Sketchbook: ccsears sketchbook - Page 61
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: i'm thinking about teaching drawing somewhere in LA, what do you think

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • interested and live in LA area

2 28.57%
  • NOT interested and live in LA

0 0%
  • hypothetically would be interested but live outside LA area

4 57.14%
  • hypothetically would NOT be interested and live outside LA

1 14.29%
Page 61 of 89 FirstFirst ... 11 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,830 of 2647

Thread: ccsears sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These vehicles look nice and clean.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    are the drawings in pen with the last sketches? Tis hard to tell from the scans. Also what is your process for getting the ideas of the vehicles?

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Teundeboer Thanks T, Sorry about me dropping off the face of the earth, but some crazy shit has been happening.

My57Those were all lunchtime sketches at the game Developers Conference in SF. The guy at Insomniac knew my former teacher, so we talked for a little while. (he really wants me to start learning ZBrush...). When he wrote down his e-mail address, he liked my pen, so we swapped.

cool story bro.

so these lunchtime sketches are blue ballpoint (mine) and then i took his hitec 0.25 (by Pilot, I think) and kind of inked over them more cleanly.

these are all kind of free association. picking my shapes and doing things with them, sometimes with a deliberate starting point, sometimes not. yeah, i know this isn't really helpful... on the first two pages, i was kind of interested in asymmetry--putting the cockpit on one side and the engine/gun/whatever on the other. mixed in with all of that are some ramblings on the knife-runner kind of vehicles i've been doodling with. i like the idea of a razor-sharp blade like thing that cuts through "magnetic" field lines or something like that. just strap a motorcycle seat or a cockpit to it.

if i blow up the scale on that concept, it turns into a kind of flattened, battleship thing. which is also kind of cool. from the side, i like the katana/blade/knife/sword feeling.

there's a battleship turret in there with the same kind of device, but as a weapon.

that third page is more conventional, i guess. but i was still playing with some asymmetrical ideas.

i've got a couple more things up my sleeve, but i want to keep them private for now. the knife-edge concepts came out of a project i was working on where the assignment was to make a vehicle that interacted with a kind of global field instead of having any signs of an onboard engine. (those motorcycle-ish thingys i did a few pages back last summer/fall).

anyways... i've been reading a ton of science fiction, so that's the direction i'm heading eventually. doing straight-up military airplane type stuff isn't that interesting to me at the moment (although i spent a couple years of my childhood drawing that stuff over and over again when i was learning perspective.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wicked draws. and those ships are super dope. Way to be rad. :]

Phil L.
    www.phillietz.blogspot.com
    www.phillietz.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey mate. Liking this sketchbook. That last painting book cover image you did looks freaking awesome! Reminds me of the old hardy boys covers. Is that digital or traditional? I can't tell (which i guess is good)

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice portrait drawing!

Thanks for sharing the info, it kinda helped. I still wish I could have nice clean lines like that D:

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice portrait drawing!

Thanks for sharing the info, it kinda helped. I still wish I could have nice clean lines like that though D:

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    can't say what this one is for... but i think i can show it.

Name:  DSCN3700w.jpg
Views: 2282
Size:  183.6 KB

phizpietl Thanks man! I checked out your site and you have some really nice work up there. Gorgeous pencils and i like the ink stuff too.

a_mckeown Thanks! the client contacted me because they saw a painting study i did from an old james bama Doc Savage book cover. that's more or less exactly what they wanted this time. The image is like 90-95% traditional oil painting. I tweaked the colors in photoshop from the photograph i shot of the original, and then i popped a few details and used some texturing on the background. the paint wasn't drying fast enough for me to get it all done by the deadline.

