more.

Riefdy's Sketchbook

Aila's Sketchbook

"I believe in passion & obsession." Hazieq Riefdy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Luba is definitely skinnier with bigger boobs, she's a freak of nature, but she looks pretty young as it is, so I think your soul is okay. I'd like to see you push the values a bit further in your digi paintovers of sketches.

Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    StarbonesCoffin: cheers ; )

chris: your right on about my digi paint overs, whenever im goin straight off of the lines it just ends up that way, all light and too transparent >_<

well, in the spirit of keeping this daily... >_>
    hitting the perspective studies hard, all freehand doing tons of straight line practice (ellipses will be tommorows task), also very gradually easing into more digi painting. Just gotten around to flattening the image, next step would be to paint over and tighten it up i s'pose.

on a worse note, i completley skipped all life drawing this week, was planning to go tue + wed, parents had to take the car out both those days, finally get a chance to drive out there tonight and for whatever reason didn't go
    ...and i think some of the tea i was drinking just got past my epiglotis (sp) and into my lungs, whenever i cough i can taste tea and my chest hurts, kinda freaking me out o_o

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice face! great planes and perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, awesome sketchbook. i like the life drawing sketches u have. pretty neat. also, u have better skills in digital painting than me. haha again, hands down to you.

"Time is the currency of Life; spend it wisely"
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100548

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad to see you are doing the studies (lord knows I need to do more). On the "young chick" piece, the render looks a little slim just above the waist. I think her ribcage is a little narrow at the top and should curve in instead of dropping straigh down, though I am not entirely sure. Her hips just seem very abrupt. Her arms are impecible though as well as her torso. Good work on the shading!

"Oh my God who is flying this thing! ......... Right, that would be me." ~Wash

DeviantArt - Sketchbook - Concept Art.org Porfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hummdrumm: cheers

the lying prophet: thanks, you know i can't hold a candle to you man, i still got ages to go

masterpug: good eye, you're definitley right about the rib cage, something to keep in mind next time im drawing that skinny chick

thanks to everyone for the feedback, it actually got me inspired to do some real drawing today
    i've been hitting the perspective studies even harder, laying out basic perspective grids in 2 and 3 points, laying down basic boxes and trying to understand shot composition a bit better. Really hoping i have something to show for it in a day or two. Also been getting into the tech/weapon/mech designs.

just got this drawing i whipped up just then, i like how the lighting turned out at least, should've pushed the values more i think, or just tightened it up in general.

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Umm, more.I can't draw women well.Grr, jelous**

Riefdy's Sketchbook

Aila's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    StarbonesCoffin: cheers mate

UPDATESORZZZZ!!!!!111eleven

well, got some crappy enviros with some even crappier values slapped over them. Also got this apple out, going for it with that hardcore, mechanical pencil cross-hatching shading style ('cept mine looks like shite T_T) rather than that girly side pencil shading

hoping to get more done today, more perspective studies and hopefully some cool tech stuff *heads out to take apart car's engine*

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!!
    Now it's finally time for me to stop slacking and friggin post in this great thread
    I'm sorry it's been so long hihi ^^

Last update looks great, I love the enviros so far. On the values I think something to think about is that making the things further away a bit lighter than the things close by, can be a great trick to suggest space. So you might want to try that out. Anyways, take a look at an image from Teh Gosu, and a little tut to see what you could improve on the shading of planes. At the moment you use quite a lot of different values in one plane. That doesn't make the form very readable. What would be better is to fill the planes with the value that seems fit, and then bring some minor adjustments in value on the places where that seems fit.

On your previous posts: your lines are looking good, but you could try to have them a bit more fluent sometimes. Also something to try out could be using a softer pencil to make the form a bit more readable in places, and it makes it easy to vary the lineweight.
    On the shading in photoshop; to me it looks like it's quite often a bit too dark for the skintones you want to use, and some highlights would improve it drastically. Nevertheless I must say the shading does look really good, and pretty nice and smooth.

I'm sorry, I don't know much about feng-esque enviros and techno clutter. So you'll probably have to look for some stuff around the web. But I guess taking apart a car engine would be a good start

Well, keep it up! And don't forget to do some stuff from mind along with the studies.

