Sketchbook: ccsears sketchbook - Page 69
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: i'm thinking about teaching drawing somewhere in LA, what do you think

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • interested and live in LA area

2 28.57%
  • NOT interested and live in LA

0 0%
  • hypothetically would be interested but live outside LA area

4 57.14%
  • hypothetically would NOT be interested and live outside LA

1 14.29%
Page 69 of 89 FirstFirst ... 19 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,070 of 2647

Thread: ccsears sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work, and very diverse as well.

I enjoy seeing your progress on the sculpture (as well as the sumo wrestling and the Stella Artois that's accompanying it )

"Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city."
    Sketchbook】【Blog】【Portfolio
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one of the great sketchbooks here.. coz of the varity of the subjects... i love the ink work.. sculptures... digital art... zbrush.. beautiful.. amazing work

i love to do everything and learn everything... i hate to be cornered in one place.. i believe u can be anything u want... Your mind is limitless... check out my sketchbook ... u will find a bit of everything

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=203429

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These models look nice, I especially like the clay one.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    just a doodle. goofing around with rendering.

Name:  eye-1.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  202.1 KB

surus Thanks!

whisper_wm Yeah, I have a weakness for Stella. and Sumo.
    in fact, they had a special on NHK where this really cute school nurse in Tottori joined the high school's Sumo Club to help train the one female wrestler. Turns out the female student took first place in the National Competition as a heavyweight, and the school nurse took 3rd in Nationals as a lightweight. That school nurse is super-cute.

if you can read japanese, you can kind of read about it here:
    http://www.nhk.or.jp/questa/back_number/20110203.html

i can't find a video of it though. she's much cuter than in these small photos.

Rain Walker Thanks!

Teundeboer Thanks man!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, amazing sketchbook, gonna have to put aside an hour and go thru every page. Beautiful stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    yeah superslick stuff
    amazing white chalk on blue cansen drawings... i have to try that out...
    i really like the water elephant too. he looks like a pensioner kthulu
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...7&d=1266042040

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't read Japanese to save my life, so I threw the site in babelfish, and... well... apparently babelfish can't read Japanese either, cause the English version was unreadable as well. I took a look at her picture though, and have to say she looks cute, definitely for a sumo wrestler. Now, I don't know much about sumo, but in my world sumo wrestlers are colossal lumps of fat wearing thongs, not cute little smiling school nurses. Interesting sport to say the least.

Stella is a personal weakness of mine as well. My girlfriend used to study in the city where it originated from, telling me about how in the summer, if the wind was blowing just right, the smell of hop would envelop the city. Sounds like a mystical place to me, though I've heard some people think hop just smells like dirty socks.

"Better a patient man than a warrior, a man who controls his temper than one who takes a city."
    Sketchbook】【Blog】【Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's been a long day. woke up at 5am to take my mom to the airport, went to work at 7am, drew a SpiderMan Villain all day until 5:30 pm, ate dinner, spent two hours failing to comprehend how shadowbox and clip brushes work in zbrush, blah blah blah

Name:  20110213_HardSurfPractice.jpg
Views: 2010
Size:  47.8 KB

then i looked at Mateja's SB here and was pretty inspired. most of the stuff i do at work is pretty cleanly and carefully rendered, and it usually progresses from line art to grayscale to color pass. there's some gesture and thumbnail stuff, but the finish is usually not too painterly. anyway, i thought Mateja's SB was cool, so i spent ten minutes using a brush i would never use at work and just f'ing around completely with the colors. nothing great, but it was good to just cut loose for a few minutes.

Name:  20110213_quicksketch.jpg
Views: 2003
Size:  181.7 KB

Lightpunk there's a lot of bullshit mixed in with the few decent things in my thread. caveat emptor! and thanks!

