Art: Help, my sculptures are getting FAT!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help, my sculptures are getting FAT!

Hey there, well i'm really relitivly new to sculpting, been doing some characters last couple of weeks, i am really pleased with them, but there is one thing bothering me!
    What it is, well when i create basemesh i do it to the size of an actual human (including bone, muscle ect) so when i come to add muscle mass the actual sculpture is alot 'fatter' than what is should be.
    Was wondering if you guys experience this and got any tips to give me?

I apologise for my aweful english.

Cheers

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey phudgey. What program are you using? You said "sculpting" and "basemesh" so I can only assume it's Zbrush, Mudbox or Blender. If you say what you're working with, you should get better answers.

Anyway, all digital sculpting programs have two ways to define shape. Additive brushes add mass (bulk) to the mesh and subtractive brushes remove mass. If you're starting with a mesh that's close to the final shape, try using more subtractive brushes to sculpt muscle definition. This will help keep the mesh from getting too large and distorted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey gdragon, thanks for the reply!
    yeah i'm using zbrush, but i think my question could apply to traditional sculpting too.
    great advice for using subtractive brushes as opposed to addative!
    any more tips welcomed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ZBrush is great. You're right, the techniques are very much like traditional sculpting (even more so with ZBrush 3).

If you haven't already, be sure to get involved in the forums at ZBrushCentral.com. They have tutorials and challenges that really help with learning.

Be sure to also post some of your work here though! I like how this forum deals with both digital and traditional sculpting. We can all learn from each other.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.