Sketchbook: ccsears sketchbook - Page 63
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: i'm thinking about teaching drawing somewhere in LA, what do you think

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • interested and live in LA area

2 28.57%
  • NOT interested and live in LA

0 0%
  • hypothetically would be interested but live outside LA area

4 57.14%
  • hypothetically would NOT be interested and live outside LA

1 14.29%
Page 63 of 89 FirstFirst ... 13 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,890 of 2647

Thread: ccsears sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    marker experiments...trying to figure out my approach and how the ink handles on marker paper.

Name:  DSCN3729.jpg
Views: 3149
Size:  311.3 KB

bhanu--thanks man.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man these five figure paintings are awesome!

May Strength Be Kind and Courage Gentle
    Princes of the Universe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are such a atlented person.

I admire all that hard work and heart put into drawing over all those years.
    Wish you best luck Chris, i'd apreciate if you can drop by and give some hints
    to a weakling like myself

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff as usual. I especially like those acrylic figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those markers are coming along nicely. Looking forward to seeing where you take them.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    acrylic stuff in the moleskine tonight. not too happy with it but practice makes perfect. used tube acrylics this time instead of the little jar soft ones.

the first one is limited palette--yellow ochre, burnt sienna, ultramarine, white.
    the second one added some cad red light.
    Name:  DSCN3730.JPG
Views: 2832
Size:  244.7 KB
    Name:  DSCN3732.JPG
Views: 2817
Size:  141.4 KB

Just Call Me Bruce Thanks man!
    Icecold Thanks! I tried to do a quick paintover on one of your sketches earlier on today. Just some general advice to try to help.
    Soumeng Thanks!
    Traveler Thanks! I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them right now. I haven't really developed a personal approach that makes sense yet for certain things--especially soft edges or gradients. I can do them if I'm working very carefully, but it kind of kills the spontaneity of the sketch. i'll see what i can do...

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Acrylics in the moleskine are lookin fine Chris!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really awesome sketchbook !
    u r a great artist.

btw, the first page is my fav 'cause there is so much cool stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry for not posting. i've been very busy and now i'm almost exhausted. storyboards on an activision game, finishing the presentation art for a movie pitch, weekend work on a comp sketch for another movie, 1-hour deadline for revising someone else's comp sketch with 4 variations of hands and props.

and then an interview with Gentle Giant, i think they're giving me a 2-week trial as a 2D artist starting next week sometime. and then a call for possible production artwork on another comedy.

i just hope i get paid and survive all of it. but for now i'm pretty happy.

more acrylics in the moleskine.

Name:  DSCN3739.JPG
Views: 2459
Size:  129.9 KB
    Name:  DSCN3737.JPG
Views: 2458
Size:  94.1 KB
    Name:  DSCN3736.JPG
Views: 2456
Size:  286.3 KB
    Name:  DSCN3738.JPG
Views: 2434
Size:  101.8 KB

VictorB, HK--Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    screwing around with acrylics sunday morning.
    Name:  DSCN3740w.jpg
Views: 2392
Size:  272.9 KB

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stunning ! I especially like the last head study. It's Brilliant!

Chris, I was reading some of your previous posts where you explain a very crucial concept : grouping of shapes. I followed your advice of tracing photographs and making conscious decisions ( what is in shadow and what is in the light) to obtain the simplest statement. It's such a revelation!

After all these years of practicing and digging into books and discussing with mentors, could you list your top 10 drawing books covering construction/tone/edges ( I guess Loomis should be up there). I am especially interested in having your opinion on good books related to grouping/shading. Many thanks,

Tony

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Tony,

Creative Illustration by Andrew Loomis
    Figure Drawing for All It's Worth by Andrew Loomis
    Drawing Heads and Hands by Andrew Loomis
    The Human Figure by John H. Vanderpoel
    Bridgman's Complete Life Drawing by George Bridgman

Henry Yan's book. don't have the title with me right now. I didn't really learn so much from it, but more like i reflected upon what i learned from other people and compared it to his approach. but i think it's a very good book.

That's really about all you need for figure drawing instructional stuff. Everything else I've learned directly from my teachers.

From the looks of things, Michael Hampton's book seems like it summarizes a lot of information from various sources in Southern California:
    http://www.amazon.com/Figure-Drawing.../dp/0615272819
    i've only browsed through the book, but i can tell just by looking some of the people he must have studied under. good teachers from down here.

these are supplementary:
    Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head by William Maughan
    Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Peck (one of my favorite anatomy books, and it's really cheap too)
    Artistic Anatomy by Goldfinger (doesn't really help with drawing at all in some ways, but a useful reference)
    Harley Brown's Eternal Truths for Every Artist by Harley Brown (a fun book but maybe more for painting than drawing)

Charles Bargue's complete drawing course is useful for practicing, but we all know how anti-sight-size drawing i can be.