Velocity_Kendall yeah, i've got a lovecraft jones going on. i read all his collected short stories about 3 years ago. cthulu is badass. that was my first dabbling in graphite in a long time.

whisper_wm there's not a whole lot to translate on that page about her anyway. mostly it's just blurbs and captions saying what i already said. she had a cool voice on tv too--not the usual squeaky cutesy crap.

beer is now prohibited for me for the time being. i've got some health issues to straighten out after that last allergic reaction and all the f'ed up medicine i was taking.

i've got no idea what hops smells like. i visited a kirin beer brewery in japan when i was an engineering exchange student in 1996, i mostly remember raw hops smelling like pine trees, i think.

anyway, cheers man! have one for me.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, glad you stop by and found some inspiration in my sb. I like your head practice. Like you said whole point was to play loose with colors and to get wild with brushes.

Cheers, i'll hang out to see what you did these days
    edit: insane amount of quality work, hats off sir, love how you did catwoman, and those drawings are insane

M

oh and take a look at this thread, is this same company that screw you up??!! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=209602

Last edited by meth; February 14th, 2011 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks M,

Yeah, Shanda is the company that screwed me over. Although my "so-called friends" who ran their own small 3D studio also screwed me over. Basically, shit flows down the river and I'm at the end of it. I know I've spent too much time bitching about it already over the past year or so. But here is th

1)Shanda calls Studio X and asks for it to submit a proposal for its game trailer. They offer Studio X 3000$ for our services

2)Studio X asks me to storyboard the whole thing. And since nobody had any ideas for the script, I wound up writing the game trailer too.

3)Shanda likes our proposal and asks for revisions. Studio X doesn't ask for any more money.

4)I go through 4 sets of storyboards, something like 300 frames total. Allegedly, we beat 4 other companies who also had proposals. I sleep at Studio X to make the deadlines. I take over the entire creative discussion with China because my friends can't write worth a damn. In the middle of all of this, I sit down and tell my friends that I'm not doing this for free and that they need to get the money worked out.

5) To try to seal the deal, we fly to China. Studio X pays for my passport and flight. I pay for my own hotel in Shanghai.

6) The president of Shanda is mysteriously "sick" and unavailable to meet with us. Instead, we see a business manager who isn't authorized to make any decisions on his own.

7) The creative discussion goes well. I pull out 3x5 cards and we re-storyboard everything on the conference room table in a 14 hour jam session. We point at the cards and get our Chinese counterparts to make comments and rearrange them. I wind up translating some of the technical terms that they write on the whiteboard because I can read Japanese.

8)Creative discussion is sealed. everybody shakes hands. But we have no business contract when we leave China

9) Time goes by. Studio X and Shanda can't reach an agreement on money and schedule.

10) Shanda puts the whole thing on hold indefinitely.

11) I finally get paid the 3000 dollars initially offered. Although Studio X was very reluctant to give it to me.

12) I submit a bill for my services. Something like 300 hours of work, including weekends and overnight stuff. Comes out to something like $18k

13) Studio X starts ignoring me. Meanwhile, Studio X is also using other artwork of mine--which they haven't paid for either--to solicit more work.

14) More time goes by--like a whole fucking year. Studio X asks me to lower my costs down to 10k. So I agree. They still don't pay me.

15) Miracles, how do they work? I see my storyboards come to life as Shanda's brand new cinematic. Probably animated and modeled by some other Shanghai company.

16) More time goes by. I tell them they need to start paying me or else...

17) They pay me about 3 monthly installments of 500$ to try to get me to agree to work on yet another storyboarding project--6 cinematic scenes from Activision's upcoming Apache gunship videogame.

18) I get paid on time for the Activision gig, but as soon as it's over, Studio X stops paying anything for the Shanda account.

19) and here we are today. They still owe me money. I had to remove all my artwork from Studio X's studio so they stopped using it to solicit clients around LA.

TL; DR
    1) Shanda screws "studio x"--> Studio X screws me.

PS. one of the co-owners at Studio X screwed over a friend of mine (an art model and actress in LA). So it goes beyond tough times and a hard economy--some people are just 100% dickheads.

PPS. If you are a freelance 3DS MAX artist and you get asked to do something in the SF Valley near Sherman Oaks, send me a PM here first. I don't want you to get screwed over by these guys.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,803 Times in 941 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, this is sick, i think you should post this as a new thread somewhere in lounge, this should be a sticky for all artist to see so that all of us be more careful!!!!

