Sketchbook: ccsears sketchbook - Page 27
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: i'm thinking about teaching drawing somewhere in LA, what do you think

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • interested and live in LA area

2 28.57%
  • NOT interested and live in LA

0 0%
  • hypothetically would be interested but live outside LA area

4 57.14%
  • hypothetically would NOT be interested and live outside LA

1 14.29%
Page 27 of 89 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 77 ... LastLast

Thread: ccsears sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,277 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Happy New Year!

Mark suggested that I try doing some black and white colored pencil on gray paper drawings, so i chopped up some paper and took it to kinkos to have it bound into a sketchbook.

The uploader tends to seize up when i try to do this many images and leave comments, so it might take one or two tries to get this online...

i'm not going to go into detail here... starting out there are a bunch of leyendecker head studies. then a few studies from mark's book of poses. then a few limited color experiments. then a few more of the same. and then a couple of 20-25 minute poses at the palette and chisel's drawing marathon on new year's day. i had the ball rolling in the right direction, but i started feeling sick and had to leave early. don't eat at 7-11 if you've got a sensitive stomach...

Name:  3166070126_86d7127e38_b.jpg
Views: 2006
Size:  478.4 KB
    Name:  3165241109_6596fb17a6_b.jpg
Views: 1997
Size:  447.9 KB
    Name:  3166070488_7cf8d99b44_b.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  251.8 KB
    Name:  3165241417_326a5d060a_b.jpg
Views: 1992
Size:  389.5 KB
    Name:  3165241639_38c1c75549_b.jpg
Views: 1995
Size:  400.0 KB
    Name:  3165241899_f25f81411d_b.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  495.6 KB
    Name:  3165242401_e548a87e66.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  174.8 KB
    Name:  3165242821_6c10be743f.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  167.0 KB
    Name:  3166072250_2717aca655_b.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  398.1 KB
    Name:  3166072366_b26fe48b89_b.jpg
Views: 1950
Size:  302.4 KB
    Name:  3165243337_45edae52b1_b.jpg
Views: 1950
Size:  448.3 KB
    Name:  3165243427_a60ee779bf_b.jpg
Views: 1948
Size:  382.5 KB

i'll leave comments in the next post...

Last edited by ccsears; January 4th, 2009 at 02:43 AM. Reason: typo
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ccsears For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    imaginary Thanks, I am too. It might take some work after the class is finished, but I think I'll get around to it. Maybe I'll take it over to john brown's place and get some advice from him on finishing techniques.

kidult thanks, man. same to you!

retardedmonkey thanks. some people get annoyed by it--i tend to think i sound pedantic when i give a detailed answer--but i do try to help answer what i can when i've got the time. all the tracing paper does is remove the anxiety of getting proportions correct and help you focus on the decision-and-design process. can be useful in learning how to make a good shape with interesting edges and dynamic rhythms out of an eye socket, etc... it's just one of an infinite number of exercises you can do, but it is effective if you constantly feel pressed for time.

MJ ALcazar Thanks, I'm glad you stopped by. Keep up the good work with your CHOW entries. I think you're heading in the right direction.

staticpen Thanks for all the comments man. I know what it's like to play catch-up. I turned 30, four years ago, before I had my first computer capable of handling Painter IX, and didn't get into photoshop until roughly 2 years ago. it can be really intimidating to learn all this digital stuff from scratch while working a job with limited access to other artists. all i can say is to keep at it and you will eventually succeed.

as far as john watkiss goes... he's moved back to england, and seems to be focusing a lot more on fine art. although, i've heard rumors that he's responsible for some incredible storyboards for the new Sherlock Holmes movie with jude law and robert downey junior... if that's true it will be some kickass cinematography for sure.

john's background is very diverse, but from what he told me while i briefly studied with him, he studied the works of Alex Raymond--an old comic strip artist. John also worked on graphic novels like Ring of Roses--the 1980's dystopian stuff. Very Very similar to V for Vendetta in a lot of ways.

anyway, i've seen john do drawings on typing paper with a sharpie marker that would make your jaw drop. he's a fucking incredible artist.

as far as books, there are two i remember. one is Shot by Shot. and the other is called Storyboarding: from image to (blahblah blah). They were on my bookshelf, but they're probably in a pile by my bed right now. You can also check out books about visual storytelling and cinematography, but it's kind of hit or miss.

as far as practicing goes, i spent a lot of time reverse-storyboarding commercials and scenes from movies. when i first did it, i used to hit pause at what i thought was an appropriate moment and then draw it. a better way to practice is to just watch the thing over and over and over again and try to draw it from memory and imagination. most of the time you storyboard without reference. for some things, you might shoot your own reference for a complicated maneuver like a backflip or steal a reference photo of a car or vehicle online.

keep in mind there are different kinds of storyboarding. storyboarding for presentation is usually about tighter drawings that someone wants to show a client. i.e. it has to give a decent idea of what the finished thing will look like. if it's a car commercial, use a photo of the actual car and keep it tight. storyboarding for camera is different--they are more concerned about lighting, action, camera moves, etc. and they will occasionally give you a bunch of shit if your work looks too tight. (ironically, i've been turned down for storyboarding jobs for just that reason--my b/w stuff looked too tight so they didn't believe i could turn out enough frames per day...) those are two extremes, and there's a lot in between. el coro has a download here on CA.org that might be pretty good. i haven't watched it, but he's a really good artist and obviously really knows his shit. you might start there too.

alicelefay thanks, alice. a creative new year to you too!