Love
    Marleen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Marleen: thank you heaps for that awsome feedback, those tutorials are excellent. and you're definitley right, i should get some stuff out of my head more, got studies coming out my ears right now >_< still gotta get onto a softer pencil

so i had a shot at painter. I've always been all about photoshop but painter is certainly interesting to work with. Also got to try out temperature with colour (cold highlights, warm shadows) so that was fun. My messed up attempt at keeping a consistent value range on some fancy perspective boxes and also a quick leg study (rediscovered how awsome loomis is ).
    Got some cool ideas for characters while breifly browsing cgtalk forums and its got me wanting to go through the whole process (character concepts - illo - orthos - 3d model), though i've always sucked at texture painting, ill see how i do with some more creative stuff, and i can finally get back into the 3d too

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Umm ! Super comment, by Marleen. :X I can't do that, but i can do compliment only Nice studies, go go go Warrrg !

Riefdy's Sketchbook

Aila's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    StarbonesCoffin: cheers, always encouraging

well, been getting back to the fundamentals recently, going over loomis. I'll see if i get any cool loomis stuff done, rather than more mundane repetitive studies. Though recently its been like for every 1hr spent drawing, there's 10+ i've spent wasting time playing computer games or just lying about

so just this mini update for now. head, no ref, just some fun little creative thing i drew up. Tried painting in painter with it but no luck yet, gotta keep at that too -_-

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    updated!!!1 realizing there's no way im gonna be able to do this self teaching thing as i can barely motivate myself to do 2hrs drawing a day (let alone 8+), im saving up cash so i can move out to sydney and go to julian ashton or somthing due to the massive number of absolute shit art courses we got down here (despite melbourne supposedly being all about the arts and that...). Ill be working part time at target or somthing (due to how easy i can get a job there) while finishing off my current course, get a 7-10yr old car for around $6-8k, drive up a bit, get a crap place somewhere kinda near the city but not to close (not made of money >_< ), then get mad art skills (yes i know i gotta put in my own effort as well for getting better)

and i have so little to show for the last few days, and i hate painting so much

anyways, got my first proper clothed figure out and I managed to get a hold of this really great architecture book for cheap down at a local bookstore (saw it in borders once ages ago for about $60), great practice for perspective and stuff: link

cheers all

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, instead of getting a car, get a motorcycle. I just bought one for cheap ($7.5k) and they get great gas mileage. That was a brand new one too, you could get an older one for cheap as dirt.

But anyhoo, you're making me want to do figure and perspective studies over here. Good work plugging at it. Keep it up with Painter if you can, it's a fun program once you figure it out a bit.
    Also, show us some more stuff from your head, that's the fun stuff.

Keep it up,
    Chris

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I totally agree with Melbourne's crappy art courses >_> In fact I'm actually thinking about moving to Sydney too.

Anyhows, you have some great stuff, I like your use of colour. Just a note with your pencil renderings, some of them could do with a little more blending, try to build up the shading in layers so that you get a smoother result.

Keep up the great work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chris: cheers bro. good idea about the bike, talked to my dad about it (he used to ride one everywhere back in his 20's), basically... i think he'd prefer me to get a car... or else he'll kill me he's mad worried about how dangerous it is to ride one around these days, especially around cities due to drivers generally having very little regard for 'em. Still, doesn't mean i aint considering due to how cheap you can get one and the gas costs (and they're cool )

Kroevyn: great to see i aint the only one who feels that way. Think sydney's definitley holding all the good art schools. And you're right about the pencil shading. I think i actually tell others to build up in layers but keep f'king it up myself

anyways, here's a really crappy update (i swear i'll draw a billion times more tommorow). Took the last 2 days off due to un-productivness. Got my target application in, also got serious about learning mma. Starting with boxing for all the conditioning, then moving on to mhuay tai kickboxing, then top it off with some brazilian jiu jitsu. My wrists are now constantly hurting, and my knuckles are following suit

all from my head btw ('cept genki sudo down the bottom right there, that guys crazy)

NEW SKETCHBOOK!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, a small update is still an update and this one looks pretty good. Not much to crit, maybe try some more confident lines.

Well, I know how you're dad feels about a bike, they do tend to be dangerous, but perhaps he forgot how it is to be young and headstrong and throw caution to the wind?
    Hey, MMA is such a great sport, and growing rapidly. Do you guys get UFC broadcasts over there in AUS? How about Pride Fighting? anyhoo, there's a whole bunch of local MMA clubs around my area and I've been meaning to get involved but life takes over fast.

Anyhoo, show us more!

Chris

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1