Thanks for info

M

15. The Following User Says Thank You to meth For This Useful Post:

h.k

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more zbrush practice tonight. i took a deep breath and signed up for the year pass to zbrushworkshops.com--ryan kinglien's site. this time i'm trying to practice with trim adaptive, trim dynamic and h.polish to try to establish planes and hard surfaces.

Name:  20110214_HardSurfPractice.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  315.5 KB

Mateja No problem, I don't like talking about it that much anymore because i figure people are bored with my bitching. still, doing 18k worth of work and getting paid maybe 5k a year and a half late while your bank account suffers and taxes are due... yeah, i'm still a little pissed off.

who knows, maybe the video turned out better than if they had done the 3d work here at "studio x." i'm sure it was cheaper, no doubt about that. but even if that's the case, it was really dishonest to misrepresent everything and just take our ideas as their own. as 3D production skills become more universal, original ideas become more valuable. these guys completely failed to realize that in every business deal they had with me, so i left and moved on.

who knows how it will all play out in the end? i think the right attitude is to leave that shit to fate and just trust that if i keep working hard something good will eventually happen.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also, anybody know where i should start a community thread like that on CA? i have a bad feeling it would turn into a huge bitch session where anyone who was ever harshly critiqued or laid off would go to complain.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for that heads up on the inside. sorry you have to deal with this and I wish there was a central community of artists that united together and dealt with clients through trusted sources. then we would all be happy and produce more work that actually is appreciated and that us artists actually want to do. i have a couple clients that still haven't paid for several months and it's frustrating for me to have to take the initiative to get what i deserve.

hope all else works out and don't get discouraged. keep pushing and soon enough those who spat on you will regret it in the end.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chris, 3d World Magazine has a feature on ZBrush sculpting with Scott Spencer, another traditional sculptor that uses ZB. He uses the clip brushes extensively in this video, thought you might like it.

The article starts here, or you can go straight to youtube.

bart

Clochette: Talent is the ability to work your ass off, you fool. You're right not everyone has it. Some people rather waste time in stoopid argument and trolling.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to bartdeco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey chris, it's been a while since i dropped in here. nothing personal, just been out of all forums for some time to clear my head and it seems it did me good.

saw all your latest work and i love it. i'm really glad you're pushing through the media and trying to take on many different stuff. it's gonna do you a great deal of good, believe me.

sorry to hear about that company screwing you off, i've had that happen to me back in the day alot, especially when it was big money. just file your paperwork correctly and screw them back, that's what i did a couple of times.

I really hope your life turns around already, goddammit you've been having a rough time since i first met you (is it a year now?). I hope to hear you're doing well and i still wait anxiously for a 3-man beer marathon with you and Bhanu. I'm buying the first round.

yours sincerely, from the basement,
    me

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sickbrush For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hell yeah mad sketchbook thread yo!!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to tronrobot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice zBrush work!
    I thought about to learn sculpting too. It gives you a better sense for 3D forms, or am i wrong? ^^
    Anyway, nice work!

Keep it up!

Sil

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsears View Post
    6) The president of Shanda is mysteriously "sick" and unavailable to meet with us. Instead, we see a business manager who isn't authorized to make any decisions on his own.
    Sounds familar to me...
    ever heard of "stratagems"? They use them like an alpha strategy for achieving their own (business) goals. E.g.: You meet a group of people like a delegation. You tell them all and invest hours. Unfortunately they're the wrong group and can't make a deal or decision...
    Watch out for "Harro von Senger"'s books on stratagem theory to understand more.

Good luck with your costs. Engage a lawyer and pay him by results. Better than saying goodbye to ALL the money!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to surus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another very long day. i'm still freelancing on top of the regular job. had zbrush class again this morning and then went to kevin chen's school for a workshop with khang le.

then came home and worked on this. it's a work in progress, and it's practice for something else too.