MeTaL Mike Thanks man, I'll try to keep the pace going on from here.

anyway, happy new year to whomever comes this way. thanks for stopping by and leaving comments over the past year. apologies for any needless drama from this moody son of a bitch i see in the mirror every morning.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha a person's stomach has to have brick lining if they want to eat at 7-11

I love your figure studies. The grey paper was a good idea, the pictures pop a bit more.

My daily art blog

My Sketchbook

Please take a gander. =D

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Moriah For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    holy s***
    such cool stuff is awesome
    keep us updated

greets
    kristo

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Kristo Novo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
    haha a person's stomach has to have brick lining if they want to eat at 7-11

I love your figure studies. The grey paper was a good idea, the pictures pop a bit more.
    I gotta agree. They look really nice.

Awesome drawings!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BubbaGump For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Damn COOL!
    Suggestive works...I love that white pencil...yay!

I have a sketchbook!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to alicelefay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chris, awesome sketchbook. your hatching is amazing and your life drawing is top notch. I was inspired by your motivational words, especially since I started quite late and there is so much work and studies ahead of me.

It's also nice to see all this Japanese influence and references in your art, having lived in Japan myself, oh god how I miss it.

I hope I'm not out of line here by offering a little bit of critique (coming from a complete amateur, so please don't be offended). I think there's a quite a gap between your drawing from life (or reference) and from imagination. The latter seem to be less developed. Perhaps it's simply that you haven't showed much of it in this sketchbook, so please disregard it if that's the case.

Again, amazing and inspirational work. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thank you so much sir for this great sketchbook full of tips and wonderful works .

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyno For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow last stuff, very Leyendecker (edit: didn't read description). Great work.

DON'T CLICK THIS

16. The Following User Says Thank You to skullsquid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last batch is a treat, you're a helluva chef!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to SM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    absolutely supreme sb...great anathomy skills and fantastic using of so many kinds of techniques...i'm really impressed - 5* of course

wish u a creative new year man!

cheers!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to selfu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love the update man. i bet someone already asked you this but when you do ref stuff, where do you get you refs and more importantly what is good ref? i've got a bunch of photo's of models and such but the lightning is not always very interesting or dramatic with those. any tips on that?

22. The Following User Says Thank You to MeTaL-Mike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff mate. Beautiful is an understatement!

Work hard, anything is possible. I know, I know, it’s a very cheesy response but it’s true. Hard work and dedication is the key to reach your dreams. -Bjřrn Hurri

Website
    CA Sketchbook
    Facebook Page

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Hive_minD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOVE the leyedecker studies they came out fantastic instantly recognizable. the Figure drawing came out nice as well. Also really cool limited color study very informative. Thanks for sharing!

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Victor B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oooh he's back with more! The pencils look great...I really like the look of pencil drawings on toned paper. The highlights make it awesome

Great update as usual Chris!!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to retardedmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was doing this as a warm-up before i switched over to the gray book... you can still see how i think about certain things from it though. other people do it differently, but this is kind of my "default setting" right now.

borden & riley make a kind of drafting film called "denril" that works very well with colored pencil. it's cheaper than the stuff i was using--10$ or so for 25 sheets. (compared to roughly 1$ per sheet for the "good" stuff) kinda fun stuff to draw on if you like this sort of thing...

Name:  3169357121_0018f0306c_b.jpg
Views: 1769
Size:  102.7 KB

thanks for all the responses!

moriah no doubt. 7-11 in japan kicks ass. 7-11 in the u.s. sucks ass.

kristo novo thanks. i'll try. can't always promise big updates, but i'll try to stay regular.

bubbagump, alicelefay thanks!

batomaru thanks! i miss japan a ton.

Lyno thanks!

evildisco yeah, leyendecker's great to study from. it's almost like cheating because if i do even a halfway decent study from his paintings, it looks twice as good as my own shit. but it's a great learning experience all the same.