My57 Thanks. The clean lines really only come from 3 or 4 things, I think. (I'll probably change my mind tomorrow)
    1) draw bigger lines with bigger motions--draw from the shoulder/elbow to make cleaner lines. use wrist/fingers for detailing.
    2) get out of the habit of the back and forth "sketching" motion--back and forth "hairy" hatched up lines. there's a time and a place for doing that deliberately, but it can't be used to cover up guessing
    3) the obvious one---keep construction lines lighter than your finished lines if you can't erase them. if that isn't possible, then maybe keep them much thinner than the finished lines.
    4) clean lines come from being decisive about what you're designing. doesn't mean you have to see the finished drawing in your mind's eye before you draw, but you do have to commit to what you're drawing. for the finished line work, just tell yourself over and over "i will design the hell out of my shapes. i will design the hell outta my shapes." and it will eventually work for you. also, it will eventually lead to your own shape vocabulary and personal style.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    hey,
    bhanu told me about you, i knew the thread and admired it but more than often silently.

just wanted to take some time and say thank you for putting so much time in sharing what you've learned with us. i think it's great when someone does that and lately way too many people just ignore it.

i hope this finds you well and i hope your problems will soon be forgotten.
    cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These last two portraits are amazing

And I have to say that I've really enjoyed the aircraft/spacecraft designs quite specially the more organic ones

Did I greet you for the Flight Laser fire tests?

Cheers!!

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Top notch! Do keep posting.

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man your work is top notch, plus your portraits are very very nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all the support, it helps a lot.

that last portrait was part of a presentation for a sculpture commission of ________________(very, very wealthy person i can't name) by my friend John Brown (the sculpture dude at Gnomon). It's a private commission, and this is just one out of several sketches showing a treatment of the guy's head/face, but it could be a good gig. i did this from a photograph but radically changed aspects of the face to create a stronger jawline, fuller hair, all kinds of stuff--in other words, you probably wouldn't recognize the guy from this drawing unless you knew him personally. weird way of saying it i guess, but that's about all i can say about it for now. we did get feedback from the "agent" today and they loved some of the ideas, so hopefully there will be good news coming on this one soon.

for the next two weeks, i'm going to be working on stuff for my other friends' movie pitch. i'm not going to be making much money up front. maybe enough to pay my bills, but probably not. so it looks like i'm going to have to almost wipe out my savings soon. needless to say, it's pretty fucking stressful and a kind of do-or-die situation.

speaking of grudges... i've been turned down for gigs by this one agency because they thought i couldn't live up to this level of quality:
    Name:  sample.jpg
Views: 2214
Size:  32.2 KB
    copyright: not mine, somebody else. courtesy of ___blah blah blah agency.

i'm not saying anything at all about the artist who did these. i know what it's like to cut corners or rush to meet deadlines, and i've done enough gigs to know what's what. i'm happy the guy/girl got paid for drawing. but, can you look at my portfolio (and my humble but slowly growing client list) and honestly think i can't pull this off? the art representative who sent me this was more than a little insulting. considering he makes his living scraping percentages off of freelancers like me who have to bust their butts all the time, he should have developed a better eye by now. someday, i'll drop the info on this person and let the artists have their revenge... payback's a bitch.

well guys, anyway... there are days when you get shit like this, and there are clients who will give you shit like this for 3 years straight with big greedy grins on their demonic faces. the economy is crap and the market is saturated--be prepared for dealing with an insane amount of bullshit.

enough of the grudges. on to comments and then back to work...

sickbrush Thanks man! I really appreciate it. (especially on days like today.) I checked out your SB and you've got some good stuff going on. I'm guilty of lurking without replying too, but I'll try to get back to you soon. p.s. hit me up with your personal info (email, etc) in a PM, or get my info through bhanu.

Quike Thanks! Cheers on the missile shootdown. believe it or not, i'm actually designing a t-shirt for the Beam Control team out there in the desert. haha.

traveler Thanks! I'll keep doing as much as I can here.

JustinBeckett Thanks!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That sucks man! That would bug the crap out of me. Hell I could draw something like that D:

Well good luck next time, beggars can't be choosers so to speak I suppose. You'll get your revenge one of these days >.>

Thanks for the tips, for some reason my browser posted the message twice without me knowing it. I'll try keeping them in mind when I'm drawing. I think I have to practise at being more "decisive" when I draw, I tend to be messy when I draw from my head...