Name:  ZBrush Document.jpg
Views: 1621
Size:  111.1 KB

MattGamer--thanks man, i know exactly what you mean.

my current theory of careers goes something like this. there are three strategies: 1) make friends, 2) be strategic (could be cunning or could be clever...strategic is the neutral way to put it), 3)be good at what you do. they wind up being like rock, paper, scissors--no one strategy dominates and wins every single time, and which one wins depends on the context. for example, if you're good at what you do but you have no friends, it will be difficult for you to find an opportunity to use your skills. if you have friends but aren't good at what you do, you'll never get an honest critique of your work so you can improve.

like everything in life, the grass is always greener on the other side. but, in times like these it is really important to be very good at what you do. once all your friends are out of their jobs, it's every man/woman for him/herself, and nobody will risk hiring someone who's just "okay" at what they do.

these guys have chosen their path (to be cunning); i have chosen mine. when they finally figure out that they've burned all their bridges with their friends and clients and that they do not have all the skills they need, i will have been gone a long while. and it's not like i didn't warn them.

but i'm glad there is a forum like this to bitch and moan. it's an exciting time to be an artist or work in the industry. things are changing, limitations are disappearing, and everything is happening at once. for as pessimistic as i usually am, i'm actually glad to have a shot at riding this wave.

bartdeco--thanks dude! i've watched a little bit at work, but i'm going to watch the rest soon. cheers man!

Sickbrush--hey c, thanks! i dropped by your SB the other day. things aren't that bad, i've survived my mystery illness and my mom survived her surgery and my 93-year-old grandma survived her emergency pacemaker. so i'll take the bad luck in everything else as long as that stuff goes well.

someday we'll have to skype. we're all probably 8 hours apart from each other so that might be kind of cool.

tronrobot thanks!

silwynar--it does help you understand form better, but it's a tricky thing to explain. i think sculpting traditionally helps more than zbrush if you're just starting out though just because zbrush is too fast and it's too easy to do something symmetric. if you sculpt with real clay, you'll learn to observe certain things very carefully. zbrush is better for your creativity just because you're not limited by what you can build at home, but you won't be able to do it correctly unless you've developed an eye for certain things--gesture, rhythm, looking at the tangents of forms, the interior and exterior shapes, etc.

surus--i knew this was happening while it was going on. but as the artist hired by the small american studio, i had no say in the business negotiations at all. i nailed the creative part and reached that agreement with them, but my idiot "friends" either couldn't get their shit together or were out of their league or got fooled.

i can't afford a lawyer. these guys owe me about 5k. maybe they'll pay some more of it, maybe not. the amount of effort and bullshit it would require to pursue litigation in Los Angeles is not worth it. i.e. i could get a pay raise just by spending all the time i would have spent with a lawyer learning zbrush instead.

it's true there are times when you need to fight though. but i've made my decision on this one--better to move on. as westermoe always said--there is no justice, there is no equality, there is no fairness. trying to make great art is all there is.

i'm gonna look up that book just in case though.

**PS alright guys, thanks! sorry i'm not posting as much as i used to, but it's just been a neverending stream of work and classes and things i can't display. when GG releases the products, etc. i'll try to put up the artwork. i think there's some stuff you'd enjoy or that we could share a laugh about. spiderman and star wars and all kinds of stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chris,

Are you using a digital tablet or simply your mouse for the ZBrush heads?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey tony00,

im using a wacom intuos 4 on my laptop. for painting, i tend to use my tiny 12wx cintiq, but for zbrush, the screen size isnt large enough so i use my laptop instead. there are times i use my mouse, but thats mostly for "free transform" stuff in photoshop. if i get to take a maya class, i'll probably be using the mouse a lot more.

also, if anyone's interested, i'm going to take nathan fowkes' portrait painting in watecolor class at laafa.org starting in april.

ccs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! You mentioned the screen size. Do you have any recommendation? Many people tend to prefer small tablets (the larger ones can be exhausting). Do you feel the same?