S.M. thanks! it was a treat to go home and get a chance to do some drawing like this away from work and projects and classes.

selfu thanks!

metalmike it's a good question. one answer that sounds like a copout but isn't is: different reference is good for different things. unless you shoot it yourself, it's not going to be good for everything. (and even then you're kind of limited...) sometimes it also depends on the medium and what you're trying to achieve.

as far as what to just practice figure-drawing kinds of things... generally you want a simpler lighting scheme. one main source of light and one bounce light or rim-effect on the shadow side. you don't want extreme lighting where the shadows get pushed to black and all the lights get washed out to white. but you ideally want something with a clear separation between light and shadow. drawings fall apart when the shadow values creep into the light and vice versa.

if you have lighting in a reference that isn't dramatic, push it one way or another. a good way to explain that would be something like this:
    use 1-7 for the light side and 8-10 for the shadows. or vice versa.
    in other words pick where you want your detail--in the light or in the shadow, and adjust the values you use so you maximize your effect to really heighten that effect.

other than that, it's good practice to take a reference photo, draw a *light* contour drawing and then reinvent the lighting. previous drawing experience and imagination will help you fill in the details and simplify other areas. it's hard to do, and probably not worth doing over and over and over again just for the pure discipline of it, but it's a good gauge of your figure drawing mileage. shadow and light patterns are part of your ever-increasing vocabulary. once i get a few things done, maybe i'll try to do a demo of something to explain what i'm failing to explain here. remind me in a week or two and i'll see what i can do.

hivemind, victorb, retardedmonkey Thanks, Thanks...and Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awesome dude. we'll do. thanks a lot for the advice.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to MeTaL-Mike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fucking around with ballpoint.
    Name:  3171463537_e1a26c41ec_o.jpg
Views: 1722
Size:  466.8 KB

MeTalMike No problemo.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the daily sketch group theme was "elephant / alien hybrid" just doodled this on the way out the door.... bye.

Name:  3171711345_3763e0baca_b.jpg
Views: 1667
Size:  81.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, really digging the grey paper studies, they really pop out of the page, really nice.

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Diego For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Happy New Year! And killer ballpoints, man! Wow!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to sfa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    happy new yr! and i love your stuffs! the hatching and the white pencils are amazing .The leyendecker studies rock too

I gotta go check out your mentoring thread again.

btw cute elephant alien there .and Thank you for inspiring us!

Last edited by yongs; January 6th, 2009 at 09:26 AM.
    Available for Freelance!
    Portfolio blog:yongs Art blog
    My Sketchbook

39. The Following User Says Thank You to yongs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    loevely stuff you know alot about forms.. maybe it looks a bit to steril or somethign, but i guess thats your style then? i think those posts 796, 798 are great, it has much personality

41. The Following User Says Thank You to JellevdVegt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Chris, those are some intense toned paper drawings. You've got some great line accuracy skills, cause I recognized the heads right away, before reading they were leyendecker copies. I especially like the attention gave the white background hatching. If you zoom out on pages like the lady in profile and the 3-head page with the graduate in it, you notice a nice gradient stemming from the center. I like that attention to detail and thoughtfulness is all. And the bold outlines, of course, are rad.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to staticpen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow i love the eye studies and the creatures
    this is going on my favorites
    keep on drawing

To some anything is art,but to me art is a reflection of truth and beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by madshark16 View Post
    Sweet....It makes me want to say a big word that i cannot pronounce. That is how awesome this is. I look forward to seeing much improvements this year.

MY CARTOON CHARATERS

MY SKETCH BOOK

45. The Following User Says Thank You to aprentice For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah, grey paper! If only I could get those from where I live...

This is a great sketchbook, the work is inspiring as is your work ethic...your journey is a joy to watch. (If you have any spare time, my sketchbook is all open for crits and advice )

Keep it up!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to ruuhkis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Those gray-paper drawings look fantastic! Good to see you back, you do some terrific work.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

49. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shame I never check this threadbefore, amazing studies from observation, great color painting too, look forward you can transform those knowledge to your imaginative characters

51. The Following User Says Thank You to openanewworld For This Useful Post:

HunterKiller_ is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Black and white pencil studies are beautiful.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the mermaid is at the scanners... i'm going to enter it in the spectrum competition. with a little luck maybe i'll get in.

the original is about 40" wide. colored pencil, brushed acrylic, airbrushed acrylic on gessoed illustration board. the colors look wonked out in this photo because the kitchen lights are too warm.

Name:  3184418354_c0f186db0c_b.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  447.9 KB
    Name:  3183579637_9e353c06ec_b.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  424.9 KB

Diego Thanks!
    sfa Thanks! I do like me some ballpoint... Happy New Year to you too.
    yongs Thanks! Unfortunately I haven't updated the mentoring thread for quite some time. if i ever get a steady paying gig, maybe i'll relax enough to do some more. until then, i just gotta work on the portfolio.
    teh gosu Thanks.
    staticpen Thanks, man. if that information i sent you helps, drop me a line.
    aprentice Thanks! I'll keep on drawing.
    ruuhkis Thanks! i had to make my own gray sketchbook by taking some paper to the copy shop and having them bind it... it's fun, so i hope you find a way to get some gray. definitely worth it.
    vineris Thanks! I'm not as active in the forums as i probably should be, but I'm glad I'm still around.
    openanewworld Thanks! I'll be applying it to imaginative stuff for sure.
    HunterKiller Thanks man. I'm working on figuring out the materials for color work now.... something will happen.

Page 27 of 89 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 77 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 160