Hollywood Glamour Portraits
    Hollywood Glamour Portraits of the 1950's
    these are useful b/w photos for practicing head drawing.

www.atomicpinup.com if you want more female heads to draw, both b/w and color.

and, based on my personal tastes, i'd pick up a book on Mucha and the new J. C. Leyendecker book. From my point of view, these two artists are the definitive masters of what i would call modern figure drawing. anime, manga, graffiti, etc. all kind of trace that kind of shape design and line control to those two. want to design your shapes? those two guys nailed it.

i like the drawings of Pierre Paul Prud'hon also. and there are others as well, but they all kind of fall into the Western Academic tradition. there are various branches and strains of it, some i like and some i don't. but i'll go out on a limb and say that Leyendecker and Mucha were the most dynamic (and exciting, i think) in the way they combined illustrative graphic design with traditional drawing and painting skills.

and i shouldn't forget dean cornwell. i have tons of respect for him.

also joseph clement coll and franklin booth if you want to study pen and ink.

anyway, one of these days i'll write down a list of everything in my art library and put it up here. it just takes too much time right now.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,193 Times in 1,056 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    whoa~ loving those acrylic sketches csears~ it makes me want to go and buy some now :3

Sketchbook
    Blog
    Drachen

Matt
    Jamie
    King
    Henri
    Lukas

available for commission/work
    email: mister.guiang@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to your advices i've started to understand certain things, which is leading to improvement. I owe you Chris, you are a true golden person, more of you wopuld make this world a better place, and well uhm full of super cool paintings and drawings ^^. I'd give you a big hug, but states happen to be on the other side of the globe.

Once agaian thank you, ~ICE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing!! didnt realise you can do that with your moleskine...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Chris for sharing, very generous of you!

I remember when I first got Maughan 's book, I was so fond of it. And slowly the fact that everything was done on a toned paper was a little deceptive .... He also makes a strong point on the danger of line drawings, as opposed to drawing with tones, which is sound, but many artists do start with a precise line construction of the head before going tonal (including THE man: Nathan Fowkes)

Loomis is probably my favorite so far, but I will take a look at the other books you are mentioning.

Prud'hom is a genius indeed. One of his drawings is at the Getty ( an amazing one), but I think the room is currently closed since drawings are very sensitive to light, I just love the minty feel of his drawings.
    Thanks again,

T

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hoi Hoi,
    Its admirable to see you give time for such indepth replies, even though you have such a huge pile of work. Shows you are something of a man. I am proud just to know you.
    Okay enough hugs and asspats
    Just to add to wonderful list of books you mentioned, I think
    dynamic figure drawing by Burne Hogarth is a good book too, I know its too sculptural where the massing is based on spheres rather than cubes. But the over emphasis on the muscles makes it easier for learners to know about the anatomy. Obviously something more realistic(probably Loomis) should be kept to balance things out.

Chris why dont you buy that recent harvey dunn book, that dude was a master, and although I have just seen his work online, seems like you wil love his shyt.

I need to find a book on the slav epic and other paintings by mucha, I have a book of his art nouveau stuff, and even though its beautiful it pales in comparison to his paintings. By gee,that guy could paint.

He also makes a strong point on the danger of line drawings
    could you please clarify that point, forgive me I dont have the book so......

Anyways take care

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, thanks everyone.

no time to post anything. i'm still in the middle of storyboarding 6 scenes for a videogame, just got a kinda big movie poster assignment (big for me at least), and i'm getting ready to start a 2-week stint over at Gentle Giant studios. i might miss out on doing my acrylic sketches tonight so i'm bummed about that, but there's other stuff to be excited about for now.

bhanu, i don't have the book in front of me, but i'm willing to bet that the "danger of line drawings" is just the misapplication of line or the standard art school admonition that "there are no lines in nature." (which, by the way, is a rule meant to be broken)

lines have tones in themselves, lines indicate edges, lines indicate rhythm, the overlapping of form can be indicated by lines, etc. line is super-important. if your goal is to do fully rendered tonal drawings, most of your linework will be "lost" by the finish of your piece, but their rhythm and construction will remain.

so let's put it this way, tonal drawing has to do with shapes and edges filled with certain values. how do these interlocking shapes work? by the "implied" lines of their edges and rhythms and gestures. when those implied and suggested lines are faulty, the drawing will weaken. how much actual line you keep when you sketch or render is a matter of taste and style.

