Sketchbook: ccsears sketchbook - Page 39
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: i'm thinking about teaching drawing somewhere in LA, what do you think

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • interested and live in LA area

2 28.57%
  • NOT interested and live in LA

0 0%
  • hypothetically would be interested but live outside LA area

4 57.14%
  • hypothetically would NOT be interested and live outside LA

1 14.29%
Page 39 of 89 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 2647

Thread: ccsears sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the words of experience and those ivan aivazovsky links. That guy's a beast.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    new news about my old job... anyway, i'll be out of state for the next week. finally getting a vacation after 7 years. see you guys later.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...l-metal-budget

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats!

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

5. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What? A vacation? After 7 years? And here i thought i was lazy, you need to be more produ... ok, im just messing. Have fun with whatever you'r planning on doing dude!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Imaginary For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, mate, no more laser plane... Wild. Guess there's no way you'd be forced to go back to it now, hey?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there will still be one laser plane... they just put number two back on the shelf. no big deal. number one better work before they invest in number two. that said, they really do need to shit or get off the pot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the pacific ocean as seen from the kona side of the big island of hawaii.
    Name:  3462963264_a811518bb2_b.jpg
Views: 2114
Size:  304.3 KB

the sunset as seen from the top of the mauna kea volcano. 13,793 feet above sea level. and then i went on a stargazing tour... fucking incredible.
    Name:  3462106585_918fdaac79_b.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  205.0 KB

and i caught my first waves with the expert instruction of Dante at the Kona Surf Company at kahalu'u beach. it was also a really cool experience. belieive it or not, the dude is 50 years old and a complete badass.
    Name:  3462893146_1fe8a23916_b.jpg
Views: 2107
Size:  301.0 KB

my friend tae-jin and i stayed at a hostel--which is really the only good way to travel in my opinion. it averages out to about 25-30$ per day which is much cheaper than any hotel you can stay at. besides, we met people from germany, switzerland, scotland, england, quebec, british colombia, spain, holland, the netherlands, and france. all just hanging out on the porch and kicking back. brings back the wanderlust in me.

i'll post more artwork tonight after i scan a few things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah yeah! Did your nipples get all raw? Hurts to put your shirt back on, huh? Heheheheh. I love it. Sounds like you had a time, man. Very happy for you. Cheers.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the city of refuge was exactly that. if you were a prisoner of war or a criminal and you managed to escape to here, you were granted sanctuary. this is a temple at the historical monument. a very profound place.
    Name:  3464206507_a49549ee90_b.jpg
Views: 2047
Size:  394.7 KB

sigrid at the hostel. i drew this in 15 minutes while she read a book called "the red shark." touched it up and did some rendering afterwards.
    she's on a spiritual path. she and i talked at great length about many things. there's a quote i would use here about it from "the varieties of religious experience" but i'll just keep that to myself. a very kind person.
    Name:  3465022986_4a22d1b4bb_b.jpg
Views: 2080
Size:  519.8 KB

i drew dante, the surf instructor, from life and gave the original to him as a thank-you. i drew this later on that night from memory.
    Name:  3464207501_075ab391f5_b.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  477.2 KB

while tim was hiking somewhere, i sat in a coffee shop and drew this picture from a magazine. jackson's chameleon has three horns like a triceratops. sigrid found one dead in the road the same day and told me that evening at the hostel. spooky...
    Name:  3465024106_10759737d8_b.jpg
Views: 2085
Size:  521.7 KB

i'm a little nervous in open water, but doing this was a really cool thing for me. i really felt good afterwards. shit, i even had dreams about it afterwards. jeez, lookit how fucking pale i am...damn ghost rider.
    Name:  3465037000_705ae60ac6_b.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  339.7 KB

staticpen aloha brah! no nipple problems for me. the surfing/wet-suit style shirt took care of all that. but the sunburn was a bitch. 19 degrees latitude is not for the pale howlies like me.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice head study's!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Joce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your drawings on gray paper . There's so much life in those faces even with the minimal details. I'm particularly fond of how you use your white colored pencil . That's some serious line economy dude8) .

Cheers man

19. The Following User Says Thank You to akabraille For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsears View Post
    my friend tae-jin and i stayed at a hostel--which is really the only good way to travel in my opinion. it averages out to about 25-30$ per day which is much cheaper than any hotel you can stay at. besides, we met people from germany, switzerland, scotland, england, quebec, british colombia, spain, holland, the netherlands, and france. all just hanging out on the porch and kicking back. brings back the wanderlust in me.
    holland and the netherlands are the same country

amazing art work here man! love the toned paper pieces!

frank

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank Gressie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    frank thanks.

i wondered about that. my dumb american geography skills are pretty weak. there was a married couple there. the husband said he was from holland, and then later the wife said she was from the netherlands. i think it's an inside joke the Dutch like to play on us... i'm going to start calling myself a unitedstates-er if i ever go over there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like a fun holiday dude Your sketchbook inspires me greatly. I looked through it all about 2 months ago, from start to finish. It's sketchbooks like yours that make me want to be an artist. The variety of top quality work, simply astounds me. Keep up the awesomeness!!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bri Bri For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find your sketchbook really inspirational. I read your discourse about drawing and I find it really interesting. I don't understand how you still aren't working as a professional illustrator/or artist. Your work have a professional level. Keep up the good work!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to J.R.Segura For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha was just going to stop in really quick and see what you were up to and darn if I didnt spend an hour and a half going through your book, so many amazin drawings and tons of great advice, thanks so much, keep rockin!

sketchbook

"If you ever give your best... well give it better"-Maniac...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to localfatheaded For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry i haven't been posting more and replying to comments, but i've been hella busy.

