Art: How did you study Anatomy?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following

How did you study Anatomy?

As concept artists we are all faced with very similar milestones. One such milestone I wish to discuss is the teaching and learning of Anatomy.

Many have their own personal opinions on what does and does not work. This is what i wish to hear. What are your processors in studying? WHO do you study from? Books? DVD's? Life Drawing? This is what i wish to know.

As for myself, I have ventured in almost all ways to learn the difficult subject, from books to dvd's and to life drawing. I have not done life drawing for ages, not because i wish not to, but because there simply is none in my region. For books I use about 6 books from Hogarth; Hands to dynamic figures to the head, and then various well known authors such as Bridgman and Barcsay. With the DVD's I have gone through all 170+ clips from the structure of man, and also watched some of the teachings from Gnomon; which are limited for anatomy studies.

With all these and months of practicing and changing schemes to see what works best for studying, I finally feel like i need to see how others study. I have looked into sketchbooks of CURRENT students who study, but what of the Professionals? How did you study and master anatomy to some extent?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's how we did it at Watts...I doubt it's changed...it works well.

Study out of Bridgeman and Peck's "Atlas of Anatomy." Also snag Eliot Goldfinger's "Human Anatomy For Artists." You need to do studies from those books, and also work from life at the same time. This will solidify the academic understanding. While you're drawing from life... try to find the same interlocking shapes and forms Bridgeman talks about. It's doubtful they will be as obvious on a live model, and that is key to really understanding how they work in real life.

If you understand the academic aspect and where everything interlocks and how it all functions... and can then locate specific landmarks on your model that will build a really solid foundation. The next step is...for the landmarks you cannot find, is putting them in subtle-ly because you know they exist. This can change the model type if you're not careful though.

Working from Hogarth is do-able, but most of his stuff is based on drawing from an imaginative sense instead of reality. Which is great for concepting, but not for learning fundamentals.

Use Bridgeman's Constructive Anatomy and Human Machine. Copy his drawings, cross reference them with Peck & Goldfingers books so you know what it is your drawing. Get some body building magazines. Draw the people in it...identify the muscles and how things are active and inactive. Cross those with your two other academic books. Then, do it with live models.

Vilppu is also a good guy to look at for Anatomy.

EDIT: Forgot this part...

To master it you may want to build an anatomical maquette of the human form. Skeletal structure first, then layer by layer add the musculature. Watts has a class on it that takes 20 weeks every so often.

Last edited by TheYellowDart; June 23rd, 2007 at 03:28 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    That sounds sound. As for life drawing, I myself have the chance in September, but my schedule is kind of booked, so no live drawing. I might survive

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Also how would you rate getting this book instead of mags?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Body-Builder...2624127&sr=1-4

High quality photographics might be better than the mag versions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that book would definitely work. You basically just need some sort of reference of actual people with exaggerated musculature...which, lol, that book shows off.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.