Art: Gesture Drawing

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Gesture Drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gesture Drawing

Do you guys do gesture drawing? Did it help your art? I am trying this but can only get squiggly lines or stick figures on paper, especially if the subjects move fast (such as in a basketball game). How does one improve on this?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kumagoro_beam View Post
    Do you guys do gesture drawing? Did it help your art? I am trying this but can only get squiggly lines or stick figures on paper, especially if the subjects move fast (such as in a basketball game). How does one improve on this?
    Try to make a quick mental snapshot, then draw out one line really quickly that "defines" that snapshot. Don't spend more than 30 seconds on any (and that's really the max). There are many schools of thought, but try something easier, like a dog or a rock, but try to keep your times down. Once you can get decent definition, start on moving objects (fast or slow, it shouldn't matter). Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, and yes.

You could try practicing by doing gesture drawings of non-moving subjects.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use Posemaniacs.com. They have a 30 second pose mode that's very useful. If you're new like I am, I think starting at slightly longer duration would help with understanding the tool of gesture itself, before going faster.

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input, guys.

I was thinking, look up sports videos on YouTube, pause them, and draw. But I wasn't sure if that's too much of a crutch - if I don't draw things "real time," I might never train my eye to capture that good first impression.

I will look into Posemaniacs.com.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Most gesture drawings are not done from moving figures, this is a very advanced dicipline. I would recommend getting into life drawing classes where the model takes poses anywhere from 30 sec to 5 min. And yes it is very helpful and improved my artwork greatly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by E.M.GIST View Post
    Most gesture drawings are not done from moving figures, this is a very advanced dicipline. I would recommend getting into life drawing classes where the model takes poses anywhere from 30 sec to 5 min. And yes it is very helpful and improved my artwork greatly
    absolutely. Start with static drawings, then move on to the moving figures/objects which depend on your ability to draw static objects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks.

Yeah, I've been drawing from static pictures (pause the YouTube videos), and it's helpful.

I'm gonna sign up for life drawing class after I finish my PhD, hopefully this fall. (Studying electrical engineering right now, but I really want to be an animator).

Members who have read this thread: 3