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol I would say that this was your "crap" your stuff is a lot better then most people stuff, I'm in the mists of learning the basics for the most part still. My gesture drawings arnt the best but hell I can't get any worse lol. Your lines are very clean, I can never figure out how people get their lines so clean even pencil my lines suck. Anyway some cool stuff here, Happy Trails.

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

bhanu is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i think the fact that you can pull really strong works in little time makes people/agents think, "oh he must have given 2 hours to this drawing, so he's probably lying that its a fast sketch." Dunno, it still bums me that first of all someone can even compare your work to the sample you showed. No offense to the artist, hes good, just comparatively much lower, like if you were a super saiyan, hes...turtle? Seriously, I am not saying this cuz you are my homie or something. ACtually the depth of knowledge and the adeptness of execution shows through and through your work. Its at a level when comparing it with any artist(I mean anyone), is injustice.
    Its at a point where you have your own niche, style.
    About the market being saturated, I think its about exacting the most from the type of promotion that you are doing. Its one hard thing to do, but you have to try a few more tactics too, maybe ask more experienced people what wierd stuff they did to gain attention. Hmmm, I hope that this stupid bullshit doesnt get to you. Keep strong.

Much love.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, "it" deleted my post as i was posting it again... zbrush practice

comments later.

Name:  20100320_headsketch01.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  79.6 KB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Absolutly stunning work,
    Concerning the reason why you didn't get the job at the agency, it might be because most of your work looks very traditionnal and classic. It's not an insult at all, your drawing skills are outstanding but maybe they didn't want someone with those skills and prefered someone with a more cartoonish style. That's the only reason I can see.
    Don't lose faith, you're great

NickyBeats is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,587 Times in 1,962 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    keep your head up dude. persistence will always win out, so long as you keep your head up. we got faith in you bro.

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i got sick of the blue paper stuff for a day. so i did this in acrylic. it started off very very fast, but then stalled completely. why? because cheap blick acrylics suck! the raw umber that comes in the bottle is the worst thing i've ever tried to paint with. shit consistency, shit pigment load, just plain shit.

i took an extra half-hour for the lunch break to drive home and pick up my good acrylics and then banged this out as quick as i could.

did i mention that they suck yet? lol.

they suck so bad, i feel offended for all the part-time hobbyist painters that get suckered into buying them. they suck so bad, blick should offer a refund.

i guess the moral of the story is to use the best paint you can afford. or, if you're going to try to use student grade paint, at least stick with a name brand. e.g. liquitex Basics instead of Dick f'ing Blick.

Name:  DSCN3704.JPG
Views: 1882
Size:  160.0 KB

feil magnus thanks man, i understand what you're saying, but i've run into other artists who've gotten evern worse treatment from this guy. for example, he'll send you an email asking for you to call him at the office. you'll call. and then he'll just repeatedly hang up on you. i've got cartoonish covered already--advertising for "curious george 2" and "how to train your dragon." so when he asks for different styles or subject matter, he's really just busting my balls.

NickyBeats thanks man. i'll get there one way or another.

imaginairy believe it or not, he is his own boss. i don't know if he owns the company or not, but he's the head artist representative.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't been here in a while - fun to read what you are going through Chris ( and slightly harrowing!).. it's not for lack of kick-a$$ work for sure! great to see all the work man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a question! How do you paint in acrylics? They dry so fast that its so damn hard to get anywhere with them. I got oil paints and I know how to use them but acrylics confuzzle me. Or am I just to slow at using them?

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this is kind of an insurance policy of sorts. i still haven't been paid for this one--or any of the other related work. no contract. nothing. just proof of the date i completed it and who did it. (Please don't crash CA.org!) I'm so tired of being fucked over... added cats, changed the hands a little, added some more details and texturey things. whatever.