can't say anything in detail about this one. i took the characters and action out and cropped out the rest of the pic. so all i can say is that it's for a tv series pitch. and it's a cool storyline involving...wait... shit i can't say that either. well, the client is a pretty damn cool writer who has a phD in mytholoogy!

anyway, it's a pretty exciting story and it's pushing my limits.

painter xi. copyright C.J. Dolben 2009
    Name:  3486966682_e9a9f12bde_b.jpg
Views: 1714
Size:  235.7 KB

i can only go back a little ways with the comments... apollylogies.
    joce, akabraille thanks! in an economy like this, i gotta conserve pencil lead...
    frank thanks again for the geography whaack to the head. i needed it.
    bribri, jr segura, localfathead thanks everybody. i do get professional work, but it's just really sparse right now. there have been a bunch of other circumstances holding me back in some ways too, but i won't make any excuses. consistent high-quality work will get me in the door sooner or later. so it's back to working on consistency and quality for me...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I really like your drawings on the brown paper... The idea of rendering in white is so pretty! I do especially like the chameleon you did, it looks like it is going to move right now.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Katanasoul For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If I look at this last one like an ink blob I see those things the storm troopers ride on in Return of the Jedi when they're guarding that one place in the jungle... and then Leah and the Ewoks ambush that one dude, etc etc etc.
    Great sketches, too. The shadow shapes are always a pleasure to look at.
    And yeah... I had the Netherlands and Holland thing confused for the longest time, too. I didn't even get it worked out when I was there, hahaha. Shows how bad I am at remembering geographical stuff. You're not alone, anyway.
    Good luck with the new pitch, dude!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff Chris. Hope you enjoyed those rides on the waves..

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Kan Muftić For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like you enjoyed the trip, chris

Its awesome you got a gig now! cant wait til we are able to see what your hands have been up to.

I just finished an illustration using gouache, airbrush and colored pencil and would like to get your take on it, if you dont mind.

keep up the amazing work!

Representing Ringling College of Art and Design Class 2012

Blog
    (its pretty rad)

Current Sketchbook

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Equality72521 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow these are just great! I love your style! I especially like the skull drawings you did at the top of the page and your figures are absolutely stunning!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr Thunder For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff. I really like the first page especially. I only drew with pen for a long time, and never achieved that kind of quality. Great work. Keep it going.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Masayasu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey ccsears! I love your stuff, especially your pen work and pencil work... your lines are incredible! Its insane that you could handle an unrelated art job, while perfecting your art. I hope to see much more from you soon, and your helping thread was quite helpful, especially for pen work

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Not_Deadman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Post 1158 is a good looking start. Anticipating, but it won't stop
    me from visualising right now. Good stuff.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i can't really comment about this except to say that it is severely cropped and the character layers are turned off. if something in the perspective looks off--it's on purpose. i haven't posted anything for longer than usual, so i'll risk this much. copyright Vortex Pix.
    Name:  3505800045_066488e33e_b.jpg
Views: 1371
Size:  92.6 KB

but there's a lot of exciting stuff happening for me. there's a TV show (or graphic novel) pitch that i'm doing previz and conceptual design for.

then there was a 2-hour last minute gig for an ad agency today.

then there's storyboards for about 5 minutes of in-game cinematics in a sequel to a very popular video game that i can't say anything about--that should be going on for a good month i hope.

last but not least, i might do some advertising storyboards for an ad agency for a pixar project (my fingers are crossed on that one).

so...i'm really f'ing busy all of a sudden. wish me luck, i'm going to need it.

...and thanks to mike butkus for all kinds of help!

playing catch-up...
    dwardo when the whole thing is done, i'll ask what i can reveal and what i can't. this desert scene is so lo-res and cropped compared to the original, i'm risking breaking the contract and throwing it in here just to keep posting something. wish i could post finished environments or characters, but i can't. the writer is super-cool though. i'm adjusting to some communication style differences, but i can tell we will get along really well. i'm hoping there will eventually be a graphic novel type thing. it would kick ass.

Not_Deadman not perfected by a long shot, but thanks! i'm glad the pen stuff helped. definitely look up Chromosome's SB thread on CA.org. his ballpoint work is beautiful.

Masayasu thanks! i figured out that ballpoint could do some subtle stuff back in 1992 while i was in high school. ever since, i kind of avoided graphite. but i'm itching to start doing that again sometime. but for sketchbook stuff i prefer ballpoint. doesn't smear or smudge or fade with time that much.

Dr. Thunder thanks doc!

Equality 72521 the trip was just what the doctor ordered. i've seen more than my share of misery lately. gives me motivation to work hard again so i can take another break like that. I saw that Mike stopped by your thread too. definitely listen to his advice first!

Chupacabra thanks man. i'm actually terrified of open water, but i needed to get over it. surfing is good motivation. feels like skateboarding on top of a living thing. a very gnarly feeling. and i suck at it bad.

staticpen haha i know what you mean. speeder bike stuff. you say tomato, i say dutch. i really think it's like an inside joke or something. I should ask Tensai about it sometime.

katanasoul thanks. it's actually gray, but my camera and photoshop warm it up when i try to take a decent photo under incandescent lighting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh, look at all this fancy work you're getting! Very happy for you, dude. You knock 'em dead.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Retronym is offline Disscepolo para sperientia Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful, inspirational stuff here, dont ever stop sharing.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Retronym For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like these heads on brown paper!
    Nice lightning!

cgHub
    Facebook
    DA

Sketchbook

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Timmi-o-Tool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick doodle from imagination before bed. just playing around with tapered conter 22 and smudge and eraser in corel painter 11. trying to simulate the real thing a little bit...

Name:  20090507_sketch.jpg
Views: 2500
Size:  286.5 KB

staticpen, retronym, timmi-o-tool Thanks you guys!

Page 39 of 89 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 157