Ah cool for Nathan's class! At least something you can post every week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    either the medium or the large would be good as far as a tablet goes. the small is 4x6" working area, which is fine for blocking out, but would become a pain for doing detail work unless you zoom in a lot. medium is 5x8, large is 8x12 or so. in my opinion, you want enough to draw from the fingers, wrist and elbow. i use the medium one. with the buttons, etc, it's roughly the same footprint as a 17" laptop, which works nice for transportation.

if you're drawing from the shoulder, it's probably too big for production type work. i can do that when drawing traditionally from life with charcoal or something, but it doesn't work well for me on digital stuff. the xlarge is like drawing at a 1:1 ratio...it's kind of weird.

that said, if you can afford the full size cintiq, that would be fun to use. i could only afford the 12" cintiq so that's fine for me. someday i want to get the large one and one of those mechanical arms to mount it on. it's pretty sweet.

yeah, i have a month to wait before nathan's class, but i'm really stoked about it. maybe i will finally have a breakthrough and understand the damn medium this time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!
    I really like your zBrush work.
    I would like to start using zBrush too.
    A friend gave it to me *nothing to say anymore...* and i would like to learn some basics.
    Would be great to learn 3D forms better.
    Can you suggest any tutorial?

Greetings Sil!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    silwynar--my zbrush work is still amateur-level, but it's a lot of fun. i highly recommend checking out this website: www.zbrushworkshops.com. i went ahead and dropped 300$ for 1-year access to all the workshops, but they have "live" online classes too.

if you're budget is tight, i still think their intro-to-zbrush workshop is really good for beginners. it'll probably cost you about 120-130$, i think. the guy who runs the site and teaches the workshops is Ryan Kinglien. he's really great--the guy who pixologic hired to develop all their training, etc.

if you take the workshops or classes, you can post photos in the forums, and ryan and other instructors will come around and critique or answer technical questions (within reason of course).

there are other free tutorials and workshops over at zbrushcentral.com too. also worth checking out.

i think sculpting traditionally will also help improve your zbrush skills. even if your budget is tight, you can get a 4lbs of clay for 15$, stick it on a pipe screwed into a chunk of wood and you can sculpt heads over and over again. or use sculpey or whatever.

even though zbrush is fast, i think you need to sculpt at least a little traditionally to develop the good habits you need to see form clearly. i've seen a lot of digital models that have great digital detail, but poor overall form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ART FOR JAPAN SHOW AT GALLERY NUCLEUS

If you're working in the industry or you're in california, please check it out, donate 10$ at the door or contribute art for the show!

I don't know whether my art will be accepted for the show/auction or whether i'll try to do giclees or originals. if it is, i will post info here.

as soon as i get paid for the last gig, i'll be donating directly to the japanese red cross or maybe one of the japanese relief agencies if i can find a way to transfer funds there. i'll need to do research on it and ask some friends. i'll post anything i find here too.

and then after that, i might have one or two more ideas up my sleeve.

/sorry for not posting for so long. been freelancing a lot. will at least have something in the beginning of april.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Word. Any help is greatly appreciated by everybody and next to directly donating to the red cross this is a great way to contribute as an artist.
    Thanks in helping and sharing links Chris, as you know it's been challenging to get good on-point information out there.

Cheers..

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    if you speak Japanese, please help us translate this user manual for crisis mapping software that will be used to collect and manage data in Japan. (this was sent to me by my former roommate, a doctor and professor at Harvard who has previously volunteered in Haiti, etc.)

http://blog.ushahidi.com/index.php/2011/03/16/crisis-mapping-japans-earthquake-and-how-you-can-help/

it's google documents that you can translate by paragraph.

おねがいします!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took yesterday off from work to help translate the instruction manual for this software being used by crisis management volunteers in japan. the collaboration via google documents was f'ing amazing! so fast! a rough version of the software is up and running:

http://www.sinsai.info/ushahidi/main

please keep the people in japan in your thoughts. if you can find a way to help out, do it!

昨日、仕事を休むことにして、この緊急情報ソフトの一部を日本語に訳した。被災地の管理者たちに役立つよう に願っています。
    http://www.sinsai.info/ushahidi/main

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Page 69 of 89 FirstFirst ... 19 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 158