HAD TO REMOVE IMAGE FOR POTENTIAL CONTRACT STUFF. SORRY.

and a t-shirt logo design i'm doing for friends at my old job. BCFC = Beam Control / Fire Control. in other words, all the funny space-age mirrors and cameras that make a pretty beam and zap a target. the HEL (high energy laser) was a different team. (I did some research assistant stuff with a smaller version of it in college. I hated being around those damn chemicals)
    maybe Lockheed will let me sell versions of it after they're done with the design...subsidize my art habit with the power of directed energy!

Name:  bcfc_logo_01_web.jpg
Views: 1825
Size:  130.0 KB

kevinwueste Thanks Kevin, I'm going to be up in SF for WonderCon april 2-4. Just shopping my portfolio around, etc. If you're in the neighborhood, gimme a call (send me a PM and we'll trade contact info). if i remember, i'll try to look up your e-mail from a few months back.

my57 No short answer for that. I've used about three different methods of working. they're pretty basic. acrylic is very versatile though, and you can combine it with other mediums for all kinds of effects.

1) straight out of the tube, maybe thinned a little with matte medium

2)watercolor-ish. thinned way down with water until they turn transparent. the softer acrylics are better for this. sorayama uses this way of working a lot.

3) kind of like oil paints. using matte medium as a painting medium. maybe also a little retarder/extender to smooth out brush strokes.

if you're having trouble with the drying time, here are some tips:
    --always squeeze your acrylics out on something wet. I take a papertowel and fold it up into a strip a couple of layers thick--so it's like 1.5"x12" and 4 layers thick. then i wet that under the sink and squeeze off the excess water. i lay that strip at the top of my paper palette and squeeze my paints on that. if i want to use another sheet of the paper palette, no problem. just set aside the paper towel, tear off the old sheet, and put the paper towel back down again.

--i'm no authority on it, but water tends to make acrylics dry faster than matte medium. also makes the consistency a little bit sketchy. also makes it harder to do smoother transitions. matte medium is the key. the quality isn't the same, but you can also try latex paint thinner at home depot or lowe's. it's in the painting department and looks like a milky white fluid in a beige jug. it thins out to transparent when you paint with it.

--mix a little Golden Retarder (it might be called Extender, i forget) in with your medium. it comes in a pointed squeeze bottle looking thing. like elmer's glue. it really helps eliminate brush strokes if you're trying to do smooth effects.

--if you're going for a pretty finished look, plan on painting in layers. use acrylic's quick drying time to your advantage. think of it this way--you can do a classical oil painting treatment--underpainting, glazes, velaturas--of a head in about 3-4 hours. much, much faster than what it would take with oils, but the finesse suffers a little.

--if you need to scrub off some acrylic and rework an area of your painting. you can try using Windex or any glass cleaner that contains ammonia. (I learned this one from Mike Butkus) Experiment with it on a scrap before you ruin a big painting though.

Last edited by ccsears; May 8th, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    lol mate is he a fool or something? Your work is awesome, accurate, consistent.
    Maybe tell him to ask the other artist to do something you do, i bet everything can change.
    Anyway thnx for keep sharing technical infos and awesome works
    keep up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really enjoying the sense of form in your latest zbrush sketch great skecthbook from top to bottom! thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, been following your SB since I started lurking CA.org a few years back. Really inspirational stuff, and your words of wisdom have helped a ton.

That company on March 16th, is that the same one we've been hearing about or a more recent occurrence?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,381 Times in 543 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    gaah, CA seems to just crash on me today, i'll just write an email mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i feel guilty if the last page in my SB doesn't have any pictures on it.

something i'm working on for somebody's movie pitch. this is cropped and unfinished. other than that i have no comment. still haven't been paid. like usual.

kingkostas yes, yes he is a fool
    Dr Popcorn Thanks doc.
    mdbauman Probably the same one i was griping about. not the one that hasn't paid me, but the one that keeps refusing to hire me.
    sickbrush yeah, i know what you mean. drop me a line whenever.

Last edited by ccsears; May 8th, 2010 at 12:28 AM.

Page 61 of 89 FirstFirst ... 11 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 157