one application of line that i've seen relatively recently comes from the standard-issue concept art homework exercise of doing silhouette studies. sometimes these can be really great, but i've seen more than my fair share of mediocre and horrible ones too. why do those bad examples fall apart? because their implied linework is wrong. if the silhouette makes it look as though a thigh juts out of a character's waist, or if the legs look like they're not supporting the character because the implied line of the center of weight is off balance...then you have problems. and the best way to check all of these things is with line.

keep in mind that there is always a fractal paradox in art. you use line to place shapes which eventually lose your original lines but suggest more important ones... when you start chasing your tail like this, you know you've stumbled across an important truth to figure out.

so... when you're doing some thumbnail explorations of silhouettes and such, you should expect there to be some back-and-forth between using line and shape. you might start with shapes and then double-check and refine with line, or you might start with line and then mass in shapes. either way is fine.

and... a shameless plug for Tensai (Lok Jansen)'s stuff. awesome expressive linework. b already knows, but if you don't you should check it out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lokjansen/4499096817/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lokjansen/

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man I'm so glad i found this sketchbook, you seem to have such a wealth of knowledge and you articulate it so well! Some very useful reading indeed.
    Ive been looking into working with line and rendering with line etc in my life drawings and you bring up some points to remember for sure.
    Thanks a lot for all the awesome tips!

My only crit is to get some better photographs of those acrylics - i wanna see it all in more detail!!
    Keep up the great work though man, looking forward to seeing more!

Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, looks like i'm not going to life drawing tonight... here's this one instead.

PHATandy, everyone else from before, THANKS

HAD TO REMOVE IMAGE FOR POTENTIAL CONTRACT STUFF. SORRY.

Last edited by ccsears; May 8th, 2010 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome studies. last one is just mind blowing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man ,your works are very great! I like your human practice and your colours,very good!Study from you !keep the nice work up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The forest scene is looking great. One more pass with a bit of finer detail and you could call 'er finished. Looks great as is, too, though.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Guise,

had to take all those kids illustration images down because of possible contract stuff coming up. sorry about this. kind of ruins a couple of pages of my SB. will try to post more stuff soon. actually working on the movie poster stuff tonight. i shouldn't say anything about it, but i will say it's a kids movie involving owls. 'nuff said.

Last edited by ccsears; May 8th, 2010 at 12:36 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn mate, you teach well.

the skin colours in those quick figure are brilliant. I love what you're doing with those. Great stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too bad about the contract stuff. At least we got a peak. Do repost them if you ever get the ok.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a pure pleasure flipping through your sketchbook!
    Keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm insanely busy right now. the movie poster concept stuff went really, really well last weekend but it took a huge effort--something like 30 hours of drawing, driving to kinkos, scanning, driving back to kinkos for scanning, more drawing, back to kinkos, then coloring the damn thing. in the end, there was a panoramic quin-tych design (5 posters that make one continuous image when placed side by side) that wound up being about 40 inches wide.

...and then more storyboards on the videogame.

...and then i started doing some freelance concept work at gentle giant on tuesday. really fun place over there and i'm drawing my stupid butt off. so much stuff to learn in their sculpture shop, their 3d section, the model shop, etc. i'd be pretty stoked to just hang out and learn.

so, anyway, busy as all hell and finally feeling pretty happy about it. too bad i can't show any of it because i think it's some of my better work. but maybe when the movies come out i can show it.

moleskine acrylic stuff from Wednesday night 20's and a 40.

Name:  sketches_j.jpg
Views: 1723
Size:  304.2 KB

qlanluknow Thanks
    LAL Thanks! i'll try to keep it up.
    Traveler Thanks! sorry i had to take it down though. it looks good printed out at about 24" wide. it's for presentation stuff for a potential _____. i had 4 images like that to paint at the same time so i haven't had a chance to really "finish" anything. the deadlines have been really intense.
    monsi thanks! i'm digging your new sketchbook too. hopefully i'll get a free minute to look at it some more soon.
    Traveler Thanks! i'll try to do that if it's possible. something might prevent it, but you never know...
    Wroom Thanks! i now have a ton of stuff that i want to post, but i gotta play by the rules right now. it'll all happen in a few months.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for sharing your sketches! Post more pencils, please!

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That book thing you have with acrylic, what is it? I doubt its a regular pocket sketchbook. I wanna try doing that stuff. I really wanna do some painting practise outside of the computer and that looks fun

Thanks for that pin-up site. That made my day. I've been getting tired of searching through deviant art...

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Page 63 of 89 FirstFirst ... 13 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 156